Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bernardoruas

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
one big question: will Apple allow tethering from iPhone to the iPad model without wi-fi?

i have an iPhone and if it's possible to tether 3G I could buy this model.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
one big question: will Apple allow tethering from iPhone to the iPad model without wi-fi?

They allow it for macbooks - but only with contract phones - and its an extra monthly charge.

I expect the same will apply.

Hope it ships with a front camera....

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Currently you can, Listen to music, have mail watch for new messages, Push notification service listening for new alerts, download a video / song in iTunes, and be surfing in Safari (or most any other application) at the same time. Meaning, all of those processes can be happening at the same time, thus the OS can multitask.

Remember that Mac v Pc advert they did when Apple made fun of the small print...

"Currently you can, Listen to music (1), have mail watch for new messages (2), Push notification service listening for new alerts (3)(4), download a video / song in iTunes (5), and be surfing in Safari (6) (or most any other application) (7) at the same time. Meaning, all of those processes can be happening at the same time, thus the OS can multitask(8)".

1. Only in Apple's iPod application, not Spotify, Last.fm or any 3rd party app.
2. Only in Apple's mail app. More powerful mail applications are not allowed.
3. Push notification users should be aware that notifications may arrive too late to do anything like initiate incoming VoIP calls and are a horrible bodge that requires developers to jump through hoops.
4. Push notification users should be aware that all their private data goes through Apple's servers.
5. Other background download services are not allowed.
6. Other browser are not allowed unless they use Apple's Webkit views, but then you still can't make it the default.
7. Apple promises to interrupt your foreground application with annoying notifications and does not promise to restore state when returning. Connections to 3rd party network services will be killed. Sorry (9)
8. By Multitask, Apple means that we can multitask our stuff but you can't - so ner, ner, ne, ner, ner.
9. No we're not.

Just saying. ;)

christall109

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Video conferencing is not a "killer app" for consumers and is not in widespread use now. So lack of it will not hurt iPad sales much. But it is technically trivial for Apple to add the feature so there must be other factors. It is a bandwidth hog. There are solvable but real human interface issues. My mom uses Skype to make video calls to someone she knows in Norway. Cheaper than a phone call and the Norwaygian ( :) ) is impressed with how technically advanced she is, for a backward American.

Rocketman

I am going to strongly disagree with you. It may not be a killer app for you, but for the average college student and upcoming generations it is.

I use video conference daily on iChat and Skype. It's the number one way to see my friends from high school. There isn't nothing like them tech-wise that comes this close to seeing them face to face. We communicate so much more than text could ever.

Chatroulette.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Video conferencing is not a "killer app" for consumers and is not in widespread use now.

This is because mobile video conferencing now still requires a laptop - which is "portable" but not exactly "handy"

So lack of it will not hurt iPad sales much.

Maybe not.

One thing that is true, is that when they finally DO get the camera - that will boost sales by at least 1. And i reckon there are a million more just like me. :D

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK

i have an iPhone and if it's possible to tether 3G I could buy this model.

Jobs has officially answered this question via his Apple email address. Someone asked him if they can get online with the iPad by tethering with the iPhone and he simply said, "no". So there you go.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
:D

There are many good reasons its not being launched with a camera.

1. gives them more time to concentrate efforts on finalising the rest of the experience
2. People will still buy it
3. chance for a second big launch
4. some people will buy twice
5. who wants the launch weekend marred by a bandwidth collapse?

In short - they don't NEED to launch it with one.

Millions are hoping that it HAS a camera at launch - but that is looking increasingly unlikely or the best kept secret in techworld.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.