Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aqsalter

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
This problem is not a bug in Snow Leopard, it is a result of developers using unsupported APIs!!!

Apple provides an API for displaying things in the menu bar and used another one internally for it icons on the right (the ones you can drag with Command held down)... but it was an _internal_ API so they were well within their rights to change it for snow leopard. All the icons which still work are the ones using the correct API.

The reason why people used the internal API was so that you could rearrange your icons, but now all those apps are basically broken on Snow Leopard. If they are unsupported then the people who use them will have to abandon them. :/

Solution 1: Apple should let people rearrange the icons on the left of the system icons. They are basically arranged by whichever app calls the system bar registration first... usually the order they are loaded at startup, but not _always_ :(

Solution 2: Developers shouldn't use unsupported APIs. I don't want the same f'n trouble with the next upgrade.

aqsalter

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Note: A very quick fix for this.

Code:
- Download iStat menus from islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/.
- Double click the ZIP file to open it.
- Control-click or right-click iStat menus Installer and choose Show Package Contents.
- Navigate to Contents/Resources/.
- Double click iStat menus Uninstaller to run the uninstaller.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
I had the same problem I posted it about an hour ago. Something happened during my uninstall of istat pro and my menu bar totally disappeared, and finder would not start. I am in the middle of restoring 10.5.8 from a time machine backup. I am going to uninstall everything that is incompatible with SL and see if it fixes the problem.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
I have restored back to 10.5.8, deleted all the uncompatible programs,and repaired permissions. Then reinstalled 10.6 and I am still missing my menu bar, but this time when I tried to repair permissions after the SL install it said that SUID file "System/Library/Coreservices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" was changed and would not be repaired. This is getting really irritating, I just want to use this new freaken OS.

Fixed it? So far some of the icons have returned to my menu bar by doing this:

Trash the file com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
found in ~/Library/Preferences.

Then Restart the machine and I finally got my spotlight icon back.

Lesson Learned: Buy a bigger backup drive so you can back up your downloads too. Time to redownload some items that I did not backup because my TimeMachine drive did not have enough space.

stematG4

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Florence, Italy
Note: A very quick fix for this.

Code:
- Download iStat menus from islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/.
- Double click the ZIP file to open it.
- Control-click or right-click iStat menus Installer and choose Show Package Contents.
- Navigate to Contents/Resources/.
- Double click iStat menus Uninstaller to run the uninstaller.

It worked!!! Thank you!
I got my menu bar back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.