Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Report: No software will be able to run on Mac OS X 10.7 without being approved and signed by Apple
Friday, April 23, 2010

"Apple began charting the future of their flagship computer Mac OS X today as the developers of tomorrow finally learned how they'll be able to participate in it," Rixstep reports.

"Apple will begin signing up independent software vendors (ISVs) for the 10.7 developer programme by early autumn 2010," Rixstep reports. "Membership will cost $99 just as the iPhone programme and will include a number of benefits including free downloads of the Xcode developer tools and access to online API documentation."

Rixstep reports, "Developers planning on marketing software for 10.7 will submit their products to the App Store as iPhone and now iPad developers have already done. 10.7 will have kernel support for ('insistence on') binaries signed with Apple's root certificate. No software will be able to run on Mac OS X 10.7 without being approved and signed by Apple, Inc."

"Slapping a root certificate on a binary running Snow Leopard or earlier doesn't change anything: the certificate represents an additional executable section that can easily be removed. Individual apps can of course check for the presence of a certificate, but it's not before the OS kernel itself insists on this certificate that program execution is totally in Apple's control," Rixstep reports. "It's expected there'll be efforts to 'jailbreak' 10.7 just as there have been with the iPhone and iPad systems."

http://rixstep.com/1/20100424,00.shtml

9 to 5 Mac is reporting that a developer they've contacted says that the facts are distorted in the Rixstep article:

Code signing for Mac Applications is already in place, and has been for a couple of versions of Mac OS X. There is a command line tool included in OS X (sorry, don't recall the name) that can show the user which apps are signed, and by what certificates Contrary to the article, code signing of applications is already used by OS X.

You'll notice that when you update some third party applications from, for example, v1.0 to v1.1, if that app stores data in you keychain, the first time you run the new version of the app you will get the popup window saying "Application X would like to use data stored in you keychain." This is because the application is not signed, therefore the System can't verify it is the same app from the same developer after it has been updated and the executable has changed on your disk.

You may not have noticed that when you update Safari or Mail or some third party apps, you do not get the dialogue, as these apps are signed, and the signing is still valid after the update, so the System can be sure the app has not been tampered with by a 3rd party, and it is OK to continue to allow it access to the keychain.

http://9to5mac.com/mac_like_iphone

UPDATE

http://www.redmondpie.com/os-x-10.7-wont-feature-app-store-9140689/

Steve Jobs: Mac OS X 10.7 will not feature an iPhone-like App Store requiring app approvals
Monday, April 26, 2010

"The greatest strength of Apple and its iPhone has always been the availability of nearly 200,000 apps in the iTunes App Store," Skipper Eye reports for Redmond Pie. "No other phone manufacturer has so far been able to match the success that iPhone’s App Store has got. This amazing success of the App Store has led to people wondering if Apple would bring such a business model to its OS X platform as well."

"There were rumors flying around that one of the highlights of the upcoming OS X 10.7 would be an iTunes like App Store for Mac, which would need Apple’s approval, and would be one conveniently place to find and buy softwares while Apple will take care of all the security," Eye reports. "A Mac developer Fernando Valente wrote to CEO Steve Jobs for clarification in this regard."

Eye reports, "As usual, Jobs reply was short; saying 'Nope' to all such rumors."

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Rixstep reports… No software will be able to run on Mac OS X 10.7 without being approved and signed by Apple, Inc…

9 to 5 Mac is reporting that a developer they've contacted says that the facts are distorted in the Rixstep article

Let's hope the 9 to 5 Mac report is the accurate one. :eek:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
If Apple does this, I'm switching back to Windows or Linux. This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

You won't have to.....if Apple ever really thought about doing this....they'd never sell another Mac again.

C'mon.....Apple's not going to restrict what software can run on OS X.

-Kevin

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I hope this really isn't going that far. We already have enough levels of quarantine. I don't want to see the amateur programmer or dabbler to get shot down before they can test an application sufficiently.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
IF it were true..

I can't tell if this is driven by greed, or egomania.

I don't think it's true, but if it were, it would result in an unprecedented level of differentiation for Apple, among other things. It would further separate Apple from the rest of the PC world. IF Apple can make it work, they might be onto something absolutely huge.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't think it's true, but if it were, it would result in an unprecedented level of differentiation for Apple, among other things. It would further separate Apple from the rest of the PC world. IF Apple can make it work, they might be onto something absolutely huge.
What is this huge thing?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is bad on a lot of levels. There is a ton of great software out their that people write for small little things that getting this signed and approved crap from apple is not worth it.

Take for example this program I run on my computer call SpeedSim. Now it was made for an online game called Ogame and it used by many just to simulated the battle and outcome of it to see if it is worth attacking a player. My guess it is was written in Visual basic or Visual C++ but it is just a quick little program some one made for the community and made it free to anyone who wants it but if they had to get it signed by some one to be allowed to let others use it it would never of been made and the community would not have access to that great little tool.

I am using it as an example as an random little piece of software that some one would never want to get approved because it cost to much and not worth the trouble. It would hammer the open source community.

Apple we pound out how this is a good thing but in the long run it will hurt apple. We all have used software that was made for a small group buy people in their free time for fun. Yeah they are not a polished or as pretty but they do get the job done.

I could give other example of little piece of software that not many have heard of that I use on my PC but SpeedSim seem to be an example of a really good one.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Just because they are not "trusted" or verified through Apple, does not mean they will not run. It just means that they have not used the latest development tools, and may be susceptible to instances where they may not be up to date with Apple's code. As we all know, not being up to code can cause issues. Look at Windows. This is what Apple does. Verifies and confirms that the software has been verified as compliant to their code. This can be a good thing.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
If Apple can translate the iPad model over the the "computer" end of their business, it just might work.

I love Apple just as much as the next person here, but you are crazy. This model will NEVER work on a desktop/laptop computer. This would NEVER happen.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Just because they are not "trusted" or verified through Apple, does not mean they will not run. It just means that they have not used the latest development tools, and may be susceptible to instances where they may not be up to date with Apple's code. As we all know, not being up to code can cause issues. Look at Windows. This is what Apple does. Verifies and confirms that the software has been verified as compliant to their code. This can be a good thing.
What about Windows?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

how is it a good thing?

this isnt the iphone where people need stable network communications or a decent performance experience. these are computers that run much more capable hardware and many times, continuously plugged in

if apple said we could not have desktop backgrounds on osx and couldn't multitask, i am sure you would be trying to spin that off as a "good" thing as well

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If Apple can translate the iPad model over the the "computer" end of their business, it just might work.

Not going to happen.
They can pull it off on the iPhone, and iPad because those markets for apps just was not as big and apple could set the rules.

Apple did not have the first App store out there. I know for a fact before apple app store people had made app stores for both Blackberry and Windows Mobile. Now they were not run by RIM or Microsoft but just small companies but the either way the app market for phones was not huge.

Now on computer the rules for applications, and software have been set for a long time and apple does control over it. 3rd parties have set the rules of the game already. I see this as being bad.

I also see it as apples control freak ways coming to hurt it and to do force obsolete of peoples computer making them buy a new one if they want any hope of running new software that would not need access to ANY of the new so call feature released in the next OS.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple does this, me moves back to Windows :mad:

Sure there will be a "jailbreak" for this but is Apple soon going to limit EVERYTHING on their products? Soon you can't boot it without paying 5$ for Apple

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Im sure this isnt true but it seems like its going to happen eventually. I can absolutely see Apple coming out with an app store where they can censor and block competition while taking a share of every app on their OS. If/when they try to reinvent the home computer I think its guaranteed that this will happen, it cant happen on current computers though.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This should sum up my opinion of it and the worse part is people will buy it saying it is a great thing.

icrap.JPG

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
code signing is one thing, if apple enforces a so called "approved by apple" requirement. They'll lose another customer. My MBP is will be ready to be replaced by the time 10.7 is ready either in 2011 or 2012. I have no problems moving to win7 which allows me to run any program I wish

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
They might as well make iAd a system program that is always running as well, and only allow apps from their app store on your Mac. This seems like a bang-up idea. :rolleyes:

I guess I would stay with 10.6 and never buy a new mac again if this were truly the case.

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
if apple does this it'll reduce its user base to only ipods, ipads and iphone ..
and with all the competition in those areas pple might want to switch to other options.
apple will effectively be killing itself :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I just can't see how this would be possible..

We're not talking about small applications here like we are for iP*. Large scale applications with millions of lines of code and multi-GB installs are just not going to end up with an 'approval' process from Apple and required digital distribution.

No way..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.