Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Will a UK iPhone locked to O2 work in Germany on the German O2 network SIM card?

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
London
Alas I doubt it?? I have a locked Vodafone (work one) & I tried putting a French Sim card in it & it didn't work

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
No it won't, unless you have one that can be unlocked, and you go through the process of unlocking it.

You can unlock all iPhone 2G's, and 3G/3GS models that have not been updated to firmware 3.1

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Alas I doubt it?? I have a locked Vodafone (work one) & I tried putting a French Sim card in it & it didn't work

Vodafone doesn't have a network in France.

But if it's on the same operator - i.e. O2 - it may work?

An iPhone locked to O2 in the UK works in Ireland with an O2 Ireland SIM.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
You need to buy an unlocked iPhone for it to work.
eeerrrr no they don't the OP has an iPhone already why fork more money out for something they can do for free???

if you want to use your iphone with a german O2 sim best option (to ensure it will work) is to jailbreak and then unlock it with ultrasn0w, but you may find this a bit difficult to do if you have already updated to 3.1

pmcgurk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
O2 is not always the same as O2

Hi there. Your phone will NOT work with a German O2 SIM because each GSM operator has a network identifier unique to that operator and country. In this case, the phone is locked to O2 UK. See here

O2 UK = 234 (UK Mobile Country Code, not same as IDD code!) 02

O2 Germany = 262 (German MCC) 07.

So, company name is the same - but not anything else.

You'll have to get your phone unlocked - sorry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.