Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
It's 15%. Thats the friends and family though, I believe that they get a personal one thats more. I can't remember the exact number but 30-35% sounds correct to me but don't quote me on it. I think it's also a one time kinda thing.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
It's 15%. Thats the friends and family though, I believe that they get a personal one thats more. I can't remember the exact number but 30-35% sounds correct to me but don't quote me on it. I think it's also a one time kinda thing.

They get one 25% off personal purchase on a computer per year, or they can "sponsor" a purchase for someone else if they choose not to use it. There was a thread on here recently about it.

Kije24Feb

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
Upstate NY
Got a 27"... all smiles, no issues

Got a 27" iMac a few days after they became available in Albany (NY)... No hardware, screen or software issues since opening the box... Mine is a worker, handling spreadsheets, law briefs and such all hours of day and night... 24" iMac now relegated to standby duty... Expensive? Not compared to the first Lisa's I bought!

Enea

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
My 27" computer has had another problem. It has scratched all my DVDs and CDs. And I was told from Apple, that if the new replacement computer, that is being sent to me, makes the same thing again (it appeared that this defect is oft happening now) it will be sent to me an external driver.

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
:eek:After reading just some of this thread, I would not even consider the 27" for a while. While some are saying all is good, I will wait and see if they get just some of the problems fixed. I will be buying another iMac for the back credenza at my office and was considering the 27" just for the screen but not if I am going to have problems.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
:eek:After reading just some of this thread, I would not even consider the 27" for a while.

Maybe you should have read the whole thread.

Anyway, I doubt anyone (besides Steve Jobs maybe) is going to be too upset if you don't buy one.

While some are saying all is good, I will wait and see if they get just some of the problems fixed.

Those people (the vast and largely silent majority) have no problems to be fixed.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Maybe you should have read the whole thread.

Anyway, I doubt anyone (besides Steve Jobs maybe) is going to be too upset if you don't buy one.

Those people (the vast and largely silent majority) have no problems to be fixed.

Nobody at Apple will notice or really care about one deferred sale, but bad news has a way of affecting a much larger demographic. People who might never have even noticed a problem have put off or avoided buying iMacs because they heard there were issues.

As for the silent majority, how many of them have run colour tests to check for yellow displays? Probably none of them. So while you say most people have no problems I would say most people haven't reported a problem.

There's a huge difference in those two statements. It's possible that tens of thousands of iMacs have the yellow problem, but are owned by people who either haven't noticed or don't care. Unfortunately we'll never know the truth so those who are sensitive to small variations in colour must err on the side of caution.

Based on the feedback here at MacRumors in the https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/824940/ thread it would appear that the majority of current iMac displays have the yellow problem. I know that MacRumors is a select group and those who ran the test are an even narrower group, but those reporting a problem out number those reporting no problem by a 2:1 ratio. Even in a self selected sample those numbers are disturbing.

I'm definitely waiting to see what buyers of the as yet unannounced 2010 model iMac report before reaching for my wallet.

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009

It looks like Apple really fixed screen flickering, so all the discussion died down.
Unfortunately Apple only "addressed" screen yellowing, so customers are not all happy and the threads continue all way through, one, two, three, four replacements, silent majority, or not.

Tom B.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It looks like Apple really fixed screen flickering, so all the discussion died down.
Unfortunately Apple only "addressed" screen yellowing, so customers are not all happy and the threads continue all way through, one, two, three, four replacements, silent majority, or not.

Tom B.
they are the loud minority. the silent majority have no issues.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
More likely they either don't notice them, or they accept them.

+1

Tom B.

There, now we're even. :p

I've read this theory in here more than a few times. It's the old, "people aren't intuitive enough to recognize the problem" idea.

I've seen pictures of yellow-tinged iMacs that color blind people would have no trouble recognizing a major problem with.

At the end of the day, if something is not an issue to a satisfied customer, how can it be to anyone else? I take people at their word. I have a problem-free week 47 i7 iMac. It has no yellow tinge nor other major problems and I would notice and would not accept them.

Why should I disbelieve anyone else who says the same?

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010

There, now we're even. :p

I've read this theory in here more than a few times. It's the old, "people aren't intuitive enough to recognize the problem" idea.

I've seen pictures of yellow-tinged iMacs that color blind people would have no trouble recognizing a major problem with.

At the end of the day, if something is not an issue to a satisfied customer, how can it be to anyone else? I take people at their word. I have a problem-free week 47 i7 iMac. It has no yellow tinge nor other major problems and I would notice and would not accept them.

Why should I disbelieve anyone else who says the same?

Out of the huge number of people who've posted about receiving multiple replacements, I haven't heard of a single person who's said they eventually got a perfect screen.

The closest I've seen is "I can live with it" and more commonly "I give up and have returned it for a refund".

I'd love to see your "perfect" screen because every photo I've seen people claiming are perfect are far from perfect in my eyes, and far from the quality Apple state.

"The iMac display is designed to look great from almost any angle. A technology called in-plane switching (IPS) makes this possible. Whether you’re sitting in front of the display or standing off to the side, you’ll get a perfect picture with superb color consistency and no loss of detail."

A family who buys an iMac for browsing the web are not going to notice screen problems that a graphic designer who works with colour matching every day will pick up on. In the same way that a professional audio engineer will notice imperfections in music that a casual listener will never hear.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
A family who buys an iMac for browsing the web are not going to notice screen problems that a graphic designer who works with colour matching every day will pick up on. In the same way that a professional audio engineer will notice imperfections in music that a casual listener will never hear.

A graphic designer that particular about color uniformity wouldn't be looking at an iMac to begin with. They'd get a Mac Pro (or PC) and a separate high end display.

Oh, and while it is, of course, a variable thing, there is no such a thing as an LCD display with perfect color uniformity at any price. It does not exist.

I consider myself quite particular to color. I returned my mid-2007 24" iMac because it was suffering from the left to right gradient that was a problem on that iteration. I was not about to settle for it.

I assure you I would do the same if this machine had the slightest yellow tinge or other gradient.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I'd love to see your "perfect" screen because every photo I've seen people claiming are perfect are far from perfect in my eyes, and far from the quality Apple state.
i has a tiny bit of bleeding, but no yellowing from what i can tell. i can provide a picture if you like?

Oh, and while it is, of course, a variable thing, there is no such a thing as an LCD display with perfect color uniformity at any price. It does not exist.
however there does exist the perfect screen for each individual user. and i have found it for myself i believe. you seem to have the same thing.

I consider myself quite particular to color. I returned my mid-2007 24" iMac because it was suffering from the left to right gradient that was a problem on that iteration. I was not about to settle for it.

I assure you I would do the same if this machine had the slightest yellow tinge or other gradient.
i would have taken mine back too. but mines perfect for me, slight bleeding but only on solid colours! how often do you use solid colours!

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
I was going to buy the i7 iMac but after hearing about all the issue's (not just the screen) I will be waiting for the Rev 2, IF I decide I want an iMac.

I just don't need the hassle.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I was going to buy the i7 iMac but after hearing about all the issue's (not just the screen) I will be waiting for the Rev 2, IF I decide I want an iMac.

I just don't need the hassle.

That's cool. An iMac is not for everyone.

But you should know that every generation has its own problems so you may be waiting a loooong time. :p

As mentioned above my mid-2007 24" suffered from the widely reported left-to-right gradient and I was fortunate that I dodged a bullet with the freezing problems of the ATI HD2600 Pro many experienced on that machine. That affected a LOT of people and it was a good couple of months before Apple released the firmware that cured it.

Meanwhile at 5 months and counting I've had zero hassles with my i7 (knock on wood!).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
That's cool. An iMac is not for everyone.

But you should know that every generation has its own problems so you may be waiting a loooong time. :p

As mentioned above my mid-2007 24" suffered from the widely reported left-to-right gradient and I was fortunate that I dodged a bullet with the freezing problems of the ATI HD2600 Pro many experienced on that machine. That affected a LOT of people and it was a good couple of months before Apple released the firmware that cured it.

Meanwhile at 5 months and counting I've had zero hassles with my i7 (knock on wood!).

i also have the mid 2007 iMac 24". it doesnt appear to be plagued with gradient issues or anything..however, now that you mention it! i can see the gradient issues! never noticed it..

great.. now im depressed :p

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
however there does exist the perfect screen for each individual user. and i have found it for myself i believe. you seem to have the same thing.

Exactly right. I'm not saying my screen is perfect in terms of corner to corner absolute color uniformity. That would be foolish since such a thing doesn't exist.

I believe that anyone here willing to make or forgo a purchase based only on what someone writes in here (either positive or negative) and without the benefit of their own eyes is making a mistake.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Exactly right. I'm not saying my screen is perfect in terms of corner to corner absolute color uniformity. That would be foolish since such a thing doesn't exist.

I believe that anyone here willing to make or forgo a purchase based only on what someone writes in here (either positive or negative) and without the benefit of their own eyes is making a mistake.

100% agree there and thats why i think the users saying "oh i better not buy because it will look bad" are foolish. how do they know unless they actually try it for themselves!?

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009

I have to admit I am confused, is your screen really perfect, or you simply accept your non-perfection? Because the silent majority you are not for sure...

Tom B.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.