Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
After some research, i have decided the below is the best performance/value macbook pro 15" configuration.

1) base model i5 2.4 mbp 15"
2) intel 160gb x-25m ssd
total: $2200 shipped

reason:
1) base model i5 2.4 to i7 2.66 performance is negligible in actual use (yes i am aware the benchmarks have it at ~10-15% gain but actual usage shows little difference).

2) 256mb vs 512mb graphic memory, 512mb is better however given the crappy performance of those graphic cards to begin with, i dont expect to play any graphic intensive games on the mbp anyway, for the average lower demand games that WILL play on mbp, having 256 vs 512mb will not make a difference.

3) screen: the default lower resolution screen will be less taxing on the games especially given the crappy graphics in mbp and bigger text for coding/browsing (my personal preference). I have viewed both and prefer the lower resolution. I would say this is a personal preference, most people will probably want the high res.

4) hard drive: there is no doubt ssd is mandatory, and offers the MOST SIGNIFICANT performance boost, as such i rather save money on the less critical items previously mentioned and spend the money here on the best ssd. Intel still offers a solid performance lead over other ssd as a proven leader and reliability. It is much better than the apple stock ssd option.

5) my configuration can be bought from resellers at a discount and no tax vs apple store's bto version - means more savings.

A)
- base model i5 2.4 mbp
- intel 160gb x-25m ssd
- 256mb graphic memory

vs

B)
-bto model i7 2.66 mbp high res
-128gb apple ssd
-512mb graphic memory
total: $2670 shipped

vs

C)
- base model i7 2.66 mbp
- 500gb 5400rpm hdd
- 512mb graphic memory

vs

D)
- bto model i7 2.66 mbp high res
- intel 160gb x-25m ssd
- 512 mb graphic memory
total: $2870 shipped

I originally had config D) as it is the top of the line mbp 15" you can buy, but decided to change it to A) for the reasons stated not to mention saving myself $600 and able to get it in a few days vs 2 weeks delay. It's really a no brainer if you think about it.

dcurtis

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
I definitely would go for the hi-res option. I think it's 100.00 well spent.

Also, people here go ape-**** about the Intel x25 and I get that it's awesome, but I do believe that Apple wouldn't put in a crappy SSD. Although, I know someone will say that they have before. I guess I knew I wanted at least the mid-level or the high-level machine and I didn't want to throw away the money that those models put into the baseline 500GB drive. So an upgrade for 200.00 to the 128 SSD was better than buying a $440 Intel SSD.

^^^ This is my "flame war starter" paragraph... Hope you enjoyed it!

But, I see that if you go with the low-end base model, you are only paying for the 320 so it's not as big of an investment into the Intel SSD.

Very nice. Definitely something to think about.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
I definitely would go for the hi-res option. I think it's 100.00 well spent.

Also, people here go ape-**** about the Intel x25 and I get that it's awesome, but I do believe that Apple wouldn't put in a crappy SSD. Although, I know someone will say that they have before. I guess I knew I wanted at least the mid-level or the high-level machine and I didn't want to throw away the money that those models put into the baseline 500GB drive. So an upgrade for 200.00 to the 128 SSD was better than buying a $440 Intel SSD.

^^^ This is my "flame war starter" paragraph... Hope you enjoyed it!

But, I see that if you go with the low-end base model, you are only paying for the 320 so it's not as big of an investment into the Intel SSD.

Very nice. Definitely something to think about.

The other thing to consider is if you go with the apple ssd, you will be locked to bto order from apple.com which means no discount AND paying tax AND long delay shipping. That's another reason i chose intel over stock ssd, the other been better performance.

dcurtis

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
The other thing to consider is if you go with the apple ssd, you will be locked to bto order from apple.com which means no discount AND paying tax AND long delay shipping. That's another reason i chose intel over stock ssd, the other been better performance.

I think you missed where I said I wanted the Hi-Res screen anyways. I have looked on Amazon and I don't see where you can get any of the stock builds with a Hi-Res screen. Meaning, I had to BTO anyways, so in my situation it was worth it.

I admit to future proofing myself a bit though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.