Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkm13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I am running iOS 6, when I logged into my account it began syncing all my friends birthdays to my calendar. This is not a big deal, as i can simply hide that calendar so they will not show up. However hiding the calendar will not remove the birthdays from the notification center. Having them there is very annoying and I would love to find out how to remove, only the events that came with Facebook, from notification center. Any help would be great!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Under Settings, go to Facebook settings. There you can toggle on/off whether Facebook integrates with calendar and contacts. You'll want to disable calendar integration there.

parkm13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Under Settings, go to Facebook settings. There you can toggle on/off whether Facebook integrates with calendar and contacts. You'll want to disable calendar integration there.

I have that turned off, still stays in the calendar. I think that is just stopping it from adding any new events.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well it may be contacts then? All I know is I had both enabled at first and it added all my FB friends' birthdays to my calendar and NC. After disabling both, this problem has been no more. Hopefully that will work for you, otherwise maybe you need to reinstall?

Orbane

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Well it may be contacts then? All I know is I had both enabled at first and it added all my FB friends' birthdays to my calendar and NC. After disabling both, this problem has been no more. Hopefully that will work for you, otherwise maybe you need to reinstall?

I had this problem also, especially annoying if you have a lot of Facebook friends - It seems that Facebook adds a Birthday to each of your contacts where it can. Toggling off 'Contacts' under Settings > General > Facebook as mentioned should fix this.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Yeah, birthdays are in the contacts. I think there is rather an option missing to control what calendars are shown in the Notification Center, that's not a particular Facebook issue.

parkm13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I turned off the contacts for Facebook and it didn't do anything

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
it will be reading from your contacts from iCloud, or on the phone
not Facebook

iv got my uncles birthday in notification center, i think its a nice touch, a handy reminder

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I had that problem and I turned Contacts and Calendar for Facebook both off then enabled Calendar again so that it only gave me birthdays of people in my phone contacts list.

parkm13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
it will be reading from your contacts from iCloud, or on the phone
not Facebook

iv got my uncles birthday in notification center, i think its a nice touch, a handy reminder

I agree that it is nice, but there needs to be a limit. I don't like seeing 3 birthdays a day of people I only know a little bit and do not really care about.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah, birthdays are in the contacts. I think there is rather an option missing to control what calendars are shown in the Notification Center, that's not a particular Facebook issue.

Correct. I'm running iOS 5.x (which has no Facebook integration), and I have the same issue: unwanted birthdays in Notification Center.

While FB integration may in fact increase the number of birthdays that are available for display, that's not really the issue, here. The issue is that there seems to be no way to completely disable the display of birthdays in Notification Center.

Frustrating.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
All you need to do is go into the calendar app, click on the calendar button (top left corner) and deselect the one at the bottom called birthdays!! :)

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
All you need to do is go into the calendar app, click on the calendar button (top left corner) and deselect the one at the bottom called birthdays!! :)

That doesn't work.

I'm having the issue as well. I made the mistake of syncing my FB friends and noticed how crazy it went. I then turned FB syncing off for contacts and calendars. I then turned off the birthday calendar in the calendar section. They are still appearing in NC.

Hopefully GM will fix this, or there will be a lot of pissed off people when iOS 6 drops.

JustinJones

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Got it! Go to the Facebook app. Tap Account Settings. Then tap Notifications and uncheck Events.

----------

Ok. Maybe not.

JustinJones

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Ok. Think I finally got it. In the iPhone's settings go to Facebook. Then run off calendar and contacts. Then go into the Facebook app and do what I said above. You can then turn on contacts and calendars again under the iPhone Settings menu.

purd002

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Ok. Think I finally got it. In the iPhone's settings go to Facebook. Then run off calendar and contacts. Then go into the Facebook app and do what I said above. You can then turn on contacts and calendars again under the iPhone Settings menu.

This worked for a couple minutes and then refreshed and had refilled Notification Center with birthdays.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Same problem here. I think i'm just going to not use Facebook contact syncing as this is just silly.

Veneblo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
You have to uncheck contacts in the Facebook setting AND also press update contacts after that.

Viatomac

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
This is what I did and it worked for me:

Go to: Settings > Facebook > uncheck 'Calendar', 'Contacts'
Then go to: Calandar > Calendars > uncheck ' Facebook birthdays'
Then go to Settings > Notifications > Calendar > uncheck to off
Then go to Settings > Facebook > 'Update Contacts'
Then, finally: go to Settings > Notifcations > Calendar > check to on

Be sure to leave 'Calendars' AND 'Contacts' unchecked.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
This is what I did and it worked for me:

Go to: Settings > Facebook > uncheck 'Calendar', 'Contacts'
Then go to: Calandar > Calendars > uncheck ' Facebook birthdays'
Then go to Settings > Notifications > Calendar > uncheck to off
Then go to Settings > Facebook > 'Update Contacts'
Then, finally: go to Settings > Notifcations > Calendar > check to on

Be sure to leave 'Calendars' AND 'Contacts' unchecked.

This worked great for me. I managed to recheck contacts and it didn't come back, although we'll wait and see for whoever has a birthday next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.