Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I currently have a 2TB 3.5" and a 1TB 3.5" and I have them both in enclosures but I would like get rid of some clutter, so I would like to ask you all if there are any decently priced dual-bay enclosures with USB3 and Firewire 800 options. I say Firewire 800 because I doubt these massive drive can even use the full potential of USB3.

I also have a couple of 2.5" HDDs that dont have any home at all and have been bear for months. Any advise on a dual-bay enclosure with USB3 and Firewire 800 would be greatly appreciated aswell.

Thanks

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I currently have a 2TB 3.5" and a 1TB 3.5" and I have them both in enclosures but I would like get rid of some clutter, so I would like to ask you all if there are any decently priced dual-bay enclosures with USB3 and Firewire 800 options. I say Firewire 800 because I doubt these massive drive can even use the full potential of USB3.

I also have a couple of 2.5" HDDs that dont have any home at all and have been bear for months. Any advise on a dual-bay enclosure with USB3 and Firewire 800 would be greatly appreciated aswell.

Thanks

I use one of these to run 2 3.5inch drives as separate drives. I picked it up for the same reason, to reduced clutter.

And one of these to combine 2.5 inch drives. It won't see them as independent, but in RAID 0 makes a speedy little external. Its bus powered using FW800, so it also reduces clutter by not needing a power adapter.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Wow thank you for the response! I think I will go those routs, seeing as they have the sleek apple design and all.

You're welcome. I use a mini raid as a time macine backup for my imac. It tucks neatly out of the way under the screen on top of the computers foot.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Wow thank you for the response! I think I will go those routs, seeing as they have the sleek apple design and all.

I have this too and am happy with it. Be aware that it doesn't have USB3 as you requested - its USB is USB2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.