Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Google searches turn up conflicting info--will I, or will I not, be able to use Dropbox while in Taiwan? Anyone tried it in the past year?

Same question for Gmail...? Looks like I'm in the safe zone with Evernote (according to a support chat that just concluded).

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I'm sure dropbox works in taiwan. The country isn't behind the Great Firewall haha

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I'm sure dropbox works in taiwan. The country isn't behind the Great Firewall haha

Want to be really sure, since I've been in parts of China where internet speed was fine, but certain domains were blocked, including gmail.com.

Technically, Taiwan is part of the R.O.C., which is what has me curious. Anyone out there with firsthand knowledge that can confirm one way or the other? My Google searches are leaning more toward "blocked" than "not blocked" right now.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
My wife has been in Taiwan for the last two years and uses GMail as her primary email account. I live in America and we share a Dropbox account. Dropbox and GMail both work perfectly in Taiwan. I travel over there 2-4 times per year and personally have verified verified that they are both working. Taiwan does not block anything in my experience. Go without worries.

The only problems you might run into relate to watching US TV or movies in Taiwan. Usually the backend server from USA, Netflix, Hulu, etc. sees that your IP address is from Taiwan and refuses to show the content because they are not licensed to show it in Taiwan. You can get around that by using VPN to a computer in the US. Somethings might work with a US proxy server.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Want to be really sure, since I've been in parts of China where internet speed was fine, but certain domains were blocked, including gmail.com.

Technically, Taiwan is part of the R.O.C., which is what has me curious. Anyone out there with firsthand knowledge that can confirm one way or the other? My Google searches are leaning more toward "blocked" than "not blocked" right now.

Taiwan is its own sovereign nation, so China's policies regarding the internet has no impact on them.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
My wife has been in Taiwan for the last two years and uses GMail as her primary email account. I live in America and we share a Dropbox account. Dropbox and GMail both work perfectly in Taiwan. I travel over there 2-4 times per year and personally have verified verified that they are both working. Taiwan does not block anything in my experience. Go without worries.

Thank you, thank you, jahala--I'm breathing easy, having heard from someone with firsthand experience. :)

The only problems you might run into relate to watching US TV or movies in Taiwan. Usually the backend server from USA, Netflix, Hulu, etc. sees that your IP address is from Taiwan and refuses to show the content because they are not licensed to show it in Taiwan. You can get around that by using VPN to a computer in the US. Somethings might work with a US proxy server.

Odds are, I'll pre-load shows on the iPad, then connect it to the hotel room TV (composite cable). Given how slow hotel internet speeds can be, seems like the best bet, and is something I've done in US hotels for years. Of course, this hinges on TVs in both hotels having accessible composite ports....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.