Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Hello guys, I am doing a presentation for a class thingy in technology about new media and i'm trying to express how when macintosh youtubers started uploading video blogs when they switched to intel/intel made iMacs and about this media blah blah blah. In the pic attached is that a iMac G5 or intel. I see spot light on the top right so it's either running tiger or leopard. I thought I saw a apple remote magnetic thingy on the side. Did the iMac g5 have one?

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Hello guys, I am doing a presentation for a class thingy in technology about new media and i'm trying to express how when macintosh youtubers started uploading video blogs when they switched to intel/intel made iMacs and about this media blah blah blah. In the pic attached is that a iMac G5 or intel. I see spot light on the top right so it's either running tiger or leopard. I thought I saw a apple remote magnetic thingy on the side. Did the iMac g5 have one?

And for youtubers out there that is Community Channels videos. That was the computer she used from the beginning in late 06 but never showed until recently

I'm sorry but that post made hardly any sense. However I do hope your "thingy" goes well...man oh man. This is the kind of stuff I had to deal with in my undergrad program. Try to put a bit more effort into things okay?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The last gen iMac G5 and original intel iMacs look identical from the front, so it is impossible to tell. Yes, the last gen iMac G5s also had the remote.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That's an Intel iMac. The G5 iMac's didn't have the iSight camera built-in (the small black square at the top of the screen). Work on your formulating your thoughts a bit...

EDIT: I was wrong about the Intel's having the iSight, therefore I don't know what that machine is.

The last G5 iMac, released October 12th 2005, had iSights in them, that's why it is not easy to discern if the iMac in the picture is Intel or IBM.

EDIT: Upsy daisy.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Since they're identical from the front, why does it matter if you just need a picture?

If you actually need to use it, look at the back; the G5s had its ports/connectors arranged vertically, while the Intel models have a horizontal arrangement.

Reactions: ITheRebelI

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
IIRC, the G5's also said "iMac G5" on back, while the intel's only said "iMac." I could be wrong though.

I do recall the Intel's having a slightly smaller chin then that though, so my guess would be G5.

wbe858

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
IIRC, the G5's also said "iMac G5" on back, while the intel's only said "iMac." I could be wrong though.

I do recall the Intel's having a slightly smaller chin then that though, so my guess would be G5.

Well on the first part it doesn't...had to look behind mine to make sure but it just says iMac. The only way i could ever tell without booting it up was the vertical/horizontal ports that someone else mentioned.

Anyway good luck with your "thingy" :)

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany

You might be thinking of the PowerMac G3. It had "G3" underneath the logic board which was visible from the outside.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I think thingy was misleading and yea old 09 youtube videos are 3d enabled lol. It was this new media thing presentation I'm doing for my technology class. I found another pic here

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I'll lie and say it was intel lol. I just realised that editing HD video on a g5 would be harsh so it must be intel. Ooo random thread! closed!

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I'd bet money that it's a G5... the intel one had a more rounded back than the G5 (the G5 Was a rectangular prism, where as the intel was rounded in the back). That and the "chin" on the g5 is larger.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I mean on this video if you can make anything out of low quality here @ "DOESN'T MAKE DIFF LINK GONE"] at 2:43 when the camera pans the more suggestions the better

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
it really is impossible to tell from what you have given us.

The white 20" Intel iMacs used the *exact* same case as the G5 iMacs except for the port orientation.

I'm genuinely surprised no one said this yet.
Click the :apple: in the top right corner and click 'about this mac'. If it says "Intel Core 2 Duo" or "Intel Core Duo" then it's an intel machine. If it says PowerPC G5, then it's a G5.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-02 at 7.13.36 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-02 at 7.13.36 AM.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: ITheRebelI

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm genuinely surprised no one said this yet.
Click the :apple: in the top right corner and click 'about this mac'. If it says "Intel Core 2 Duo" or "Intel Core Duo" then it's an intel machine. If it says PowerPC G5, then it's a G5.

I don't believe that they have access to the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.