Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groundstrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
When I start PS3 Media Server I see the "Allow, Deny" Incoming Connections box pop up for a fraction of a second and then disappear...never giving me the chance. Even moving to the Beta version this didn't work. I couldn't get it to see my PS3 on the network even though PS3 Media Server is listed to allow connections under the Firewall.

I turn off the firewall and it all works great. So I am thinking that the problem is getting the Firewall settings to be saved (even though it's always listed as allow incoming) or that the Java networking engine is a separate rule that needs to be allowed. Comments? Advice?

edit: made more concise

klazterp

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
When I start PS3 Media Server I see the "Allow, Deny" Incoming Connections box pop up for a fraction of a second and then disappear...never giving me the chance. Even moving to the Beta version this didn't work. I couldn't get it to see my PS3 on the network even though PS3 Media Server is listed to allow connections under the Firewall.

I turn off the firewall and it all works great. So I am thinking that the problem is getting the Firewall settings to be saved (even though it's always listed as allow incoming) or that the Java networking engine is a separate rule that needs to be allowed. Comments? Advice?

edit: fixed tl;dr

I've got the same problem, but haven't figured out how to fix it yet.
Edit: also figures out turning off the firewall would do the trick, but that's not a longterm solution.

groundstrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
I've got the same problem, but haven't figured out how to fix it yet.
Could you explain how you did it?

Sorry, by "fixed tl'dr" I meant that I made the post more concise. However, here is my progress so far.

Turning off the Firewall: Works perfect, but I want the firewall on!
Adding PS3 Media Server to the Firewall allow: Does not work.
Also added java to the firewall allow: Does not work.

I dont see a way to add anything else pertinent through the Firewall interface. I am pretty sure that the problem is this new Firewall requires very precise instructions as to what is allowed.

I am going to look at alternatives like configuring ipfw with WaterRoof or NoobProof, but their support under 10.6 is uncertain.

klazterp

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Sorry, by "fixed tl'dr" I meant that I made the post more concise. However, here is my progress so far.

Turning off the Firewall: Works perfect, but I want the firewall on!
Adding PS3 Media Server to the Firewall allow: Does not work.
Also added java to the firewall allow: Does not work.

I dont see a way to add anything else pertinent through the Firewall interface. I am pretty sure that the problem is this new Firewall requires very precise instructions as to what is allowed.

I am going to look at alternatives like configuring ipfw with WaterRoof or NoobProof, but their support under 10.6 is uncertain.

They are looking at in over here as well: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie...id=cc57c2c7e342f8936f18e74dd2c23fba&start=250
Seems Java related, but I'm no technie.

abarna21

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
The same thing happened to me too.
I had to restart my macbook holding the shift key pressed in order to be able to see the ps3 in "ps3 media server"
After playing with it for a while i realized that i have to force the ip of the server in the config tab and it's working fine now.
Let me know if this helps
good luck

tjsears

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
works fine..

Mine works perfectly with SL and PS3 Media Server. I have a Macbook Pro (3,1). Try to give a static IP and enable port fowarding on your airport.

groundstrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
...i have to force the ip of the server in the config tab

Force it to what? The same IP as your Machine? The IP of the PS3? An IP totally different from any of those?

Mine works perfectly with SL and PS3 Media Server. I have a Macbook Pro (3,1). Try to give a static IP and enable port fowarding on your airport.

Everything is static on my network. Port Forwarding is for connections outside of your network; everything I'm doing is behind the router.

The connection is blocked at the OS X Firewall:

8/30/09 5:05:31 PM Firewall[558] Deny JavaApplicationS connecting from 10.10.1.5:55792 to port 5001 proto=6

abarna21

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Force it to what? The same IP as your Machine? The IP of the PS3? An IP totally different from any of those?

8/30/09 5:05:31 PM Firewall[558] Deny JavaApplicationS connecting from 10.10.1.5:55792 to port 5001 proto=6

i used the computer's ip address

ever since then works perfectly
let me know if it works for you

groundstrike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
i used the computer's ip address

ever since then works perfectly
let me know if it works for you

No luck, thanks though. Another interesting thing I've found is that I get the quick flash of an "Allow, Deny" firewall dialog when I open Java Preferences from Utilities.

what application, or utility are you guys using to enable the streaming of content to your ps3 console?
thanks guys in advance

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

wanlord

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
This seemed to work for me:

1. Turned off the server
2. Turned off the firewall
3. Turned the server back on (PS3 detected)
4. Turned the firewall back on (The Allow,Deny selection came up as soon as I enabled the firewall and stayed on the screen long enough to make the Allow selection)

klazterp

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Fixed!

The way to get PS media server to work as before on Snow Leopard: Rosetta, 32 bit.

Instructions:
Open Finder
Right-click on ps3 media server.app
Select Get Info
In the General tab, tick "Open in 32-bit mode" and then tick "Open using Rosetta"

This way, there's is no need to turn off the firewall or force any IP-adress.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The way to get PS media server to work as before on Snow Leopard: Rosetta, 32 bit.

Instructions:
Open Finder
Right-click on ps3 media server.app
Select Get Info
In the General tab, tick "Open in 32-bit mode" and then tick "Open using Rosetta"

This way, there's is no need to turn off the firewall or force any IP-adress.

THANKS!!! This fixed it for me at least. Should it be same performance wise because I use it with 1080p .mkv files? Thanks again, you saved my day :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.