Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
With many people buying the new iMacs, the lack of USB 3.0 may be a worry to some. However, do you think that a Firewire 800 to USB 3.0 cable will be produced? The transfer max speeds are identical, so it may be viable.

Do you think it's possible?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I don't think these things exist...for any firewire/usb iteration. Firewire is different to USB (controller, power supplied), so the converter would have to be a complex affair.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
But I thought they already exist. For Firewire 800 to USB 2.0

USB.jpg

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have a FireWire/SCSI converter. But nobody has made a general FireWire/USB converter. There is only an adapter for Windows that will capture DV video and output it reencoded to USB.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
There are already non-Apple products out there with USB 3.0

Yeah, I mean it'll be a while for USB 3.0 to be mainstream, and also come on apple products. I don't often use external storage and usb ports in general so I guess it won't make a huge impact on me I guess.

musaicsong

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Firewire 800 flash drives

With many people buying the new iMacs, the lack of USB 3.0 may be a worry to some. However, do you think that a Firewire 800 to USB 3.0 cable will be produced? The transfer max speeds are identical, so it may be viable.

Lets make daisy-chainable FireWire 800 flash drives and forget USB. I thought solid state was suppose to be faster anyway. Why is USB(3.0) so slow?

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003

Technically possible but no company would waste their time and effort for so little return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.