Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers have received shipping notices for their MacBook Pro orders. Photos of the first MacBook Pros are also appearing on the web:

Unpacking Photos
Another Gallery

The 15" MacBook Pro was announced on January 10th 2006 at Macworld San Francisco, but the initial shipments weren't expected until mid February. Apple also surprised customers by announcing earlier this week that the 15" MacBook Pro would be shipping at higher processor speeds than originally announced.

The 15" PowerBooks are slowly being phased out of Apple's product line. Apple had previously said that the previous G4 PowerBook would only be sold while supplies lasted.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I wonder why Apple decided to up the processor speeds. :confused:

Maybe Intel gave them a better deal on the faster processors (after all, if everyone uses a faster intel processor it makes intel look good).

Or...

Apple's previous benchmarks were wrong so they needed to make up for it?

Or...

Apple had planed it all along.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
that bottom picture

the picture that shows the bottom of macbook is intriguing. did i see it correctly that it shows the memory slot?

so i don't need tiny phillips screws anymore maybe....

you had to expect the increase in size of powerbrick....

someone turn that thing on and tell us the battery life please!

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Second that...

syklee26 said:
the picture that shows the bottom of macbook is intriguing. did i see it correctly that it shows the memory slot?

Yes please, please turn it on and tell us the battery life (first the estimated from the indicator in the menu bar, then maybe the real world battery life with power settings both on high and low). Doubt it will happen, but I am keeping my hopes up and high that someone early this upcoming will not let me down. Time for the MacRumors community to show what they're made of!:D

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
syklee26 said:

No, I think you're seeing the battery compartment, and what you can see at the bottom of the battery compartment looks it it could be the underside of the trackpad.

I think the small compartment adjacent to the battery compartment (towards the back of the machine) is where the memory goes. It looks like you'll still need to remove the battery and then remove some screws to open the faceplate.

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
generik said:
Is it just me but did they redesign the battery too?
Yes, its a new lithium polymer (Li-Poly) battery, unlike the Li-Ion batteries in the Powerbook G4's and iBook G4's. Supposed to be a little more durable and better hold a charge. So you're right on the battery redesign, let's just hope this translates to better battery life, even with the brighter screen!

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Wait, that does look like a new battery design, and it's covering possibly the airport card and screws for the RAM upgrade... maybe!!!

Can't wait to order one in the next month or so!

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
it looks more like the bottom of the 17" powerbook. The dual slide releases for the battery, the fact you have to remove the battery to gain access to the screw for the memory door, the placement of the memory panel above the battery, it's all the same as the 17", whose design I always preferred anyway.

crazy box though, very very thin compared to the old one, which is good, I've got enough giant Mac boxes around here. :D anyone else have that Giant original G5 box? that thing is a monster

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
alep85 said:
Yes, its a new lithium polymer (Li-Poly) battery, unlike the Li-Ion batteries in the Powerbook G4's and iBook G4's. Supposed to be a little more durable and better hold a charge. So you're right on the battery redesign, let's just hope this translates to better battery life, even with the brighter screen!

This is another one of those "The guy at the apple store tells me" but I thought I'd share anyway. So the guy I was speaking to told me that they never get told anything in advance, and that they know about new apple products as soon as we the consumers do, but when things do get changed and released, they know why (i.e, they know why they upped the processor speed on the macbook, but he wouldn't tell me). So he told me that they used this new technology (Li-poly, as said somewhere else) that holds a better charge than Li-Ion. He said that they could have left the screen the same and gotten about 7 hours of battery life, but instead they upped the display brightness and the battery life will be similar to the old powerbooks (4-5.5 hrs depending on use)

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
I think those kind of batteries get a longer lasting charge after a few recharges. So the first reports of battery life might be lower than what they will be.

MeatBiProduct

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
Order one today and you won't get it for a month:

order-img-001.jpg

work order btw.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
EricNau said:
I wonder why Apple decided to up the processor speeds. :confused:

Maybe Intel gave them a better deal on the faster processors (after all, if everyone uses a faster intel processor it makes intel look good).

Or...

Apple's previous benchmarks were wrong so they needed to make up for it?

Or...

Apple had planed it all along.
Nothing to gain by it; only reason was so they could put the 1.66 GHz Duos in the iBook/MacBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.