Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPad SDK Support for Front Facing Camera, Camera Flash, Zoom and Video Conferencing

Unfortunately, we already know how this story ends. Apple introduced the iPad in late January and made no mention of a camera - either on the front or back of the device. So that means no video conferencing or even photos are possible on the first generation device.... and yet, it seems like they had everything in place for it already. For example, the enclosure has an empty space for the camera and the SDK has accept/decline video chat references.

Here are some even more tantalizing pieces of information found in the latest Beta 3 iPad SDK. We've been told that if you go digging into Apple's private framework which controls the camera, the iPad SDK tests for 3 additional camera characteristics that are not found in the iPhone 3.x SDK. For comparison, Erica Sadun has a code listing of iPhone 3.x PLCameraController.h on her site. The Beta 3 iPad SDK version adds these additional test conditions for the device's capabilities.

It seems Apple built in API support to test to see if your iPad had a Front Facing Camera, Zoom and a Camera Flash. The front facing camera would, of course, be used for video chat, while Zoom and Camera Flash are often requested features for the iPhone's camera.

Further investigation even reveals the following icons which clearly show an interface to accept or decline a video chat:

Given the size of these buttons, they were intended for use on the the iPad's screen rather than the iPhone. We're not sure why these features were dropped on the first version of the iPad, but we hope to see it again in future versions of the iPad or even iPhone.

Article Link: iPad SDK Support for Front Facing Camera, Camera Flash, Zoom and Video Conferencing
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Neotyguy40
macrumors regular

Until it has a camera built-in, then I don't think it is likely we have it this generation.
Neotyguy40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Rayday
macrumors member

iPad G2

Here's hoping that the iPad G2 will be here by Christmas!!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:55 PM   #4
HiVolt
macrumors regular

This is Apple, they always leave out features that make sense to the 2nd or even 3rd revision of a device.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:56 PM   #5
ThePShot
macrumors newbie

Honestly people? This IS Apple...

The only other time there has been a large gap between introduction and shipping has been the original iPhone. Apple withheld features and let them slowly trickle out closer to release to maintain/boost hype of the device.

- Glass Screen instead of Plastic
- Better battery life than first reported
- Native YouTube Application

What is keeping Apple from doing the same there here? Would you honestly be surprised if, with the announcement of the shipping date there are also new features?

- Dashboard
- Camera / Video Support
ThePShot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:56 PM   #6
thulsmans
macrumors newbie

This is nice to hear, but im going to have to wait for a killer function to purchase one of these things
thulsmans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:57 PM   #7
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Apple has been pathetic lately
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:58 PM   #8
fangiotophia
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to fangiotophia
More Bezel Information?

Along a similar note, tonight I found the following in the Beta 2 release:

Code:
        unsigned int avoidBezeling:1;
Perhaps they are still hiding a few cool features?
8Gb iPhone 3G
fangiotophia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:59 PM   #9
leomac08
macrumors 68020

I'm still buying it anyways....camera or not....the device is amazing....
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:00 PM   #10
pbellamy
macrumors member

Hmm I like the idea of the pad I really do but the closer we get to the launch date the less likely I am to buy one.

I hate the thought of buying this and knowing that in a later release the hardware will change so significantly.

The lack of a camera is irritating. The fact that everything is there to make it work but the necessary hardware makes me think that early adopters are going to get a machine that they will regret later.
pbellamy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:00 PM   #11
pdpardue
macrumors regular

awesome

Sweet! a camera!

oh wait...

seriously though, shouldn't this be something that's standard on equipment these days?

paul
http://www.paulparduephotography.com/index.php
pdpardue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:01 PM   #12
BigBeast
macrumors 6502

Here's hoping...

I HOPE that they release the device with a camera etc. but I'm still thinking Apple purposely left this out for gen.2. I don't agree with it... but Apple does this at times. ex. nano 4g vs nano 5g- Apple knew before the 4g came out that they were going to put a camera in it and it COULD have come out in the 4g. Apple waited to put it in the 5g.

I was so excited at first to get an iPad. But I've waned over the past few days. I want to see what the mb air revision looks like. If they put a faster proc. and slightly bigger ssd in it- I'll probably opt for the mb air.
BigBeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

Hearing things like this makes me want to sit back and wait for the second revision, regardless of how much I would like to purchase an iPad.
NeuralControl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:04 PM   #14
amac4me
macrumors 65816

This may make me forgo the first gen models in lieu of a second gen model that has the camera.
amac4me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:04 PM   #15
acfusion29
Banned

Send a message via AIM to acfusion29
What are you guys seriously going to do with a camera on this thing?

If it's a front-facing camera.. then I understand, use it for Skype or whatnot, but a camera with flash? Are you telling me you'll be walking around with this thing and taking pictures? Then coming onto MR and complaining about the camera quality?
acfusion29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:04 PM   #16
jaw04005
macrumors 601

It's the iPod touch from last September all over again. I seriously hope they're holding out, but I have my doubts.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:05 PM   #17
scrapple
macrumors regular

apple thinks they can fool idiot shoppers into buying something twice (yes, the original ipad purchasers will buy version 2).. and they are right... so many suckers out there
scrapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:05 PM   #18
Wilbah
macrumors member

Amazing, but true... I really don't use the camera on my iMac all that much in reality, so I'm not sure why I feel like it's such a bummer that the iPad will be without it.

Even so, like countless others, I'd be more excited about the iPad if it had a camera.... the other funny thing is, without a phone or texting built in, the iPad as it is currently set up is not something I could see myself having to have on me constantly...so I'm really not sure even that would make a difference to me.

I'm trying hard to even imagine good practical reasons why I would want/need an iPad, and I just can't do it. The iPhone on the other hand, I salivated over for the entire 6 months from it's intro until it went on sale... I hope Apple sells as many as they can build... I'm not sure I'll be a purchaser this go around, at least not the first gen version
Wilbah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:07 PM   #19
pbellamy
macrumors member

Thinking about this I would give one of these ipads to my parents if it provided ichat or skype. It would be so cool to have something with the simplicity of the iphone with what I believe to be a killer app: Video chatting! (I live in New York they are in the UK).

Sadly that's not happening so no sale :-(
pbellamy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:07 PM   #20
belltree
macrumors 6502

Anyone who buys a 1st gen iPad is a sucker IMO.
belltree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:08 PM   #21
amitdoc2b
macrumors 6502a

Waiting to buy till webcam included

I refuse to buy an iPad for myself or my family members until the built-in iSight webcam is included in it. For $500+ it should be in there, and I would have bought the best model for me and my relatives so we can communicate while we are in different parts of the country.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:09 PM   #22
godrifle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

We're not sure why these features were dropped on the first version of the iPad, but we hope to see it again in future versions of the iPad or even iPhone.
It's a Zen Profitability Thing: Design the third gen device, test for user experience, leak rumors of the design characteristics that eventually are dropped, sell the device to the same folks three times over.
godrifle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:10 PM   #23
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePShot View Post
The only other time there has been a large gap between introduction and shipping has been the original iPhone. Apple withheld features and let them slowly trickle out closer to release to maintain/boost hype of the device.

- Glass Screen instead of Plastic
- Better battery life than first reported
- Native YouTube Application

What is keeping Apple from doing the same there here? Would you honestly be surprised if, with the announcement of the shipping date there are also new features?

- Dashboard
- Camera / Video Support
It certainly is possible, as you point out.
gibbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:11 PM   #24
Jeff321
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
Anyone who buys iPad is a sucker IMO.
Fixed
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:11 PM   #25
douglasgb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePShot View Post
Would you honestly be surprised if, with the announcement of the shipping date there are also new features?
I'm with you. It is so obvious that this device should have a front facing camera for video iChatting. Apple knew that and so planned on including it as evidenced by the space in the case. Cost issue? I think the component cost it a few dollars. Assembly cost is probably unmeasurable small given the automated assembly lines. That leaves either integration (software/firmware/battery/?) or marketing. The have two months to work out tech issues, and if they can't, they launch as demo'ed.

Or it could be marketing: leave it out. create hubbub. know that space in frame will be discovered. know that SDK will be dissected. gauge reaction to price as demo'ed, find most people view it as acceptable. keep price but add camera at launch and reap benevolence points.
douglasgb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion