Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlcinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
The last time I was at the Apple store Genius bar, I was there to resolve a home button issue on my iPhone. This was my second visit and was told there was nothing more that could be done but I could get a replacement iPhone 4 for $149 or an iPhone 5 replacement for $199. I told the Geniius bar worker that I did not have any upgrades available (on Verizon) but was told that it was not needed for the replacement option. I have saved up and now am hoping to take advantage of the option to replace my iPhone 4 with the iPhone 5 for $199. I keep questioning myself though as to if this was accurate - did I hear correctly or was I dreaming? Has anyone else gone this route? Am I remembering correctly? I am so frustrated with my iPhone 4 home button not working correctly but do not think spending $149 for the same model is worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and comments! I hate to get there and be disappointed!

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I've had my first iphone 5 replaced (it was an openbox phone from best buy and had some battery issues) and the price on the replacement was $0.00 but showed on the receipt a value of $229, so its possible. It would be sweet if you could replace your 4 into a 5 through warranty. I'd say if you can, do it...it'll be a better deal than doing it through your phone carrier.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Umm that just doesn't sound right. I don't think they would replace your 4 with a 5 and only pay $199 without an upgrade.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yep. With a 2 year committment they will let you "upgrade" your 4 to a 5 for only $199!!!

You can even keep your 4!

How sweet are AT&T/Verizon/Sprint!?!??!

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The last time I was at the Apple store Genius bar, I was there to resolve a home button issue on my iPhone. This was my second visit and was told there was nothing more that could be done but I could get a replacement iPhone 4 for $149 or an iPhone 5 replacement for $199. I told the Geniius bar worker that I did not have any upgrades available (on Verizon) but was told that it was not needed for the replacement option. I have saved up and now am hoping to take advantage of the option to replace my iPhone 4 with the iPhone 5 for $199. I keep questioning myself though as to if this was accurate - did I hear correctly or was I dreaming? Has anyone else gone this route? Am I remembering correctly? I am so frustrated with my iPhone 4 home button not working correctly but do not think spending $149 for the same model is worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and comments! I hate to get there and be disappointed!

Yeah, this doesn't sound right at all. If the genius you talked to let's you, tho, most definitely do it. Make sure to go back to that genius you spoke with to be certain. If it ends up not being true, then I suppose your option would be to check out a local iPhone repair shop. Since it sounds like its currently out of warranty, it really wouldn't matter when it comes to voiding a warranty. The repair wouldn't cost that much either. Just google iPhone repair shop in your area and garner some reviews on them. I personally broke my 4S screen and got it repaired at one for $65. Good as new.

I hope everything works out!

Dlcinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Thanks. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow. Crossing my fingers but prepared for defeat c

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's possible - $199 + a 2 year contract.

Or, $149 for an iPhone 4. You can't pay $199 to swap your iPhone 4 for a 5 any way other than through a contract upgrade. Even if he wanted to, there's no physical way to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.