Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Well, at least in Tiger anyway...

I found this at another forum, thought you guys might like to hear about it :)

Apparantly, Apple has put in support for other networks in a roundabout way - Jabber, the chat network newly supported by Tiger's iChat (iChat v3) supports contacts from other chat networks via so-called "gateways". iChat doesn't directly support gateways, but if you create the gateways with another Jabber client, then add your Jabber account to iChat, iChat will automatically imports all the MSN/ICQ/Yahoo/AIM contacts from the gateways you added. Sounds confusing, but it's quite simple. Here's how:

1. Download a standalone Jabber client. I used Psi, but others should work too. I will write the rest of the tutorial assuming you are using Psi.

2. Open Psi, and register for an account. Enter your designated name/pass. You'll need to enter a server; I used 2entwine.net, but most other Jabber servers should work. Leave the port alone. Once registered, click the Status menu and ensure that your are online.

3. Probe for services. In Psi, choose General --> Service Discovery. A dialog will come up showing you what services the server is capable of. Click browse, then right-click the service you want to use, then select. Enter your registration info for that service.

4. Quit Psi

And that's it! Open iChat, add your Jabber account with the same settings as Psi, open the Japper buddy list, and your non-AIM contacts will magically appear in iChat! :cool:

Keep in mind this is no full substitute for Adium or Proteus - it doesn't support file transfers or audio/video, but it still pretty darned cool.

Making sure everybody sees this: This only works in Tiger, NOT Panther or older. I don't want people telling me "Yous suck!! This no worky. I use Panther with iChat AV" type posts :p

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Awesome. Truly awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing.

I can't wait for Tiger.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Will iChat Tiger offer chatroom support in MSN and Yahoo for group chat?
Will iChat Tiger offer crossplatform videochat and audiochat for MSN and Yahoo?
Will iChat Tiger offer offline messanging options in all of the servers it supports?
Offline messanging means if you aren't connected, and someone sends you an instant message, you get a notice when you connect that you were sent a message and the contents of those messages.

All three of those features are not fully supported in the official clients from those servers. Offline messanging is not available on AIM for the Mac either.

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
iindigo said:

Apparantly, Apple has put in support for other networks in a roundabout way - Jabber, the chat network newly supported by Tiger's iChat (iChat v3) supports contacts from other chat networks via so-called "gateways". iChat doesn't directly support gateways, but if you create the gateways with another Jabber client, then add your Jabber account to iChat, iChat will automatically imports all the MSN/ICQ/Yahoo/AIM contacts from the gateways you added. Sounds confusing, but it's quite simple. Here's how:
this is awesome.. and your quick guide really helped.. eventually i got it to work.. unfortunately.. all my contacts (over 200) now have to be authorized and have to reauthorize me on msn.. did i do something wrong or is this how it works ? they dont show up on ichat until i autoorize them..

is there any way around this ?

thanks

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
cool, I'm seeing my msn buddies in iChat :D

Hopefully someone will add video support, that would be v v cool

Rubin421

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2004
New York
Except from the iChat/AIM 5.5 thing and from Mercury, are there any Mac MSN clients which allow to do at least an audioconference with a PC?

thumper

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
one thing i like about MSN is that when i get an email that little pop up comes up to tell me,

will ichat tell me when i get a new email for hotmail.

all i use is MSN cuz everyone i know uses MSN and hotmail.
i love the way ichat works and the way it looks, but i never use my ,mac account cuz i hate having so many emails. ive had my hotmail account for about 7 years. :eek:

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I don't have tiger, osx, or a Yahoo, or MSN or Jabber account but I used to and I can answer all the questions:

You connect to MSN.
You add contacts.
You connect to Jabber.
You get your MSN contacts in Jabber.
You add Jabber to your iChat AV 3.
You get your MSN contacts in iChat AV 3.

Thats it. Only IMing. Nothing else. No email notifications, voice/video chat, nothing. Its only IMing... and its Limited IMing as well.

martijnvandijk

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2003
Netherlands
strange

iindigo said:

1. Download a standalone Jabber client. I used Psi, but others should work too. I will write the rest of the tutorial assuming you are using Psi.

2. Open Psi, and register for an account. Enter your designated name/pass. You'll need to enter a server; I used 2entwine.net, but most other Jabber servers should work. Leave the port alone. Once registered, click the Status menu and ensure that your are online.

3. Probe for services. In Psi, choose General --> Service Discovery. A dialog will come up showing you what services the server is capable of. Click browse, then right-click the service you want to use, then select. Enter your registration info for that service.

4. Quit Psi

And that's it! Open iChat, add your Jabber account with the same settings as Psi, open the Japper buddy list, and your non-AIM contacts will magically appear in iChat! :cool:

Keep in mind this is no full substitute for Adium or Proteus - it doesn't support file transfers or audio/video, but it still pretty darned cool.

Making sure everybody sees this: This only works in Tiger, NOT Panther or older. I don't want people telling me "Yous suck!! This no worky. I use Panther with iChat AV" type posts :p

Strange, I have to open Psi, get online and get my MSN service online every time to get iChat to work like you describe above. Once I quit Psi, I won't be able to get my MSN-contacts online... how come?
thanks, martijn

oliverw

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2005
Can send but can't recieve??

I have set up PSI and I can send from iChat to Yahoo! IM, but I can't reply... The speech bubble appears in iChat when the Yahoo! person is typing, but no IM message is sent through when they hit send.

Any ideas??

meathane

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
that guide is way too vague. anyone give a total newbie version with pics and stuff?

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Ok, here goed the pic Guide!

Please note that this will ONLY work for the TIGER version of iChat.

1.) Go get Psi first. PSI

2.)Get a Jabber acount that supports you IM network.

"Jabber is best known as "the Linux of instant messaging" -- an open, secure, ad-free alternative to consumer IM services like AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo." (What is Jabber?)

Even though Jabber is its own alternative to the other mentioned consumer Im services, most Jabber servers allow their clients to connect to AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo through the use of Gateways or "transports", its these transports that we are interested in.

To get a Jabber account that supports transports go to jabber.org/network to find a open one.

Of great importance is the supported networks at the top... if the open server does not support a transport to your desired IM network then you will not be able to chat on that network!

attachment.php

Once you have created a account at one of the open servers you can proceed to start Psi.

3.)Starting Psi

Dismiss the initial help message and proceed to the account menu.

attachment.php

Psi seems to create a default empty account already. Slect the account and then click modify.

attachment.php

Enter your Jabber ID (registered.username @ choice.of.server).
Enter your password.

attachment.php

Before we can even try adding your other IM networks you first have to change your satus of Psi to online.

attachment.php

Once you are fully connected to your Jabber server its time to add your Transports

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 25,000
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 43,344
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 24,734
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 24,659
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 42,734

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
dotdotdot said:
Thats it. Only IMing. Nothing else. No email notifications, voice/video chat, nothing. Its only IMing... and its Limited IMing as well.

I get Yahoo! email notifications!
Might be that the Jabber-server has to support that function.
I user jabber.dk

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
4.)Adding Transports

To add transports please note that you have to be connected to your chosen Jabber server!

attachment.php

In the general menu click service discovery.

attachment.php

Click "browse" to have Psi discover any transports that your Jabber server offers.
Scroll down and double click the Transport you desire. (Either MSN, Yahoo ect.)

Once you have entered your IM details click the register button.

attachment.php

You will have to authorize the transport before Jabber will add connect to your IM network with your username.

attachment.php

If all went weel with the transport your buddies should start to be added.

We are done with Psi and can go to iChat.

5.) Setting up Jabber in iChat

In iChat preferences you will want to add your Jabber server.

In the accounts tab click the "+" to add a new account.

Choose jabber as the account type and fill in the details. iChat will add the server once you have added your Jabber ID (registered.name@choice.of.server).

Click the add button.
Your Jabber acount should now be listed in the accounts list.

attachment.php

Close the preferences window.

If all goes well iChat will now want to add every single one of your buddies, you will have to authorize/Accept them all!

According to me thats all thats needed.. hope this helps you meathane.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 42,335
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 42,270
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 42,121
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 23,870
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 23,769
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.