Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i hope that title isn't too long.

anyway, i'm finally getting out of this place and going back to my apartment tomorrow. so right now i have basically no folding output, but will get everything back up when i get back.

i found out from a friend that my power did go out a day after leaving to come here. i had everything setup and running perfect when i left, and bam! the power flickers and everything went down. i almost wanted to drive 14 hours back!

but instead i got another i7 system, which gives me 3 total. i should have them up and running hopefully by saturday.

i should be good for at least 70-75 PPD. i've been having problems with one of my i7 rigs, so only 2 of them will be doing the bigadv units until i have time to work on it.

but it still should be my best output yet.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well things aren't looking too good. i got here, but the air is broke! it's like 84 degrees in here, at almost midnight! :eek: and i don't have all my systems up either.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Looks like your production has started again, great. Also Designed is back after a little hiatus, and Lizardking has crunched a bigadv again after a long pause too, and Whiterabbit production is as high as ever. We could be raking in some serious numbers this week :eek:

If Apple release 12 cores, I might splurge if the team is cranking too!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah I have my gpu's are up right now, and I have one bigadv rig going, but i lost a unit last night -about 18% was done. Hopefully this one works.

I got the air fixed, so it's not 85 degrees anymore. I might get to setup my new system here soon.

Yeah hopefully we have a good week as a team this week. We'll see.

Now I'd love to see you get a 12 core system!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well it looks like i won't get any bonus for this bigadv unit i'm working on. my computer keeps losing it's connection (in windows, it disables my LAN connection, and i can't re-enable it). so i then have to restart the computer.

so i guess it's from the heat. i might have to run -smp 7 on the next one

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well it looks like i won't get any bonus for this bigadv unit i'm working on. my computer keeps losing it's connection (in windows, it disables my LAN connection, and i can't re-enable it). so i then have to restart the computer.

so i guess it's from the heat. i might have to run -smp 7 on the next one

That's too bad, yeah heat is bad.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Yeah. I guess it's heat. I have two gtx 260's going and an i7 over clocked to 3.5 ghz. But it was working great 2 months ago

2 months ago it was zero degrees f outside in Iowa... cooling wasn't so much of a problem then :p

The 2 systems I moved to the basement seem to be ok and the basement is staying within a tolerable temp range. All of that concrete is keeping the air cool enough for now. I think my folding power bill is higher than I thought it was; like maybe $150-$200 a month. Despite the extra cold winter my heating bill may have been quite low with all of the extra heat from the folding systems. I should have a better idea in a couple of months :eek:

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
2 months ago it was zero degrees f outside in Iowa... cooling wasn't so much of a problem then :p

The 2 systems I moved to the basement seem to be ok and the basement is staying within a tolerable temp range. All of that concrete is keeping the air cool enough for now. I think my folding power bill is higher than I thought it was; like maybe $150-$200 a month. Despite the extra cold winter my heating bill may have been quite low with all of the extra heat from the folding systems. I should have a better idea in a couple of months :eek:

Kind of makes me appreciate the reasons why a data center would go with more cores per system and multiple virtual servers per system to reduce the electric bill.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Looks like we are getting close to our likely max output of 270-280k ppd... Nice. Let's see if Apple wants to release new Mac pros soon now.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Looks like we are getting close to our likely max output of 270-280k ppd... Nice. Let's see if Apple wants to release new Mac pros soon now.

hopefully my output will go up next week.

yeah, it looks like mac pros aren't coming til wwdc or close to it, but hopefully sooner

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

I'm doin' all the ppd I can without spending more money on hardware right now:D I would like to replace 5 machines with a new Mac Pro when they come out (4 really slow and my current Mac Pro). It's h**l waiting for Apple sometimes :eek: Hurry up Apple!! :apple:

What I want: Mac Pro with 12-16 cores, 24-32 threads, 2-3Ghz, 24 gigs of fast ddr3 ram, same case design outside plus usb 3.0, inside room for 3-4 2.5 inch ssd's in raid 0, 4 3.5 inch sata 2.0 or 3.0 (interchangable) and support for 3 GTX 295/480 cards.

Price $4-5k I'm not asking too much am I?

What I really want: Mac Pro with 64 cores, 256 threads, 3-4Ghz, 32 gigs of fast memristor memory ON CHIP, 64 gigs of ddr3 ram, and a few other things in an anodized aluminum case :p

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm doin' all the ppd I can without spending more money on hardware right now:D I would like to replace 5 machines with a new Mac Pro when they come out (4 really slow and my current Mac Pro). It's h**l waiting for Apple sometimes :eek: Hurry up Apple!! :apple:

What I want: Mac Pro with 12-16 cores, 24-32 threads, 2-3Ghz, 24 gigs of fast ddr3 ram, same case design outside plus usb 3.0, inside room for 3-4 2.5 inch ssd's in raid 0, 4 3.5 inch sata 2.0 or 3.0 (interchangable) and support for 3 GTX 295/480 cards.

Price $4-5k I'm not asking too much am I?

What I really want: Mac Pro with 64 cores, 256 threads, 3-4Ghz, 32 gigs of fast memristor memory ON CHIP, 64 gigs of ddr3 ram, and a few other things in an anodized aluminum case :p

dang. yeah, not asking for much huh :cool:

but don't be surprised if you don't get half of that, and it costs $6k.

this is one of the main things that bothers me about apple. i just don't understand why they wait so long to update the mac pros like this. at least announce something

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
dang. yeah, not asking for much huh :cool:

but don't be surprised if you don't get half of that, and it costs $6k.

this is one of the main things that bothers me about apple. i just don't understand why they wait so long to update the mac pros like this. at least announce something

I know... but I can always hope :p

It used to be worse when we had to wait for Motorola/IBM to produce enough chips, there were almost always delays in production because of yield issues or something else.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I know... but I can always hope :p

It used to be worse when we had to wait for Motorola/IBM to produce enough chips, there were almost always delays in production because of yield issues or something else.

yeah that's true, but now what's the excuse? the processors are out now!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I know!! Last year they had the Mac Pro out before the cpu's were even announced by Intel!

yeah i know! i don't know what's going on these days. apple is only concerned with iphone and ipad, but developers gotta have systems to build the apps with!

and not just that, apple has a market for mac pros. but it will only continue to get smaller if they ignore it

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
yeah i know! i don't know what's going on these days. apple is only concerned with iphone and ipad, but developers gotta have systems to build the apps with!

and not just that, apple has a market for mac pros. but it will only continue to get smaller if they ignore it

Mate if you think thats bad, I'n holding out for a Mac mini and there has been no rumors for it! Would love to see a intel i5 :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i'm about to leave my apartment tonight again for the next 2 months. this time i'll only be 2 hours away, so i can come back on the weekends if something messes up again. we'll see.

oh, and i had to restart my VM before i left to take out the -oneunit flag, and guess what, i lost that unit! it was 96% complete!

i'm so mad right now :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.