Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
This must be new with SL but it is annoying me to no end... I like my laptop to require password after sleep, but NOT after the screen dims... I do NOT use a screensaver so I don't understand what is going on... any tips? I put the screen to sleep after 15 minutes and each time that happens, I have to enter my password to get back in.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Under security there is a choice for how long after screen saver, etc, to wait before prompting for the password.

Just change it to 1 hour, 4 hours, etc, and it should not prompt you for the password unless you are away for a long time.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Under security there is a choice for how long after screen saver, etc, to wait before prompting for the password.

Just change it to 1 hour, 4 hours, etc, and it should not prompt you for the password unless you are away for a long time.
Perhaps I'm not being clear. I NEVER want it to require a password after the screen goes blank, only after sleep. This is how it used to work, now it does not.

Jonathan_W

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
Newcastle, UK
I'm after this option too since I used it in Leopard. I'm surprised to see that it's disappeared in Snow Leopard unless I've missed it somewhere? :(

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Just upgraded to SL and this is really annoying me too. I want the behavior from Leopard back. It was fine the way it was. :mad:

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
System Preference > Security > uncheck Require password

try that to see if it helps.

Jonathan_W

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
Newcastle, UK
Here's a Macrumors Post from last year that looks like it may do what you want...

Hope this helps!
The answer to the original post in that thread is available in Leopard's 'System Preferences' in the 'Security' section where you could enable your Mac to ask for your password after the screen sleeps. This not after the screen saver has been on which occurs before the screen sleeps.

In Snow Leopard, the preference has been changed to only after the screen saver has been on. As a result, this causes annoyance since your Mac would ask for your password more often since the screen saver always occurs before the screen sleeps. There's no preference in Snow Leopard to only ask your password after the screen sleeps :(

If the above post is confusing, please feel free to ask me to try and clarify it :p

System Preference > Security > uncheck Require password

try that to see if it helps.

Unfortunately, this preference makes your Mac easier to obtain information in your Keychain and therefore does not help those who are complaining in this thread :(

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
So there is no way to have Snow Leopard require password ONLY after sleep, but NOT after screensaver, like it was possible in Leopard???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.