Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
It makes complete sense for apple to look to AMD, in every other part Apple has complete control over there supplier, Apple dictate the development and terms, then you have Intel, Apple have no control at all, they have to wait to see what Intel will give them, Steve will not like that one little bit. its not good for a company such as Apple to rely on another to dictate its performance or product lineup and timescale.

a tie up or but out of AMD can only be good, remember the CPU is history, future is all about GPU computing, Apple know this, its unlikely they would buy AMD out of the blue as it would upset Intel to much as AMD have nothing to currently offer , Apple will need time to work on products up to the class they require, its more likely we will see and agreement in the coming months for AMD in Mac and then once all is ready Apple will buy AMD and have complete control and droop intel.

Well I'm not a Apple stock holder yet, but if I was they will have my vote! To HELL with Intel! :mad:

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
AMD's chip offerings are currently considered subpar when compared to those from Intel
Not sure where that came from. Maybe on the consumer side I guess. AMD makes really good server chips. We use their 6-cores in our servers and they run great.

Very true. We run a great many Opteron servers (SUN Oracle servers running Solaris). Excellent performance. Different thing entirely on the desktop of course.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I will never buy anything with an AMD CPU, period.

Apple has already shown they are giving up on the profession market, therefor I have already been planning on the need to switch over to a windows machine in the studio.

They had the performance and performance/power lead with Opteron and Athlon 64 (K8). K9 never happened. Ever wonder about that? Now they lag in both performance and performance/power. They lost so much money they had to spin off their fabs into a new company

(quoting for context rather than a particular reply, lots of people are making this point)

I don't think there is any doubt that AMD lag in several areas but having the best performance simply doesn't matter to Apple as much.

Their laptops continued to sell well despite trailing every other vendor by 9 months. They still haven't updated the MacBook Air.

Their premium home machine, the nearly-£2000 27" iMac, has a £30, 4 year old GPU (I do resent this ... but I still bought one :confused:) All their Mac Pros are configured with budget graphic cards.

Apple don't need cutting edge performance and if a flagging AMD can offer them cheap parts at a good price, Apple will market them exceptionally well, and sell them in large numbers at high margin.

The sky will not fall on our heads.

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
If Apple moves to AMD, i'll move to hackintosh.

Well, that's one good point against it. Apple has no interest in making their system more attractive to hackers who have no intention of buying Apple products.

I wonder what would happen if Apple put AMD chips or AMD licensed variants in the iPod/Phone or the iPad?

Why would anything happen? If Apple finds a better CPU for the iPhone (or any other product), they can switch. That's one of the advantages of Apple not emphasizing the processor all the time.

I have an AMD QUAD-CORE system custom built and i would never give up my AMD for intel

I really have trouble with this attitude. I can understand loyalty to BMW over Honda because there are very real differences. I can understand loyalty to Apple over Dell, because, again, there are real differences. I can understand loyalty to Xbox over Wii. What I don't get is why someone would be so loyal to a single CPU vendor.

If the statement were "my experience has been that I typically get more value from AMD", that would be one thing - because it implies that if the value proposition changed, that you'd buy the other one. But to simply say that you would always prefer AMD without regard to anything else seems silly.

Apple needs to team up with HP

HP Labs Shows New Memristor Tech

April 9, 2010 10:23 AM

The only problem with that is that it's experimental - just like the other 10 'earth-shaking, revolutionary breakthroughs' we see every month. If the technology is as good as they claim, the entire industry will get it. It is unlikely that HP would tie themselves to a single player - even their own computers.

i'd definitely rather have a slightly slower amd processor with better graphics. processors these days are WAY more than the average user needs anyways, so for the mac mini/macbook/imac range of products, AMD could be awesome.

Funny, when Apple did that on their 13" MBP, lots of people attacked them for exactly that position (that a slightly slower processor with much faster graphics was a fair tradeoff).

Apple could be looking into using AMD Fusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

I don't think Intel has an exact competitor to it.

Intel doesn't, but Apple does. OpenCL does essentially the same thing - but works for all different CPU and GPU types. In fact, one report was that AMD was talking about dropping their own solution in favor of OpenCL.

Could Apple ever buy AMD?

Sure they could. Whether it makes sense is a different story (especially since the Intel license can't be transferred).

Several years ago, I built a PC for myself around an AMD Athlon 64-- the 3500+ Clawhammer, specifically. I was very impressed by its performance in comparison to my Pentium 4 laptop; it was the only PC I owned that ran iTunes for Windows satisfactorily. It still runs very well to this day, in fact.

*checks calendar*. I thought so. It's 2010, not 2004.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'm not buying an Intel Mac until this all pans out then. My PPC children do everything I could ask. AMD doesn't sound too appealing, but if they make another switch and drop Intel, I'll be one pissed off consumer.

At the moment though, I'm a happy consumer. :) Long live the G4s!

trrosen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
lots of possibilities

heck they could buy AMD with cash on hand.

More likely however may be that Apple has interest in AMDs many Fab facilities. They would be good places for manufacturing A4 chips and whatever new things Apple has planned with all the IC/Processor engineers they've acquired lately. We don't in fact know who is manufacturing the A4 chip now. Its assumed to be Samsung as there names were on the prototypes but the demand for Apple products has outstripped suppliers abilities before.

Then again Apple could Buy out AMD use their fabs for the A4 and use the Athlon as a basis for a new desktop chip by adding all of the power saving tweaks used in the A4. ... Hmmm... six core 30W Athlon anyone!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
heck they could buy AMD with cash on hand.

More likely however may be that Apple has interest in AMDs many Fab facilities. They would be good places for manufacturing A4 chips and whatever new things Apple has planned with all the IC/Processor engineers they've acquired lately. We don't in fact know who is manufacturing the A4 chip now. Its assumed to be Samsung as there names were on the prototypes but the demand for Apple products has outstripped suppliers abilities before.

Then again Apple could Buy out AMD use their fabs for the A4 and use the Athlon as a basis for a new desktop chip by adding all of the power saving tweaks used in the A4. ... Hmmm... six core 30W Athlon anyone!

For the third time: AMD has ZERO fab facilities. They spun that off into Global Foundries. If Apple wants Global Foundries to make A4 chips, all they have to do is pay, just like everyone else (including AMD).

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Watch this move...

Apple always said they could not make a netbook under $500 that was not junk. Some people have claimed that the current $200-$300 netbooks were junk and the prices have edged up to the $300-$400 range for a somewhat 1/2 way decent spec'd one....

If it is true that AMD processors are cheaper and more advanced with Open CL (and this rumor turns out to be true about Apple adopting AMD chips).....

watch this possible lineup:

Apple keep Intel for top of the line models (mac pros, macbook pros, imac, xserve)

Apple keeps ipad for those who love the form factor of having a larger ipod touch with 3g and the brilliant apps (from the app store) in a portfolio sized computer. To me this thing is incredible.

Apple uses AMD for the mac-mini (except the server version) and lowers the price for consumers (hey, maybe you will get that mid-tower now).

Apple uses AMD and releases a netbook that blows everyone way and is affordable ($400-$500 range). Although I think the ipad is the ultimate netbook - minus a real keyboard.

Apple uses AMD in the macbook and drops the price to compete with the $600-$800 laptop lineups that now run Win 7 Home Premium.

If Apple were smart and to go that route, then I think markshare would sore beyond belief. Everyone could afford an Apple then.

Also if Microsoft were smart - they would bring ALL their office products to the mac (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, OneNote, Visio, Project, hmm - not sure whatelse is left that is branded as an "office" type product). their sales would triple. A lot of companies have gone Apple Only due to reliability and ease of use. Plus, many companies see a mixed solution, highend Windows Servers, but Mac desktops, laptops, iphones, and I just wonder how many will adopt the ipad.

macjiro

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
I haven't been keeping up with AMD for a while but aren't one of their latest dual-6 cores pretty powerful and efficient processors? I think there is an HP model that uses them.

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
This would be suicide for the Mac platform. Part of the recent resurgence of the Mac is that you can run Windows and Linux applications natively. Personally speaking, if Apple went back to PPC, I would have to go to Windows and Linux for work, if not also for personal use. And some software vendors would stop supporting Mac as well.

Agreed, crazy talk to leave the x86 architecture. I'd jump ship as well, back to Ubuntu.

Still think this could be more graphics chip related and its just getting blown out of proportion, that and a finger in Intel's eye for messing with Apple's supply levels/timings.

Oh, shout out to Bellevue, there now too... off to the Square to see the MBPs.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Personally, if there are any negotiations going on (not as leverage), then I would assume it would be for GPUs, not CPUs.

While AMD may be cheaper, apple isn't stupid. True, we don't get the latest and greatest chips from Intel, but we still pay for it, and they realize that. Intel's premium is unavoidable though, as unless AMD's pipeline can catch up, their solutions cannot compare to current intel offerings, and moreso the media frenzy that can often accompany them. Switching to AMD I think would ultimately be more detrimental solely due to PR.

Rather, I would bet money to say that these negotiations are about a greater role of ATI in GPUs, probably even with switching solutions developed in house by Apple. ATI GPU's blow nividia out of the water, and Apple sees the handwriting on the wall in terms of Intel's GPU ambitions.

The bottom line is that Apple still wants Intel's CPU's, and has a vested interest in them (Lightpeak), however they do NOT want Intel's GPU's or graphics card shenanigans.

Just my take on things.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Moving to AMD = Big Mistake Currently

Unless Apple can spray some magical iPad Fairy dust on this adoption, I see it being a mistake.

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
I really hope this isn't true. Switching from Intel to AMD is a bad idea. AMD's processor technology is always behind Intel. Remember the years it took for OSX to switch from PPC to Intel? Do we really want to see that happen again in less than a decade? I don't see this being a quick transition. It'd be much better for Apple to just start making the chips themselves. They could probably just buy out AMD ha. I'd be cool with that.

PPC is completely different architecture, AMD and Intel are both x86

snar3281

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Probably because Snow Leopard was claimed to lay the groundwork for the future versions of OSX. Of course they could throw that all out the window, but if they were going right to OS11, why would they even bother? Unless it's just a new OS in name only.

Who says OS 11 will be a radical departure like OS 9 to OS X? It can very well be like going from OS 8 to OS 9.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
Does anyone think we will hear more about this at WWDC.. the more I think about it.. I'm starting to think Apple might release the new MAC PRO with AMD cpu and gpu..

edit: actually.. I'm starting to think Apple might just buyout AMD

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Does anyone think we will hear more about this at WWDC.. the more I think about it.. I'm starting to think Apple might release the new MAC PRO with AMD cpu and gpu..

edit: actually.. I'm starting to think Apple might just buyout AMD

Why are you waiting for AMD???

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
If this happens, AMD chips are great value for money, but what are the chances this "value" is just used to line Apple's pockets? :eek:

It'd be great if it happens, mainly because of the AMD/ ATI combo, but I'll need to see the real thing to be convinced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.