Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheekyb

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Apple replaced my imac with the noise 27" late 2012

hi there
i had this really annoying high frequency noise - many thanks to ithomas for his temporary fix - after speaking to Applecare they suggested a replacement and it arrived today - i have been using it for 4 hours and let me just say the only noise i can detect is my lil western digital hard drive next to the machine - the machine itself is super silent - there is not frequency noise what so ever - its almost like working on an IPAD - NOOOOO NOISE !!!!! - Im so glad I went this route - one thing I learnt as I was restoring the old machine to hand it back is that ithomas's FIX works EVEN after you erase the harddrive and put a new operating system which is just brilliant however upon doing a PR RESET after that the sound comes back on - so good luck everyone and ty all for your input on this matter especially ithomas - without his help i would have been truly lost so cheers

bigv3rd

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
thank you iThomas

I had the same exact problem everyone described, right out of the box. Some high-pitched coil-whining-like noise. At first I thought it was strictly because of the unfiltered or "dirty" AC from the wall outlet. I tried a few sockets without any luck.

Then I tried iThomas' solution and it worked!:) Although it's a great temporary solution, I'm wondering what I should do next, did the replacement unit work out for those of you who ordered a new one? I waited multiple weeks to get my hands this iMac and I don't feel having to part from it right now. :p

If you're wondering I have a brand new
late-2012 27" iMac
3.2 GHz i7
16 GB RAM
GTX 675 MX

derekv

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
same ol' same ol'

2014 now and after dancing on the edge of insanity with the whine I finally found the forum. How does one determine how widespread this is? I dropped over $400 a year ago for a new HD and video hard and a year later I am staring at a logic board replacement. Where are the lawyers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.