Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
FYI--I bought my iPad 4 on Saturday, knowing they'd have a Black Friday sale but not caring to deal with the crowds to save like $40.

I was happy with the purchase and planning on leaving it at that.

However with time to kill today and an Apple store within walking distance, I went in there just to browse around just a half hour ago, well after the morning rush. An employee asked if I needed assistance, so I just thought I'd throw out there the idea of getting a price match for the black Friday price, without having to go through the hassle of returning my perfect iPad 4 and playing the Apple QC lottery on another one. I realized I could've returned mine and rebought since I'm within the 14 day window, but wasn't planning on it.

They said sure, and I got a $66 refund just like that, without having to fight any huge crowds this morning. So if you are within your 14 day window, it might not hurt to go get a chunk of cash back, I'm pretty sure they would be willing to do it rather than risk saying no and having you potentially return a device and cost Apple money by having to send it through the refurb process.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I was outside of the 14 day return window as I received my iPad 4 on November 2 and I called Apple customer service today and received a refund of the difference I bought the 32 gig and I received a refund of $51 so they are doing adjustments. It's for today only and just be nice about it

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yup, that's why it never hurts to ask and all the reason you gave for Apple giving you the refund is why you got it unless you go in coping an attitude then they or anyone else would say no.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah I mean technically if they wanted to they could still charge you a 10% restocking fee to dissuade you from returning and rebuying, so it's nice they were willing to do that for me.

mhilferty108

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Yup, just called them and got a $41 credit to my card. Should show up soon.

My girlfriend was not so lucky though.

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I bought two iPads on 11/5 at the brick and mortar. Took the receipts to a closer Apple store than the one of the original purchase to inquire about a price match for Black and Blue Friday, and they credited me back $88 today. Another great example of excellent Apple customer service.

To the OP - thanks for the heads up!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i was able to get $50 off and a free red smart case

Attachments

• free smart cover with iPad 4 order.jpg
    free smart cover with iPad 4 order.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 141

The Bossman

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Philly
Cha-Ching

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to the OP for posting. I called Apple last night and was told to call back today. I got customer service and they happily refunded me $61.00 on my credit card. I purchased my 64 gig iPad 4 on November 4th.

Great service from Apple as usual. Thanks again OP! :D

-Bossman

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I walked into an Apple Store and the employee that helped me out treated it as a return and rebuy. I got $51 off but apparently tax factored into it so I got a gift card worth $38.51 or something like that.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Glad I could help guys, helps take a little bit of the sting out of the price and makes you feel less bad about spending another 100 bucks on screen protectors and sleeves.:)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes, I was at the Apple Store to buy another iPhone and tossed the idea that I wished I waited a couple days; the guy pulled up every eligible Apple Store purchase I made in the last 30 days, returned it and rerang me up without even having looked at my merchandise. That was quite the savings.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
The nice thing about the way they did the return and rebuy is that they didn't literally return it to your bank account and resell it that way, all my bank saw was a $65 refund.

KiranB

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
Hey guys I'm in the UK and yesterday I called apple asking if they would refund me the £54 as I only got my ipad delivered on Thursday after waiting nearly three weeks, they said no!! ..even though I was having problems with a screen flickering issue since opening so I would have to take it into store..

Instead I was told to return it online and rebuy it either online or in store, I found it strange an apple employee telling me to do this but I just went in store and brought a new one and a few other accessories with the money I saved, as well as another engraved smart case online .. I guess the apple UK Team aren't as nice with the refunds :confused:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Money off and a case? How did you do that?

they screwed up my pre-order and it was delayed shipping out. for that they gave me $50 off.

then they screwed up again and it was delayed. i called up and said that i want to cancel my order since i will just buy it at the black friday pricing which is $61 off. they asked if there is anything they can do to keep the order. i said to increase my discount to $61 and a free smart case. they said they can't do more than $50 but they will throw in the smart case and a $45-off-$300 (or $15-off-$100 / $30-of-$200) coupon code for the future.

i said deal.

before all of that though, i had preemptively canceled my AppleCare+ in anticipation of canceling the entire order. the refund went through, $104 went back to my giftcard but they forgot to remove AppleCare+ from my serial number. so i also got AppleCare+ for free. i called up just to make sure and they said it can take 1 week to sometimes process on the serial number...except it's been 11 days at this point. that's how i came to the conclusion a glitch means i got it for free.

the funny thing is, i have changed my mind about the iPad 4 and will be flipping it on eBay to make a profit (since i got it for a $50 discount, free applecare, and a free case with a coupon code). subtracting out the eBay fee, the profit will be small but it will at least be something that i will put towards an iPad Mini, 64GB LTE-Verizon. i won't be needing AppleCare+ anymore since i just got an AMEX that gives me an extended warranty for the 2nd year w/ accidental as well. i do a lot of mountain biking and the Mini will allow me to take a tablet with me in my Camelbak and not even feel the extra weight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.