Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I didn't know where to post this, so please accept my apologies if this is the wrong section.

I've been keeping up with King of the Nerds this season and tonight they held a debate on an age old subject: Star Trek universe vs. Star Wars universe. They debated ships, weaponry, personel, technology and box office success. it was a very good debate.

Who do you think would win and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I didn't know where to post this, so please accept my apologies if this is the wrong section.

I've been keeping up with King of the Nerds this season and tonight they held a debate on an age old subject: Star Trek universe vs. Star Wars universe. They debated ships, weaponry, personel, technology and box office success. it was a very good debate.

Who do you think would win and why?

The Borg Cube would assimilate any Death Star.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Neither. Doctor Who would win :D.

Doctor Who violates the laws of physics. Can someone explain to me how a robot the sizes of a large trash bin can generate enough power to destroy an entire fleet?:eek: The Dalek was created using science, so it must abide by the laws of science.

As a fan of all three, I say Star Trek would win because they have several a species with beings with godlike powers: the Organians, the Q, Douwd. One Douwd, Kevin Uxbridge, completely wiped out an entire species of 50 billion (50,000,000,000:eek:) with single thought.:eek::eek::eek:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
As a fan of all three, I say Star Trek would win because they have several a species with beings with godlike powers: the Organians, the Q, Douwd. One Douwd, Kevin Uxbridge, completely wiped out an entire species of 50 billion (50,000,000,000:eek:) with single thought.:eek::eek::eek:

Surprisingly none of those species were mentioned in the debate. I feel this point would have gone a long way toward winning.

Star Wars hands down. But lets not count the "first" movie. Revenge isn't too bad and either is clone. But the first one, good god shoot me now.

I didn't like the first one either. Perhaps they felt it was necessary in order to establish a history? It did serve to help in that aspect.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
In terms of box office - Star Wars

In terms of Science Fiction - Star Trek sans Q and similar

In terms of humanist and fantasy stories - Dr. Who

My personal take - I sit in that camp that can take or leave Star Wars. I saw it when it originally came out and my friends and I thought it was a great deal of fun but nothing spectacular. The masses of course disagreed with us as it became a "phenom" immediately. I admit I am more a fan of Star Trek and Dr. Who Star Trek was more sci fi than the others mentioned and consider Dr. Who in the realm of fantasy along with Star Wars as an homage to serial movies that sit with "good guys and bad guys" such as Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. I admit I also sit in the minority as I never liked episodes of Star Trek with "the Q" as they were for me just plain silly. For more recent sci-fi, I find that Battlestar Galactica reboot and more so - Caprica fit the bill. The latter was off the air way too quickly which left me with a sense of chagrin. I might as well throw in Star Gate as being (for me) more entertaining than Star Wars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.