Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Apple Super Computer (Army)

Based on the success of Virginia Tech's PowerMac G5 supercomputer, CNet reports that Colsa has placed an order with Apple for a number of servers:

Quote:
A U.S. Army contractor has purchased a $5.8 million, 1,566-server supercomputer from Apple Computer, a real-world cousin to an academic system that briefly appeared high on a list of the most powerful machines.
The new cluster is expected to reach 15 teraflops when it is completed this fall and will run Army simulations of the aerodynamics of flight.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Bernd
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Bernd
yes

Good news Apple
Bernd is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:28 PM   #3
impierced
macrumors 6502

Rumored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors
Based on the success of Virginia Tech's PowerMac G5 supercomputer, CNet reports that Colsa has placed an order with Apple for a number of servers:

The new cluster is expected to reach 15 teraflops when it is completed this fall and will run Army simulations of the aerodynamics of flight.
This was rumored a while back from some foreign web site and everyone dismissed it. Anyone remember the link?
impierced is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:29 PM   #4
geerlingguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to geerlingguy
Yay Apple :)

Woohoo! Another one chalked up for Apple... how long will it be before we all have 50 Xserves in our basements?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

MacCentral says it will be more than 15 TF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentral
The supercomputer, named MACH 5, is expected to deliver peak performance capability of more than 25 TFlops/second. In comparison, the Virginia Tech supercomputer announced last year attained sustained performance of approximately 10 TFlops/second, according to Apple director of product management, server hardware, Alex Grossman.
Either way.....AWESOME.

I know twice as many xServes would scale directly to twice as much power, but just imagine if the 5.8 million dollars they used to buy all of these xServes was 58 million. Imagine Macs comprising the fastest computer in the world......still many times less than the 350 million dollar Earth Simulator!

Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:32 PM   #6
macridah
macrumors 6502a

25 teraflops ... that's blazing crazy fast. Go Army.
macridah is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by impierced
This was rumored a while back from some foreign web site and everyone dismissed it. Anyone remember the link?
Well this isn't foreign, it is just AppleInsider :

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider
Meanwhile, TechWeb is reporting that Virginia Tech has received "a number of inquiries" from federal agencies to use the university's installation or its supercomputer-kit technology to build their own supercomputer installations, following the universities announced plans to transition the cluster to Apple's new dual Power PC 970 Xserve G5 systems.

Argonne National Lab, the National Security Agency, and NASA, are among those expressing interest in the supercomputer technology. According to the article, negotiations were underway with potential customers who could use the university's installation itself, or obtain rights to build their own supercomputer based on the university's technology.
I do remember another source though.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:38 PM   #8
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

What?!!?!? WTF?? The government actually doing something right?

Good news for Apple. Good news for the Army. Bad news fo' M$ and DuLL.
musicpyrite is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:41 PM   #9
nuclearwinter
macrumors regular

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! This is totally sweet! I am flipping out!
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:41 PM   #10
impierced
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freg3000
Well this isn't foreign, it is just AppleInsider :

I do remember another source though.
I remember a site (maybe it wasn't foreign) that listed the reasons as to why the XServe G5 (or was it the PowerMac) wasn't shipping. One was because the US Government (I think) was purchasing 1500+ systems and another reason was something that was going to get someone at Apple in hot water. There were like 3 or 4 reasons.

ARGH, stupid memory.
impierced is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:41 PM   #11
deepkid
macrumors regular

Not using InfiniBand?

Quote:

I wonder if they'll run into any bottlenecks using gigabit ethernet instead of InfiniBand. Would that affect them truly reaching 15 teraflops...
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:47 PM   #12
nsb3000
macrumors 6502

Quote:

In related news, the new list of the top 500 super computers just came out, and I can't find Virginia Tech's Powermac G5 cluster anywhere on it. Did it really slide from #3 all the way to 501 and beyond?

EDIT: I answered my own question. The article states: "System X, which vanished from the most recent list for upgrades,"...

Last edited by nsb3000; Jun 21, 2004 at 07:52 PM.
nsb3000 is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:48 PM   #13
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepkid
I wonder if they'll run into any bottlenecks using gigabit ethernet instead of InfiniBand. Would that affect them truly reaching 15 teraflops...
If you read the article, it mentions that they don't need the network bandwidth that the Big Mac needed. We'll see.

http://news.com.com/Apple+sells+supe...bj=news.1010.5

Last edited by coolfactor; Jun 21, 2004 at 07:50 PM.
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:51 PM   #14
Sunrunner
macrumors 6502a

Cool hrmm....

[QUOTE=coolfactor]If you read the article, it mentions that they don't need the network bandwidth that the Big Mac needed. We'll see.

I wonder why that would be ... isn't network bandwidth one of the primary factors that kill the speed of cllustered computers?
Sunrunner is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:52 PM   #15
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb3000
In related news, the new list the top 500 super computers just came out, and I can't find Virginia Tech's Powermac G5 cluster anywhere on it. Did it really slide from #3 all the way to 501 and beyond?

EDIT: I answered my own question. The article states: "System X, which vanished from the most recent list for upgrades,"...
It's not on there because they're in transition to an Xserve-based setup. Apple sure must've taken a hit for that, given the delays of delivering the new machines.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:54 PM   #16
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunner
I wonder why that would be ... isn't network bandwidth one of the primary factors that kill the speed of cllustered computers?
It could be the way the processing is done. There would be a difference between transferring digital media files and transferring mathematical data, though.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:56 PM   #17
må¥å

Apple is going out of Business (scarstic)

With this news and the news previously about the USarmy icons for the login this is looking good for apple.

And I remember people saying that Apple is going to go out of business in another 20 years.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:57 PM   #18
mactarkus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mactarkus
Bigger news than you think!

As someone who works for the Department of Defense, this purchase of Apple computers is monumental toward more widespread adoption of the platform. You see, the US Government = Microsoft. Even Linux is still a hard sell most of the time. I remember there was a big purchase by the US Navy a year or so back to outfit a submarine. I wonder how that project is progressing.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:09 PM   #19
nsb3000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor
It's not on there because they're in transition to an Xserve-based setup. Apple sure must've taken a hit for that, given the delays of delivering the new machines.
Its true. Apple really needs to get over their "we make great products but have no idea how to produce them in volume" problem...
nsb3000 is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:10 PM   #20
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

[QUOTE=Sunrunner]
Quote:
If you read the article, it mentions that they don't need the network bandwidth that the Big Mac needed. We'll see.

It depends on the application.

The important factor is the ratio of the amount of data needed per "work unit" and the amount of CPU time needed to process the "work unit".

By far one of the most massive supercomputers around is the one doing SETI@home - and it's running on dialup, DSL and cable modems. The key is that it needs many CPU hours of work on a data packet of a few hundred KB.

For MPI jobs like LINPACK, however, you need to work on a few KB of data for a fraction of a second.

A slow or high-latency network will kill MPI performance. It won't matter for video rendering or other tasks with the right profile.
AidenShaw is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:10 PM   #21
Exponent
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Cool Beans. Go USArmy!

May the calculations of this computer help protect our awesome troops around the world.
Exponent is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:14 PM   #22
macsrus
Banned

[QUOTE=Sunrunner]
Quote:

As a general rule faster interconnects=faster clusters....
But this is very Problem/Code related....

If your particular code does alot of message passing then a low latency interconnect such as Quadrics, Myrinet, or Infiniband is the way to go....

But some Problems are so CPU intensive... that they are literally CPU bound and for these Codes low latency interconnects are not as important...
And you can get by with Ethernet

Since they say they dont need a high speed interconnect, I would expect that their code is like the later
macsrus is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:18 PM   #23
deepkid
macrumors regular

Flight simulations...

Quote:
It could be the way the processing is done. There would be a difference between transferring digital media files and transferring mathematical data, though.
Would seem like flight simulations would need speedy networking also. I guess we'll see once they get it up running. BTW, I did read that statement about networking needs in the article, but it still left me wondering.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:24 PM   #24
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactarkus
As someone who works for the Department of Defense, this purchase of Apple computers is monumental toward more widespread adoption of the platform. You see, the US Government = Microsoft. Even Linux is still a hard sell most of the time.
Well put!

Hey, the government/DoD is not anti Mac and pro Microsoft. You could order any computer as long as it ran Windows natively and had Microsoft Office installed!

I really enjoyed it when the Army switched over from NT to Mac servers. It was so fun to see the look on the IT folks faces when I informed them of the change. Total disbelief.

...Of course I gladly enlightened them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactarkus
I remember there was a big purchase by the US Navy a year or so back to outfit a submarine. I wonder how that project is progressing.
Didn't hear about this. Good news!

I remember the ship (destroyer I believe) that was run on WinNT that totally crashed and they had to tow it back into the yard to fix it. Funny!

Sushi
sushi is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:24 PM   #25
mactastic
macrumors 68040

As an added bonus, the Army will probably spend a good deal less worrying about software security issues.

It's good to see people who make decisions based on the bottom line choosing Apples again.

(And let's keep this thread out of the political section.)

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)