Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163717-java_icon.jpg

Apple today released a pair of Java updates targeting users of Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard.

- Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 2 (78 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.6.3)
Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 2 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_20.
Minor additional information is available in Apple's associated support document. Apple has also documented the security issues fixed with the update.

- Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 7 (122 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.5.8)
Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 7 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_24, and updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_20 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs. J2SE 1.4.2 is no longer being updated to fix bugs or security issues and remains disabled by default in this update.
Apple offers highlighted points of interest on the support document for the release. Details of the security issues addressed in the update are also available.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java Updates for Leopard and Snow Leopard

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Pardon the ignorant question, but what is Java used for these days anyway?

Its main niche is in server side services/applications. But it's used everywhere from mobile app devel (Android) to desktop apps

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
This is impressive for Apple. Previously, they've gotten really bad about Java security updates, sometimes going months before passing the update down to consumers. This time it only went about 1 month.

Business: Many large businesses and governments use Java in back-end environments (JMS or as the processor for a web service using JDBC).

Mobile: a ton of games/apps out there for other platforms other than iPhone OS

Other: Bluray movie content is encoded using Java.

bartolo5

macrumors member
May 11, 2008

A lot of desktop apps are java based these days even if you don't realize about it. OpenOffice and Eclipse come to mind. Sun's JVM runtime has got really good in the last few years in terms of speed, so you've got not only java apps but many other (scripting) languages running on top of the java VM.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Glad apple haven't forgotten Java. It'll be a long time until we see Java7 - thats if Apple can be bothered - otherwise there is the Open Java.

I'm still wondering why on Earth Apple chose to delete Java 5 on Snow Leopard when upgrading from Leopard? People still need Java 5.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Glad apple haven't forgotten Java. It'll be a long time until we see Java7 - thats if Apple can be bothered - otherwise there is the Open Java.

I'm still wondering why on Earth Apple chose to delete Java 5 on Snow Leopard when upgrading from Leopard? People still need Java 5.

At this moment, it's not Apple you should be worrying about. It's Oracle. There's a lot of confusion now about both Solaris and Java, Oracle isn't doing anything to clear it up right now.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I've long since installed Java 5, but why Apple why - remove Java 5? Java 5 is still widely used!
Yeah, I've been stumped by that decision too. I still support a Java app that runs with Java 5 on a unix server. I can't move it to Java 6 until the server does.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Ummm...

Any reason why after I updated my boot HD was renamed to this: ][poj\][po=-09uyv 0

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/20f21ar.jpg[/IMG]

Very odd. I have AppleCare so I might as well start flexing it!

System: Mac Pro, 2.8ghz 8-Core, 10.6.3

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
That's peculiar...

Why is Java 1.6 available only for 64 bit systems on Leopard 10.5, but available for both 32 bit and 64 bit systems on Snow Leopard 10.6?

This doesn't make sense; is it just another Apple "WTF moment"?

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005

My whole computer is running really slow and I'm getting a bunch of beach balls - it was like that at all before the update. I can't run safari or pages for 2 minutes before they freeze up. I'm repairing permissions right now so hopefully that will fix the issue.

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
At this moment, it's not Apple you should be worrying about. It's Oracle. There's a lot of confusion now about both Solaris and Java, Oracle isn't doing anything to clear it up right now.

I don't think you need to worry about the future of Java. It's the jewel in the Sun crown and I would guess the main thing Oracle were after with the takeover. Oracle have always been strongly into Java.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

The very best FTP/SFTP client for Mac OS X, CyberDuck, (http://www.cyberduck.ch) is written in Java. I admit that this application is a rare exception since Java never really made it to the consumer desktop. Most of the other Java software probably doesn't concern you, since it's mostly business/enterprise related or used for academic/scientific/engineering purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.