Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lester52

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Is it possible that my router firmware or bios could be infected? If I do a hard reset where I push the tiny button in would this wipe anything bad off that could be on there?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I had questions about router security and I was given a link to this page:

http://securitytube.net/Router-Hacking-Part-1-(The-Basics)-video.aspx

I went there and watched the video. But the website seems like a hacking website and I'm worried that I could have been hacked by going there.

Is your router password protected?
Is that password sufficiently long?

I have more than 20 characters for my router and wireless LAN passwords, which should be more than sufficient to protect myself. I also have Mac OS X on my computers, with a Firewall, so I am protected. But if one really wants to get inside, and has the resources and time, one could succeed in penetrating my security, but to what point?

Do you suspect to be infiltrated?

And you haven't answered my questions regarding what router and computer you use, as you mentioned the BIOS, which is not existing on Apple computers.

Lester52

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I'm sorry for not answering your questions before. The router is a 2wire and while I do have PCs I haven't had the one PC I used on the internet connected to the router for months.

I'm very scared of that website I linked you to. I don't know if it can be trusted or not.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I'm sorry for not answering your questions before. The router is a 2wire and while I do have PCs I haven't had the one PC I used on the internet connected to the router for months.

I'm very scared of that website I linked you to. I don't know if it can be trusted or not.

Do you suspect to be infiltrated or your security being compromised?

If you have taken all the steps to countermeasure the points the narrator in that first video told you about insecurities, then it is quite fair to say, you are safe.

No need to be overly anxious about it. Unless you suspect infiltration and have data that could compromise the company or country you work for, which could make you a target, but I assume, that is not the case.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The video is hosted from vimeo.com which is a trusted site -- perhaps not as popular as YouTube but of similar calibre. It's just a guy reading some PowerPoint slides.

Don't worry, there's nothing risky here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.