Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
The interval between each DP release has been approx. 2 weeks, which means that DP4 should be just around the corner. Does anyone have any thoughts/hopes about what it will introduce? Any bugs that will be fixed?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I expect Overall stability and performance improvements.

Here's hoping this extended downtime of the developer portal does not effect a release of DP4 of iOS & OS X.

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
I'd expect for developer releases to increase as time goes by. But if it should come, bet it will be simply overall stability and improvement. Hopefully they will redo Contacts and Calendar apps and add some contextual lines along the way. Now it just seems waaaaay to simple.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Would think it'll be DP3 v1.1 or v2.0

...but this is officially DP3 13A510d (DP2 was 13A497d and DP1 was 13A476u) and not DP3 1.0. Apple doesn't use version numbers on DP (that I can remember) and I believe any revised release would automatically be DP4 xxxxxxx.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
...but this is officially DP3 13A510d (DP2 was 13A497d and DP1 was 13A476u) and not DP3 1.0. Apple doesn't use version numbers on DP (that I can remember) and I believe any revised release would automatically be DP4 xxxxxxx.

mavericks-800x103.png

13.07.08-Mavericks-3.jpg

DP1 and DP2 are just listed like that, DP3 is listed as Developer Preview 3 1.0,
which leads me to believe it'll be a smaller update.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Remember that mountain lion had several versions of some of the DPs. I expect it will be the same for mavericks.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we will see a DP4 this week. Maybe just another version of DP3.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Remember that mountain lion had several versions of some of the DPs. I expect it will be the same for mavericks.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we will see a DP4 this week. Maybe just another version of DP3.

Riddle me this...What constitutes a full DP version over a partial? DP3 didn't add any features (at least in the release notes) except Migration Assistant and seemed VERY minor.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
If they make mail have notifications when the app is quit like reminders that would be nice.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If they make mail have notifications when the app is quit like reminders that would be nice.

Could be nice, but also could be difficult to do without moving mail server logic into the notifications ... thing (technical term!). With all of the different types of servers supported by Mail, it could be more trouble than it's worth.

larry918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Could be nice, but also could be difficult to do without moving mail server logic into the notifications ... thing (technical term!). With all of the different types of servers supported by Mail, it could be more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe also add the Quick Reply feature found in iMessage to Mail as well? That would be nice.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Riddle me this...What constitutes a full DP version over a partial? DP3 didn't add any features (at least in the release notes) except Migration Assistant and seemed VERY minor.

A DP release is not about adding new features with every release but addressing outstanding issues that Apple wants developers to test out.

If they found one or two bugs that were rather large or show stoppers, they'll update the current DP with that without calling it a new DP.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
On my MBP i've noticed that System Preferences loads instantly now when I click on it. Previously it would take quite a while or not appear at all and I would have to click it again (even though the light appeared underneath it!).

Overall system seems much more responsive.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada

They would more than likely just move the Mail server logic into an agent that runs in the background like iMessage (imagent).

Zombiechow

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
On my MBP i've noticed that System Preferences loads instantly now when I click on it. Previously it would take quite a while or not appear at all and I would have to click it again (even though the light appeared underneath it!).

Overall system seems much more responsive.

Mavericks performance is outstanding when compared to Mountain Lion. The difference is literally night and day. Transitions are fluid, as is Safari (even with the iGPU is heavily in use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.