Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I will do the best to explain what is happening here.

I have a Imac, with a share on it, sharing as user 'Central' with a password. There are many folders, everything works great.

I have a user that is running xp pro, connects to the Imac, has the share mapped to a drive, authenticating as user Central, with password. Access to everything works great.

When the XP user makes a folder, anywhere on the share, and then moves it into another folder on the same share. It is now 100% locked. On the Imac, the folder has the ownership of Everyone - no access. I give it appropriate access, and it works after that.

I have another XP machine, tested - same thing. Its like the umask on folders is buggered, but thats just a hunch.

Anyone have any ideas?

tk117

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
I reported this bug in server version 10.5. As far as I know it was never fixed. It is a pretty serious bug, requiring administrative action to correct a effect of a very common action. Possibly only a small number of systems are affected. The alternative to that is that Apple is not serious about SMB support. I've since abandoned the Apple server in favor of a small NAS.

If you are running 10.6 and this bug is still present I would not hold out much hope for a fix. If you are running 10.5, well, maybe 10.6 fixes it.

Tom

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I reported this bug in server version 10.5. As far as I know it was never fixed. It is a pretty serious bug, requiring administrative action to correct a effect of a very common action. Possibly only a small number of systems are affected. The alternative to that is that Apple is not serious about SMB support. I've since abandoned the Apple server in favor of a small NAS.

If you are running 10.6 and this bug is still present I would not hold out much hope for a fix. If you are running 10.5, well, maybe 10.6 fixes it.

Tom

Not the news I wanted to hear, but interesting nonetheless. Its currently a workstation, and I want to put in 10.6 server to do some other work for us, so we will just have to see.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.