Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I'm pretty much resigned to another year with Ye Olde G5, and I'd like to get it properly set up with Leopard. Most of the retailers I've checked are sold out, however, and I'm seeing some nasty pricetags on the few that are left.

So, anyone know where I could get a single-user 10.5 install at a reasonable price?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wow, I just looked at Amazon. Didn't take long for the vultures to reprice it. eBay? Marketplace?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Wow, I just looked at Amazon. Didn't take long for the vultures to reprice it. eBay? Marketplace?

Yeah, I was thinking amazon too, but that's just nuts. Does the snow leopard box set come with 10.5?

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I appreciate the offers, but I'm strictly after a retail purchase.

I'm amazed that the supply has run out so quickly. The only decent prices I can find are from places I've never heard of. Surely someplace reputable still has it in stock?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Yeah, I tried that already. Did you try clicking through any of those links? Thanks for the snotty reply, though.

I appreciate the offers, but I'm strictly after a retail purchase.

Well, retail is going to be hard for a product that has been discontinued. That's how Apple does it...eBay or one of us is your best option

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just a friendly reminder... in addition to the OP's request only for retail sources, please do NOT make offers to sell (or buy) any products from other forum members outside the Marketplace forum. Eligible members are always welcome to create new threads there; other members may read the rules posted under FAQ/rules for more information about marketplace eligibility.

Thanks.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Serves me right for dragging my feet I guess, but I didn't think they'd all be gone so quickly.

eBay... oy... the very name twists in my gut (I have not had good experiences with eBay)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Serves me right for dragging my feet I guess, but I didn't think they'd all be gone so quickly.

eBay... oy... the very name twists in my gut (I have not had good experiences with eBay)

I'm sure you'll find lot of copies listed here once 10.6.1 is released.

I'd sell mine but I still have a PPC Mac.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I've tried all the obvious places already.

They is out.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I will try my local Apple store, though I'm sure to pay full price if they have any. I'd hoped to find it discounted somewhere in the wake of Snow Leopard, as opposed to gone, but I guess that's not really how it works with Apple, is it?

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
I will try my local Apple store, though I'm sure to pay full price if they have any. I'd hoped to find it discounted somewhere in the wake of Snow Leopard, as opposed to gone, but I guess that's not really how it works with Apple, is it?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they discounted the software. They often sell old machines at a discount to make way for new stock. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Then again, if I were you I'd just stick with Tiger. I always thought it was a much more stable OS than Leopard, and actually downgraded from Leopard to Tiger on my iBook.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Apple likes to pretend that everything before the current model/software never existed.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Hmm, 10.4 was available from the online Apple Store for a long time after 10.5 was released. I'm surprised to see that 10.5 is not there, especially since 10.6 is supposedly only an upgrade.

They're sweeping PPC under rug. *Magic hand wave* Wait, what is a PPC? What am I talking about! :apple:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
buy.com has leopard for $129. newegg quit selling Apple products..??

i would call Apple stores near you, and maybe even some Best Buys', or even some Apple authorized resellers.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
They're sweeping PPC under rug. *Magic hand wave* Wait, what is a PPC? What am I talking about! :apple:

But PPC isn't the issue. What if you had an Intel system with a blank disk? I know installing Snow Leopard will probably work anyway, but theoretically at least you're supposed to install Leopard on it first. It's kind of hard if Apple isn't selling Leopard.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
But PPC isn't the issue. What if you had an Intel system with a blank disk? I know installing Snow Leopard will probably work anyway, but theoretically at least you're supposed to install Leopard on it first. It's kind of hard if Apple isn't selling Leopard.

Nah, you just have to legally have the right to Leopard. If they wanted to require you to be installing on top of Leopard, they would have required it in the installer. Besides, even if you DON’T have Leopard, you can still buy the Box Set and be completely within your legal rights to install it without Leopard. There is nothing about SL that requires Leopard other than the pricing.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
you can still get it from the Apple store although you might have to call to order it.....no discounts though

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
I'm pretty much resigned to another year with Ye Olde G5, and I'd like to get it properly set up with Leopard. Most of the retailers I've checked are sold out, however, and I'm seeing some nasty pricetags on the few that are left.

So, anyone know where I could get a single-user 10.5 install at a reasonable price?

Bimmi,

I assume you were looking for Leopard 10.5 for Single User. that's $200 on amazon.com.

but the 5 user family pack is around $150, and the box set with iLife and iWork '09 is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.