Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I just got my new iMac and started using Migration Assistant to transfer my old stuff to my new computer. Unfortunately I was not prepared for my old computer having Firewire 400 and the new on having 800. I started using my wireless connection to transfer. I was hoping for "time to completion" estimate but it doesn't look like it's going to give me one. I have a feeling this could take FOREVER so I was hoping to cancel it and find some spare networking hubs and connect both computers to a wired network.

I just want to make sure I can cancel my current process without messing anything up. Thanks!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
FireWire 400 is still faster than USB. I wouldn't worry too much. If it's taking too long, just leave it overnight and it'll be done by morning.

You can't cancel Migration Assistant, but you can power down the computer and run a fresh install from the restore disks. The installer takes about 20 minutes to run.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I had it running over wireless and it probably would have taken days. I stopped the migration process and hooked both computers to the wired network and ran it again. For some reason all my files transfered over, but none of my settings cam through. I ended up clean installing OSX and trying it again and it worked great!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Yeah, running it over wireless was probably a mistake. Apple should include some sort of network performance test before copying and/or just warn you when connected to a wireless network.

CrazyCleave

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
Command-Q to cancel Migration Assistant

I was able to stop the process by typing Command-Q on the new Mac and then doing the same on the old Mac.

Cececannavo

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
Migration in progress

I was able to stop the process by typing Command-Q on the new Mac and then doing the same on the old Mac.

Thanks for posting that! It helped me get out of a 40 hr transfer! What is confusing on first blush is during set up of the new computer the set up assistant asks if you would like to transfer information from another computer. I started the whole process unaware that it was connecting over wireless network.

I was able to stop the transfer using the cmd-Q. Powered down new computer, went all the way through the setup assistant. Connected the FireWire 400/800 cable and checked FireWire settings in Network to make sure they we're both active. Then SHUT OFF the wireless network. Then started migration assistant which will now take onlyl 2hrs and not 40! Sheesh. I think they make it purposefully tricky so you pay the extra $150 to have it done in the store. But, all is well that ends well and our new Mac RockS!

knlowery

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
CECECANNAVO Thanks

Thanks for posting that! It helped me get out of a 40 hr transfer! What is confusing on first blush is during set up of the new computer the set up assistant asks if you would like to transfer information from another computer. I started the whole process unaware that it was connecting over wireless network.

I was able to stop the transfer using the cmd-Q. Powered down new computer, went all the way through the setup assistant. Connected the FireWire 400/800 cable and checked FireWire settings in Network to make sure they we're both active. Then SHUT OFF the wireless network. Then started migration assistant which will now take onlyl 2hrs and not 40! Sheesh. I think they make it purposefully tricky so you pay the extra $150 to have it done in the store. But, all is well that ends well and our new Mac RockS!

This was a life saver. Migration went from 45 hours to 1.5 hours.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Using ethernet to migrate from 2011 imac to 2012 MBP ... Migration Assistant seemed to be going well, saying there was about 1 hour left to transfer, then kind of crapped out. The estimated time to completion is goign through the roof. Why would it mess up like that?

Also, they shoudl make it where the computers will not go to sleep during this process. I keep having to go in and move the mouse every 5 minutes or it times out. Any advice on how to do it better or fix it now?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Using ethernet to migrate from 2011 imac to 2012 MBP ... Migration Assistant seemed to be going well, saying there was about 1 hour left to transfer, then kind of crapped out. The estimated time to completion is goign through the roof. Why would it mess up like that?

Also, they shoudl make it where the computers will not go to sleep during this process. I keep having to go in and move the mouse every 5 minutes or it times out. Any advice on how to do it better or fix it now?

Copying small files takes more time.

To disable sleep, go into
System Preferences > Energy Saver
and adjust computer sleep time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.