Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carpets

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Warwickshire, UK.
Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but I could not find anything similar when searching.

Do members of the forum think that it would be possible to send and receive text messages on the 3G version of iPad?

This would be a very useful feature for my staff in my retail business.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Should be. There is a SMS app in the App Store. I assume it would work w/ the iPad. And there are also loads of web based SMS services.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...but will AT&T allow you to use your existing cell phone number (if you have one) for iPad texting and apply to that account? :confused: Probably not (logistics could be a problem) but it would be a good idea if it could be implemented.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
...but will AT&T allow you to use your existing cell phone number (if you have one) for iPad texting and apply to that account? :confused: Probably not (logistics could be a problem) but it would be a good idea if it could be implemented.

I don't know if they even give you a phone number with an iPad plan

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't know if they even give you a phone number with an iPad plan

No they don't but that's not what I said. In more detail what I meant was if the text messages could be directed to your iPad and charges could be charged/credited on your "other" cell phone account. As I said there are probably several technical/practical/logistical problems preventing this but it would be a great idea.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Maybe someone with more specific cell tech knowledge can chime in: what is the unique identifier on a SIM? i.e. the thing that gives it the ability to send and receive a text message? Is it the phone number? IMEI?

I guess what I'm wondering is, if you ported the iPhone's "Messages" app to the 3G iPad, and sent a text...

a) Would it work?
b) Where would it be 'From'?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Might there be a way to pop the sms app on there from the iPhone? If it is possible to mod a normal sim to be a micro sim, then I'll be a happy camper. I'll probably use the sms function quite heavily on the iPad if that's the case, as my current data sim includes sms as part of the tariff

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
No they don't but that's not what I said. In more detail what I meant was if the text messages could be directed to your iPad and charges could be charged/credited on your "other" cell phone account. As I said there are probably several technical/practical/logistical problems preventing this but it would be a great idea.

actually at&t does give a phone number to a data cards.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Would the 3g ipad have a sim tray? maybe?

It does - a microSIM tray. This is a known factoid.

Might there be a way to pop the sms app on there from the iPhone? If it is possible to mod a normal sim to be a micro sim, then I'll be a happy camper. I'll probably use the sms function quite heavily on the iPad if that's the case, as my current data sim includes sms as part of the tariff

Yes - you can physically cut a SIM into a microSIM.

Interesting and good to know, thanks!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

This still doesn't help because I want to text from my iPhone's number/existing threads and not have to send from an "unknown" number. Also AT&T hasn't announced any iPad phone number text data plan costs.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
This still doesn't help because I want to text from my iPhone's number/existing threads and not have to send from an "unknown" number. Also AT&T hasn't announced any iPad phone number text data plan costs.

it was only said to state a fact that i know. i would have to say no you will only be able to text from the iphone/ipad apps.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Well I can tell you that on an o2 data plan designed for a dongle they block incoming and outgoing calls but they do allow txts!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Cool and interesting. So then the question becomes:

-does Apple natively install, or allow us to d/l from the appstore, the Messages app?

-if not, have to do so via jailbreak I assume

And I wonder what happens if you placed a phone call to that number? O2 guys can you comment?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I actually wanted to reaplace my iPhone with an iPad.

The thing is, there is no way to receive text messages on the iPad on a number that will also receive calls and vice versa (unless Google Voice does that).

And all data cards are given a "phone number". My Sprint mobile broadband card has a number.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Thanks guys. Well, it'll be interesting to see what does/does not come between now and shipping...

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Thanks guys. Well, it'll be interesting to see what does/does not come between now and shipping...

Don't we already know?

The answer about text messages is no - you will not be able to send/receive text messages on the iPad.

Can you receive text message on an iPod Touch over WiFi? No. The type of 3G service the iPad receives is like mobile WiFi.

It's really not that hard people.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Cool and interesting. So then the question becomes:

-does Apple natively install, or allow us to d/l from the appstore, the Messages app?

-if not, have to do so via jailbreak I assume

And I wonder what happens if you placed a phone call to that number? O2 guys can you comment?

you can call the number it is dead. You can txt it and the txt is received on your computer through the 3g management tool.

That's interesting, but I'm sure you can use VOIP still though.

yes you can use voip on o2 without an issue.

Don't we already know?

The answer about text messages is no - you will not be able to send/receive text messages on the iPad.

Can you receive text message on an iPod Touch over WiFi? No. The type of 3G service the iPad receives is like mobile WiFi.

I think what were going to find is that it'll be network dependant. As with o2 the system is already in place on the existing data plan setup for dongles to allow txts but not calls. The question will be will AT&T allow it? Hopefully for you guys over the pond they do as it's a feature that would allow alot of people to dump there iPhone package.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I forgot to add if you take the simcard out of the dongle and place it in a mobile the same applies. Calls are blocked txts and data is allowed.

carpets

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Warwickshire, UK.
Some interesting debate. But it still looks like we don't know :confused:

It appears that if Apple put the software on the iPad it will work with 02 in the UK at least.

I guess we will have to wait and see about the US etc.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Don't we already know?

???

Yours is not an unreasonable conclusion to draw based on what we do know, particularly as it relates to the experience of 3G dongle/card users on O2 and the like. However, it is far from certain that this is where we'll end up. Apple could easily - should they and ATT decide together - make available the very same Messages app that's on the iPhone (at least for 3G models).

I've done some poking around and there is no *technical* reason why a SIM (or microSIM) cannot send and receive texts simply because it's in a card, or a dongle, or an iPad, and not in a phone. It's a business decision. Nothing more.

I have no idea how this turns out, and fwiw I'm perfectly fine confining my texts to my iPhone. But to say that we know (and be insulting in the process by condescendingly telling us that it's 'really not that hard people') is plain wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.