Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12, 2004, 05:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Virtual PC 7 Delayed

ZDnet reports that Microsoft has delayed Virtual PC 7 for the Mac.

Quote:
Initially, our development and testing time line was estimated based on our experience with development of Office," Microsoft product manager Jessica Sommer said in a statement. "The developing, testing and bug fix cycle with Virtual PC is longer than that of Office and the testing more vigorous than previous version(s) of Virtual PC. Because of this, we have adjusted our release timing to match a more realistic schedule."
The new version of Virtual PC is now expected in the second half of the year, rather than the first. Version 7 will bring PowerPC G5 support. Previous versions are incompatible with the PowerMac G5s.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:21 PM   #2
advocate
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Yet another reason I won't be buying a PowerMac G5 this summer. Sigh.
advocate is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:23 PM   #3
MrMacMan
macrumors 601
 
MrMacMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 1 Block away from NYC.
Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
It better be fast.

And it better provide Real *hardware* video acceleration. No more crummy Software acceleration.

Microsoft you better do it right if your going to delay it!
__________________
There is a little Steve in all of us!
-->Folding is Fighting Against Disease and help MacRumors. Join Today!<--
Props to --> Shadowfax For Making My Avatar!
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
MacBidioulle (sp?) believes that it will be able to control video cards and therefore be able to play PC games... How awesome would that be?
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:27 PM   #5
Veldek
macrumors 68000
 
Veldek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
Another thread with an ongoing discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=71491
__________________
Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?
T. Clancy
PM G5 2x2.5 / Penryn MBP 2.4 / X.6
Veldek is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:27 PM   #6
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604
 
GFLPraxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
What, and it hadn't been delayed enough already?

It had *BETTER* be able to play games and work with the video card...and be fast...

If the only enhancement is G5 compatibilty, we'd be better off just downloading Bochs for $30 and running it on the G5...
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:29 PM   #7
Veldek
macrumors 68000
 
Veldek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr
MacBidioulle (sp?) believes that it will be able to control video cards and therefore be able to play PC games... How awesome would that be?
This would be really great. Although they said they couldn't test it because it was too unstable. But perhaps I will be able to play quite old games like Day of Defeat with a Rev B. Power Mac and VPC 7. I hope so!
__________________
Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?
T. Clancy
PM G5 2x2.5 / Penryn MBP 2.4 / X.6
Veldek is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:41 PM   #8
JonYo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SF Bay area, CA
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate
Yet another reason I won't be buying a PowerMac G5 this summer. Sigh.
Uhhhh, what? If the only reason you want a G5 is to run VPC really fast and run PC applications...why not just buy a PC? If that's NOT all you would do with a G5, why NOT buy one this late-spring/early-summer when revB G5s arrive (hopefully)?

Regardless of the video performance of the next update of VPC on G5s, anyone who likes to stay in the Mac world for most apps, but still likes PC gaming a lot, ought to just have both a Mac and a PC. PC gaming-related HW upgrade cycles (high end video cards, controllers, etc) happen so fast, that it's futile to rely on VPC performance via software updates to constantly keep up with that in terms of compatability. The Mac-native game market is so tiny in comparison to the PC game market, that it doesn't even register on the radar.

Video games interest me about as much as watching paint dry, but that's just me.

My guess: A new VPC update will be released for G5 comatability before the next rev G5 desktops make it to end users. (Not the "possibily imminent" revB G5 anouncement mind you, I mean when actual shipments start reaching customers) I doubt this update will do much more than bring G5 compatability. I think the extreme video performance boost that would be brought on by having Windows able to access the video card directly will take longer to work out, if they're really trying to do that.

- JonYo
JonYo is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:46 PM   #9
derboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
As if microsoft could give a ***** about the release date. The fact that they are trying to fix bugs before release says it all. - And any optimisation will be when exactly??

Could this project be slowed down any further. To actually buy out connectix is proof enough that they dont want any kind of comparison of window on a mac over a pc, to be available.

What a joke. - bothered
derboy is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:46 PM   #10
virividox
macrumors 68040
 
virividox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
they are adding vulnerabilites that all windoze boxes suffer from incorporating that into osx is difficult tho
hehe

seriously it better be worth the wait
__________________
17" MBP , 2 gig ram, 200 gig fw800 + 120 gig fw400 + 250 gig usb2 ext, 5g 80gig Ipod, Tiger
d200 & d70
virividox is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:55 PM   #11
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
I'm surprised how little I need to run anything in Windows. In the last year I have needed that ZERO times other than testing a page of my creation in Windows Internet Explorer. And my whole business is creating multimedia for Windows customers. Now that Director for Mac exports Windows apps, I may never have much need of Windows again.

I must not be alone, because I'm surprised there hasn't been more vocal protest over the past year that G5s can't yet run Windows. Necessary for some of course, but I'm surprised how few people truly need it.

There really are good Mac alternatives for most people.

I still may upgrade my copy of VPC "just in case"--if the next version is good enough. MBU has done some good work in the past, after all.
nagromme is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 05:58 PM   #12
dizastor
macrumors 6502a
 
dizastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by virividox
they are adding vulnerabilites that all windoze boxes suffer from
I heard they are also working on a way cause a systemwide OSX crash from within VPC... they are still working day and night on that. They are said to have an OSX version of the Blue Screen of Death in Beta testing.

I can't wait!
__________________
ejc on Twitter
dizastor is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:09 PM   #13
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601
 
SiliconAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonYo
ought to just have both a Mac and a PC. PC gaming-related HW upgrade cycles (high end video cards, controllers, etc) happen so fast,

Ya right. Some of us don't have the room for two desktops and two monitors.
__________________
-iPod Video 160GB
-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz/3GB RAM/250GB

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:14 PM   #14
Flowbee
macrumors 68030
 
Flowbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alameda, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by derboy
As if microsoft could give a ***** about the release date. The fact that they are trying to fix bugs before release says it all. - And any optimisation will be when exactly??

Could this project be slowed down any further. To actually buy out connectix is proof enough that they dont want any kind of comparison of window on a mac over a pc, to be available.

What a joke. - bothered
The fact is, if the new VPC *can* actually take advantage of your video card, making it possible to run programs faster and play PC games, MS will sell tons of Office/VPC/XP software to Mac users. You'd better believe that MS would love to have a copy of XP installed on every Mac possibe.

They also know that Mac users will be super-critical of the new VPC. If there are any major flaws, it will be a disaster. They're better off making sure it works properly before releasing it.
__________________
Podophile.com >> Home of Nike+iPod hacks and FAQs.
Flowbee is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:17 PM   #15
iMeowbot
macrumors 601
 
iMeowbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
Ya right. Some of us don't have the room for two desktops and two monitors.
Look here and here, and use your imagination on the PC placement. Very cool stuff.

Last edited by iMeowbot; May 12, 2004 at 06:18 PM. Reason: no me can type
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:30 PM   #16
ZildjianKX
Guest
 
ZildjianKX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldek
Another thread with an ongoing discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=71491
Not to mention the other thread is about 14 hours older too
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:32 PM   #17
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601
 
SiliconAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
Look here and here, and use your imagination on the PC placement. Very cool stuff.

Yes and have you ever tried VNC with games? Can you say refresh rate hell? Beyond that what happens when I take my G5 17" PowerBook Somewhere where I want to access MapPoint, MS Access, Encarta.
__________________
-iPod Video 160GB
-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz/3GB RAM/250GB

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:34 PM   #18
derboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
The fact is, if the new VPC *can* actually take advantage of your video card, making it possible to run programs faster and play PC games, MS will sell tons of Office/VPC/XP software to Mac users. You'd better believe that MS would love to have a copy of XP installed on every Mac possibe.

They also know that Mac users will be super-critical of the new VPC. If there are any major flaws, it will be a disaster. They're better off making sure it works properly before releasing it.

Today 11:09 PM
Sorry, if that was true vpc would have been released ages ago. For one of the biggest multinational companies not having developed this project is pathetic. They have not given it the resources because its too risky to do and there are too many conflicts at board level.
derboy is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:36 PM   #19
ZildjianKX
Guest
 
ZildjianKX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
Ya right. Some of us don't have the room for two desktops and two monitors.
If i was to get a PC to compliment my mac, I would buy a case from here and use a monitor with dual inputs... another reason not to buy an Apple Studio Display. I would Remote Desktop Connection for most of my windows needs, or just switch the video inputs. You could use a USB switch box to switch your mouse and keyboard from the mac to the PC...
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:46 PM   #20
Phatpat
macrumors 6502a
 
Phatpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Phatpat
Before I got my first mac, I was very concerned about the availability and performance of VPC and other apps that let you run Windows on a mac. Then I got my powerbook. I don't have a desire for VPC anymore, it's as simple as that.
__________________
my flickr
Phatpat is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:53 PM   #21
virividox
macrumors 68040
 
virividox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
to be honest when i was using vpc i was happy, but now that i dont use it im just as happy and found ways to do the things i was doing using freeware for the mac; cept autocad..but i dont use that, my friends do hehe
__________________
17" MBP , 2 gig ram, 200 gig fw800 + 120 gig fw400 + 250 gig usb2 ext, 5g 80gig Ipod, Tiger
d200 & d70
virividox is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 06:57 PM   #22
mchambe1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ithaca, NY
Terrific

Now I'm really at odds for making a decision. I am a Mac user who has had to maintain a Dell PC for two years because one of my clients is obsessed with the "if you get hit by a train I need to be able to take over" theory regarding his web site, which I "have" to maintain in FrontPage - please, don't laught too hard. Just recently I told him that I would be dropping the PC soon and that I was either going to use Dreamweaver for the site or get VPC and install FrontPage on my Mac. My main question is how will FrontPage work in VPC (anyone with experience?)? The other dilemnia is whether or not to wait for VPC 7? I use both a new Powerbook and an iMac with 1.25Ghz procs. Thanks for any advice!
mchambe1 is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 07:15 PM   #23
h'biki
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via ICQ to h'biki
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchambe1
The other dilemnia is whether or not to wait for VPC 7? I use both a new Powerbook and an iMac with 1.25Ghz procs. Thanks for any advice!
If you purchase Office Professional (the version which comes with VPC) now, then you are entitlted to a free upgrade to Office Pro 2004 -- which will include VPC 7.
__________________
---
Stay hungry; stay foolish.

http://blog.stuwillis.com
h'biki is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 07:22 PM   #24
micvog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchambe1
My main question is how will FrontPage work in VPC (anyone with experience?)? The other dilemnia is whether or not to wait for VPC 7? I use both a new Powerbook and an iMac with 1.25Ghz procs. Thanks for any advice!
I attended a FrontPage 2002 training session and borrowed a 300MHz PII laptop with 64MB RAM. It was definately useable. My understanding is that most modern Macs would emulate a PC with at LEAST those specs, so you should be fine.
micvog is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 07:36 PM   #25
Abstract
macrumors Penryn
 
Abstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Location Location
I can't believe some people have given this a negative rating. Its either a delay, or they release a buggy software. We know that MS would actually do that, so lets just wait for the better version. If they're actually making it better than ever before, then props to them.

I just think that there are people here who are waaaay to anti-Microsoft. Microsoft is a software company....it ain't personal. It didn't try to steal your babies or something. How can you talk crap about a product that hasn't even been released yet, especially when they're trying to make it better and admit that there are issues with it right now. I'd rather they admit it now than later after I spend money on the frickin thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacman
It better be fast.

And it better provide Real *hardware* video acceleration. No more crummy Software acceleration.

Microsoft you better do it right if your going to delay it!
Did the company that made it before (forgot the company's name) "do it right"? I don't believe so. MS could only make it better at this point. If they make it able to handle graphics better, I'd be happy.

Mmmmm, I smell burnt toast.......
__________________
"Hard? It's supposed to be hard. Hard is what makes it great!" - Tom Hanks.

Last edited by Abstract; May 12, 2004 at 07:41 PM.
Abstract is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Delayed? Demonface Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 May 18, 2013 03:00 PM
iMacs not delayed Scrapula iMac 2 Nov 19, 2012 09:10 AM
Delayed email szolr Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Oct 27, 2012 05:20 AM
Delayed notifications...delayed everything... jdaniel iOS 6 1 Oct 19, 2012 06:30 AM
Delayed shipping? OutsideTheCube iPhone 3 Sep 13, 2012 07:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC