Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armanijohnny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
I was cleaning my 15" MBP Retina today using a cloth that came with one of my other iProducts and noticed that some of the coating on the black outer border was coming off. At first it looked like smudges until I went back over it and noticed it was coming off and getting larger. Anyone hear of or had this issue? Possible concern for a bigger issue?

I couldn't find much on the forum other then the dead pixel issue which I had previously that Apple replaced and a yellowish tint which I'm dealing with right now on the left side of my screen which Apple says it's not noticeable.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 18,105

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
What in the world? How? I didn't even think there was a "coating" to tear off like that without steel wool or something..:eek:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I was cleaning my 15" MBP Retina today using a cloth that came with one of my other iProducts and noticed that some of the coating on the black outer border was coming off. At first it looked like smudges until I went back over it and noticed it was coming off and getting larger. Anyone hear of or had this issue? Possible concern for a bigger issue?

I couldn't find much on the forum other then the dead pixel issue which I had previously that Apple replaced and a yellowish tint which I'm dealing with right now on the left side of my screen which Apple says it's not noticeable.
We're you using any cleaning agent (windex, Et cetera) while cleaning? That might do it...

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Could be the AR coating coming off. I am also curious if you used any products to clean the screen.

Sadly, I don't think it's repairable. The display is part of the glass, so you have to replace the entire display for that, and Apple is gonna charge you a hefty amount of cash for it.:(

armanijohnny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Only wiped it down with water and then used a microfiber cloth to get the smudges off. Thats why I find it concerning and not sure if anyone else had this issue. I think there is some sort of baked/painted on black coating that outlines only the black area. I know it's a black coating only because I can see the black coating on the microfiber cloth. I don't think it's some sort of coating that is applied to the whole screen at least not the black coating. I think Apple did this to give the border a deeper black look but at the same time why didn't they put this black coating on the inside of the glass rather than the outside? Unless somehow the glass was installed backwards. Yeah I'm not sure. A bit bummed considering this is my second screen.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Could be the AR coating coming off. I am also curious if you used any products to clean the screen.

Sadly, I don't think it's repairable. The display is part of the glass, so you have to replace the entire display for that, and Apple is gonna charge you a hefty amount of cash for it.:(

Any chance this would get replaced under warranty?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Only wiped it down with water and then used a microfiber cloth to get the smudges off. Thats why I find it concerning and not sure if anyone else had this issue. I think there is some sort of baked/painted on black coating that outlines only the black area. I know it's a black coating only because I can see the black coating on the microfiber cloth. I don't think it's some sort of coating that is applied to the whole screen at least not the black coating. I think Apple did this to give the border a deeper black look but at the same time why didn't they put this black coating on the inside of the glass rather than the outside? Unless somehow the glass was installed backwards. Yeah I'm not sure. A bit bummed considering this is my second screen.

Have you had your water tested.

Can people stop using water. That is what the iKlear product and micro fibre cloth is for people. These are over priced machines why are people treating it like a consumer product like the rest of them out there?

I only dry wipe down because I never breathe on or touch the display so I NEVER get smudges.

I would file a formal complaint with the company for sure.

Good luck. I filed a complaint about the black cloths, why can't they just use a dye-free cloth. DUH! They gave me a 1500 dollar gift card.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

Can people stop using water. That is what the iKlear product and micro fibre cloth is for people. These are over priced machines why are people treating it like a consumer product like the rest of them out there?

I only dry wipe down because I never breathe on or touch the display so I NEVER get smudges.

Good luck. I filed a complaint about the black cloths, why can't they just use a dye-free cloth. DUH! They gave me a 1500 dollar gift card.

Water should be fine to clean the display. The Apple product guide that comes with the machine states that all you need to clean the display is a microfiber cloth and water, doesn't mention needing to use specialty cleaning solutions (which are mostly water anyway) to clean the screen.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Water should be fine to clean the display. The Apple product guide that comes with the machine states that all you need to clean the display is a microfiber cloth and water, doesn't mention needing to use specialty cleaning solutions (which are mostly water anyway) to clean the screen.

^This. Water and even wear should not damage the coating like that, unless it was defective to begin with. There might have been inpurities in the glass surface, so the anti-reflection coating has not stuck as well as it should have.

I would call Apple and ask what to do. The panel should be replaced.

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Any chance this would get replaced under warranty?

I think yes. You should go to an Apple Store and check.

I don't think there is a black coating on the bezel. What makes me think that it's the AR coating is the purple hue of the reflections on the screen.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013

Yeah I wonder why???

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

what the

armanijohnny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I made an appt. with the Genius guys to take a look at it. The guy that helped me out stated he had never seen this issue before with the black bezel coating coming off. I also mentioned to him that the left side of the display was more yellowish as well.

He took a look at these two issues and within a minute said that the display would need to be replaced. I'm glad I have Apple care to cover this. So I'll wait 5-7 days before I get the machine back. Hopefully third screen is the charm.

As for testing my water I held a lighter near the faucet and didn't see flames shooting out. Does that count? I don't think the water is that toxic to wipe the coating off. Otherwise the peeps of San Francisco will have a lot more to worry about.

Thanks Guys!

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Same issue over here. Today I cleaned my display (micro fibre cloth and a little bit of water) and it started to get bigger and bigger.

First of all I thought, it's a fingerprint or some dirt spots/marks from the keyboard (that happens quite often). But after cleaning the spot doesn't go away.

Now I have a scratched coating area directly at the middle of my display :(

I will have an genius appointment next week. Hope they will change my display (maybe directly?).

I don't have any Apple Care (and my MBPr is just over one year old) :confused:

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012

u complained and got a 1500 gift carD? how?

----------

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I made an appt. with the Genius guys to take a look at it. The guy that helped me out stated he had never seen this issue before with the black bezel coating coming off. I also mentioned to him that the left side of the display was more yellowish as well.

He took a look at these two issues and within a minute said that the display would need to be replaced. I'm glad I have Apple care to cover this. So I'll wait 5-7 days before I get the machine back. Hopefully third screen is the charm.

As for testing my water I held a lighter near the faucet and didn't see flames shooting out. Does that count? I don't think the water is that toxic to wipe the coating off. Otherwise the peeps of San Francisco will have a lot more to worry about.

Thanks Guys!

did u get a new display? is it samsung or lg?

motoryogurt

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Same issue

Same problem with my macbook retina. Also, slightly passed my warranty. Won't be buying macbook next time I upgrade.

TyroneMichael

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
Happened to me this morning

Exact same thing happened to me this morning. I am always trying to keep my computer clean and have cleaned the screen countless times.

I have posted a picture of how the coating seems to be coming off and is almost identical (probably worse) than the picture that started this thread.

I initially thought it was something sticky on the screen so the more I began to clean it the worse it became.

I bought the computer in the States, but am currently working in S.A. I have heard horror stories about how they refuse to fix things here, so I am wondering what my best bet is? Thanks for the help guys and at least I am not alone in this.

scratch.jpg

Attachments

• scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 15,104

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I had that happen on the 13" MacBook Aluminum back in 2008. Just took it to the Apple Store and they replaced the entire display for me.

Polyphonie

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Toronto
One important step prior to wiping or cleaning smudges of the screen, is to make sure that that there's very little dust or dirt on the screen. The combination of dirt, dust and water can create a pretty abrasive compound. And even if you're using Micro-fibre cloth, even with the slightest amount of elbow grease, it should be enough to slowly sand the display coating down.

If you look at camera lens cleaning kit, one of the cleaning component is an Air Blower (sometimes with a soft bristle brush attachment)- use that prior to wiping/cleaning.

Personally, I prefer the Swifter Duster. Just make sure that you keep one exclusively for the laptop. Also go for the slightly more expensive 3D duster (it's fluffier).

The last thing to remember is that instead of cleaning the screen only when the display is already dirty, the best approach is to clean it as often as possible and with the least amount of force (to remove dirt/stains). The worst thing you can do is to go on a full on cleaning assault,

TyroneMichael

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
Dam. Cleaned my screen numerous amount of times and never happened. Anyway, at least its on the border of the screen and not on the actual LCD itself. Just hoping it does not spread. Will take it in anyway and see what they say.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This concerns me, as I too am very careful, but it seems care doesn't matter. Just reading through the thread it seems in some cases using water can do this. I suspect a defect in the manufacturing process. The bad news for me if this occurs - I'm out of warranty. Here's hoping its not something that hits many of us.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I would be more suspect of physical damage as water will not do this.

whittaker007

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
I have these "scratches" too in various spots around the black bezel. Getting slightly worried now as I just noticed a similar small dot in the main screen area which I thought was a speck of dried spit or something, but it won't come off. Still under warranty, but it's my main machine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.