Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I never knew Chrome had performance issues. It ran and runs amazingly on my Galaxy Nexus. It wasn't until very recently that I discovered people having so much issues with it.

It's been updated as of yesterday, anyhow.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Chrome has always been my browser of choice on Android. Now that its been updated its by far better then anything else I've ever used on a mobile platform. I had issues on occasion on my Xoom but on my N10 its really nice, hasn't crashed yet....

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Apple will never even get close to Google at web services. Think of a cloud service (so called) that you can't access from web, that you can't access from non-Apple devices and that doesn't even have proper file management. What a joke!
Are you saying http://www.icloud.com doesn't exist? Files edited in OS X, for instance, show up immediately on icloud.com, iOS devices & other OS X machines linked to the same account. I'm syncing mail, contacts, calendars, to-do's, notes, tickets, photos, & music across multiple devices with iCloud. Changes are instantaneous across my devices. If I lose my device, I can log into iCloud and locate where it is. I can make it play a sound or erase it. I'm not finding this to be a joke.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I didn't said where I can find my iWork files, I have said where I can find my files
This isn't a web service deficiency by Apple, it's a design choice for simplicity, which can be considered the most suitable form of file management for smartphones/tablets. For instance, instead of backing up bookmarks, my bookmarks are automatically synced to iCloud & across all my OS X & iOS devices. If I add a bookmark on one device, it's immediately available on all other devices. In addition, I see tabs open on all other devices from any device (desktop, tablet & smartphone). I don't need to manage bookmark files. This is a smart use of web services.

If you want to store & manually manage all your files online, there's DropBox et al as well as "hacks" to mount a folder in iCloud & use it like a network drive.

Last edited:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to agree with that article (other then the twitter comment). There's been similar type of complaints in the past. The issue is (to me) is that apple is very good at designing personal products. The iPod, the MBP, the iMac, the iPhone, etc etc. Creating a product or service that is more social or group focused has largely been unsuccessful with apple.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Apple will never even get close to Google at web services. Think of a cloud service (so called) that you can't access from web, that you can't access from non-Apple devices and that doesn't even have proper file management. What a joke!

I can't trust Google. They'll release something really cool and useful, abandon it, and then remove it completely. Just like they did with chrome app Scratch pad, which I used to take notes for class when running Ubuntu. Good thing I switched back to Evernote after installing OS X. They did this with a handful of other projects too. I'm just waiting for them to axe google voice.

I agree however Apple needs to fix a few things with iCloud, like file management. They had a good service going with iWork.com, another service I relied on heavily for uploading documents for teachers to grade. It'd be nice if we could be able to share docs again.

In the meantime, I use Skydrive now to sync all my files. I love Skydrive, file management is great and features are way better than google drive (Outlook.com, Office, etc).

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This isn't a web service deficiency by Apple, it's a design choice for simplicity, which can be considered the most suitable form of file management for smartphones/tablets. For instance, instead of backing up bookmarks, my bookmarks are automatically synced to iCloud & across all my OS X & iOS devices. If I add a bookmark on one device, it's immediately available on all other devices. In addition, I see tabs open on all other devices from any device (desktop, tablet & smartphone). I don't need to manage bookmark files. This is a smart use of web services.

Why do you mix boormarks with files when they are totally different things? By the way, this is how bookmarks sync in Chrome.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

If you want to store & manually manage all your files online, there's DropBox et al as well as "hacks" to mount a folder in iCloud & use it like a network drive.
You have just described the behavior of Chrome.

The difference, however, is that I can all of that on my mac, iOS, or Nexus 4. Safari does not exist for Android. If it did I could make it my default browser should I so desire (not so when I use Chrome on iOS). Yet I can use Chrome on iOS. Hmmmm....

I think the person you responded to was talking about freely accessing files from anywhere. This can be done on free cloud services.

Speaking of accessing files... Where are videos stored in iCloud? Certainly not in PhotoStream. They are in iCloud backups if you are lucky enough to have enough room (or pay for more storage) and have waited long enough for a device backup. However, how can you access a video--just one video--that you want to see or retrieve from another device? You can't. You can only do a restore. I don't like that.

On Android photos and videos are backed up to a Google+ private folder. It's Google's answer to photo stream but in my opinion better since it includes videos. For me it is even better still since it excludes screenshots (hate that photostream backs up screenshots since I use them a lot and do not need them there). In fact Android places screenshots in their own album.

Michael

Last edited:

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Chrome for android does the same thing, i can also browse a website on my phone, get into bed and look at the same page i was looking at on my phone 2 clicks later because chrome syncs recent page views also.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I'll just make a blanket response to you guys as I got a similar response from three people: Bookmarks you need to backup are files and earlier I was talking about other types of files. I was comparing stock OOTB Android/iOS. With add on's all the stuff we're talking about can be done on either OS. I'm not working a lot with video, though. I think small videos you take with one iOS device are shared with photo stream. The cloud storage of videos with practically limitless store on Android sounds cool.

Btw I bought the original Asus Transformer Prime before they fixed the wifi issues (which is why I returned it) & thought this was otherwise a very cool tablet. As I recall I got webstorage from Asus + from Google. Now there's a new Tranformer with rubber behind the antenna to resolve the wifi range issue. I'm finding some interesting info about Android in this area of the forum but I am not into the whole rivalry between iOS & Android. I like my iPad & will probably get another Android device to play with too.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think small videos you take with one iOS device are shared with photo stream. The cloud storage of videos with practically limitless store on Android sounds cool.
No videos are uploaded to photostream at all, not even a 1-second video.

Michael

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I'll just make a blanket response to you guys as I got a similar response from three people: Bookmarks you need to backup are files and earlier I was talking about other types of files. I was comparing stock OOTB Android/iOS. With add on's all the stuff we're talking about can be done on either OS. I'm not working a lot with video, though. I think small videos you take with one iOS device are shared with photo stream. The cloud storage of videos with practically limitless store on Android sounds cool.

Still waiting those Office files in iCloud that are synchronized trough Skydrive or Google Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.