Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Patently Apple points to a new trademark application from Apple filed on November 30th regarding the "Think Different" advertising slogan used by the company from 1997 until 2002. While the application follows close on the heels of a renewal of an earlier trademark issued for the slogan and could conceivably simply be related to Apple looking to preserve its long-standing trademark, the report notes that Apple's new application specifically extends coverage of the trademark to music players such as the iPod and other electronic devices that could conceivably include a future tablet device.
In 1997 there wasn't an iPod and this may be one of the main reasons for Apple's new trademark application for Think Different. However, Apple's International Classification 009 now covers the iPod under MP3 audio players in addition to generically covering "Portable and handheld digital electronic devices" so as to cover any future tablet Apple may be contemplating in the future. Is Apple gearing up for something?
Beyond the new trademark application, 9 to 5 Mac notes that Apple has begun using the "Think Different" phrase on the packaging of its new 21.5" and 27" iMac models. While the change may again simply be a result of Apple moving to exhibit continued commercial usage of the trademark in support of its renewal applications for protection, 9 to 5 Mac also reports on unconfirmed chatter out of Apple's ad agency TBWAChiatDay regarding the slogan, although no specific word of a related ad campaign has surfaced.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Revive 'Think Different' Advertising Campaign?

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
"Think Different" remains one of my favourite marketing campaigns of all time, and is certainly Apple's best full-fledged campaign. "Switch" and "Get a Mac" are absolutely lame in comparison...

Launching a revolutionary new tablet and a new "Think Different" campaign? I'd love to see that...

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
I so want this to happen. I hadn't seen the Think Different stuff on my new iMac but there it is!

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Awesome. I hope the Tablet is game changing enough to necessitate bringing back the slogan, sort of how the original Think Different campaign was a teaser to the first iMac.

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Maybe to "Think Different" about Tablets? Maybe Apple will make a new kind of tablet, and imply that we should "Think Different" about them. :D

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
Nice

by far my favorite of apple's advertising campaign that brought out the essence of what makes the company unique-

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I like it, although I'm not convinced that "think different" is proper grammar ("differently"), just as I'm not convinced "funnest iPod yet" is proper. But who cares. ;)

ranguvar

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2009
Please don't revive it! Apple's not going to change the world like Einstein, Gandhi, etc. did. Such a campaign degrades the work of those people.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Please don't revive it! Apple's not going to change the world like Einstein, Gandhi, etc. did. Such a campaign degrades the work of those people.

Boy did you miss the point of the ad.

And yes, Apple has changed the world in very real and subtle ways that matter, with or without people knowing it, for millions of people.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Heh....

I'd love to see the "Think Different" campaign revived. I think there are PLENTY of great inventors, scientists and other people worthy of displaying in a new series of those ads. (Maybe they could try to do them all in color instead of black & white this time, to differentiate them from the original ads? They could go with more recent people, to make that workable? Although I would like to see Tesla recognized at least....)

But the rainbow Apple logo?? No thanks. That was fine in the 80's, when personal computers supporting color graphics was a *big deal*. (Radio Shack even had the "Tandy Color Computer" series back then.) But now? It just reminds me of those gay pride stickers.

yes, think different and think about putting back the rainbow Apple logo!! :D

strangefate

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
A funny thing is that if they were to revive this campaign and feature new people, Bill Gates should be one of them.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I loved the old ad campaign. I loved apple when they were the rebels and trouble makers.

Now in some respects they are hypocrites. What if I want to think different and use an iPhone without AT&T? How about wanting to watch a High Def movie on my Mac without needing to buy it through iTunes (Blu-Ray anyone), or use a non iPod with iTunes.

It's OK with Apple if you think different as long as that different is the same different than Apple is thinking.

Please allow me choice so I can think different the way I want to.

(And I agree with differently being more accurate but for some reason doesn't have that quirkiness that seems to fit the campaign).

gudin

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
grammar

I like it, although I'm not convinced that "think different" is proper grammar ("differently"), just as I'm not convinced "funnest iPod yet" is proper. But who cares. ;)

I've always disliked the comments I saw about this allegedly being grammar. It is NOT bad grammar if "different" describes WHAT you are thinking rather than the WAY you are thinking. English, just like other languages, is actually quite flexible.

My 2 cents.

Think Different.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Not really "Think Different" really applies anymore.

They use all the same components as every other computer (Intel chips) and the iPhone is phone everyone tries to copy so it's not really different.

So I don't know what is different...

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California

I don't know, I might have to agree...

Apple Computer, the company for the people. Innovative thinking to help us use computers, better.

vs.

Apple Corp., the company that is trying to gain global media dominance. Innovative thinking to create a media centric empire.

I think Apple using the likenesses of those great people nowadays for profit is kind of strange. The "Think Different" people Apple SHOULD connect with are more like Henry Ford, great visionary business leaders.

Still one of the best ad campaigns of our time!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I loved the old ad campaign. I loved apple when they were the rebels and trouble makers.

Now in some respects they are hypocrites. What if I want to think different and use an iPhone without AT&T? How about wanting to watch a High Def movie on my Mac without needing to buy it through iTunes (Blu-Ray anyone), or use a non iPod with iTunes.

It's OK with Apple if you think different as long as that different is the same different than Apple is thinking.

Please allow me choice so I can think different the way I want to.

(And I agree with differently being more accurate but for some reason doesn't have that quirkiness that seems to fit the campaign).

Not really "Think Different" really applies anymore.

They use all the same components as every other computer (Intel chips) and the iPhone is phone everyone tries to copy so it's not really different.

So I don't know what is different...

Microsoft Windows: 90%+ of computers in the world

Apple/Mac/iDevice: NOT WINDOWS

Thats the point of the campaign, no consumer seriously looks so far into advertising that they look at components, openness on networks, etc.

You need to remember we are tech geeks here, apples main audience doesn't look that far into/care about any of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.