Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Don't we already know?

The answer about text messages is no - you will not be able to send/receive text messages on the iPad.

Can you receive text message on an iPod Touch over WiFi? No. The type of 3G service the iPad receives is like mobile WiFi.

It's really not that hard people.

That's not really true. The solution to SMS messages on iPad is Google Voice. If you have GV number - SMS messages can be forwarded to e-mail and can be pushed to iPad (or iPod Touch) via a number of methods.

carpets

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Warwickshire, UK.
That's not really true. The solution to SMS messages on iPad is Google Voice. If you have GV number - SMS messages can be forwarded to e-mail and can be pushed to iPad (or iPod Touch) via a number of methods.

Will this mean that you will be able to send a text from the iPad?

Anyone got an idea of when Google Voice will be available for UK numbers?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

How do you get a Google Voice number?
I went to their web site and it said it's by invitation only!
I signed up for an email notification on availability, but who knows when THAT will happen.
How do I get one? :confused:

johndango

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
Redmond, Wa
How do you get a Google Voice number?
I went to their web site and it said it's by invitation only!
I signed up for an email notification on availability, but who knows when THAT will happen.
How do I get one? :confused:

I've got an invite I could send you. PM me if you want it.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I say no, there is only a internet data plan so there will not be a stock SMS app feature. That's why we have the iPhone.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I say no, there is only a internet data plan so there will not be a stock SMS app feature. That's why we have the iPhone.

There won't be a third-party google voice app either :D

It's senseless to use google-voice-to-email as a workaround because phones can send a text message directly to email (instead of to a phone number which is routed to an email).

It's not a true solution either as text messaging and push email are functionally different. The iPad won't do text messaging. It'll do push email - you'll have to ask yourself if that will suit the needs of your business.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
It's senseless to use google-voice-to-email as a workaround because phones can send a text message directly to email (instead of to a phone number which is routed to an email).

It's not senseless, because not all phones can SMS to e-mail.. only smartphones can. Many people don't use smartphones.

It's not a true solution either as text messaging and push email are functionally different. The iPad won't do text messaging. It'll do push email - you'll have to ask yourself if that will suit the needs of your business.

You can use Prowl app on iPad to receive GV SMS's (many people use it on iPhone). When someone sends SMS to your GV number - you will get a pop-up notification via Prowl.. just as you would with "traditional" SMS app on iPhone. It is functionally equivalent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.