Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I tried to quote you - Mod - but I failed :(

anyways on to my post..

How would I go about requesting & suggesting a complete overhaul to how MacRumors handles issues in the "Marketplace" forum?

The current format appears to very unsafe and problematic.

MacRumors is self governing right? Therefore changes can be made by MacRumors especially when it would be in their best interest.

You can start a thread in this forum, Site and Forum Feedback. But remember, we don't share details of unresolved issues with anyone other than the two members directly involved, and that's not going to change.

I'd also suggest rereading the Marketplace rules before making a suggestion to change something there.

Now, unrelated to your question:

ADMIN NOTE: Recent posts that violate the rules concerning discussing specific moderation in public threads have been deleted. Please keep further discussion in this thread within the rules.

If you're involved in a specific situation, feel free to use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to start a discussion with us. We can be much more detailed in that context.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
But remember, we don't share details of unresolved issues with anyone other than the two members directly involved, and that's not going to change.

So MacRumors does provide a statement once their has been a resolution?

Is there any specific official polices MacRumors has in regards to Marketplace transaction that become problematic? Like - this is what MacRumors does when a transaction is reported by the buyer/seller...

I didnt catch anything that specific in Marketplace Rules (I skimmed it - I cant lie)

I think Marketplace community was so upset because they expect MacRumors to be highly involved in problematic threads and that doesn't appear to be the stance or philosophy that MacRumors takes. I am not commenting on which is correct - but seems to be a misunderstanding of expectations.

I think it would be helpful for MacRumors to add some more detail about how they will be involved in transaction disputes and how they will communicated to the community to provide safety or that they wont provide ant details. This should be a sticky thread in the Marketplace forum. IMHO (I not that humble)

Last edited by a moderator:

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
it seems like the mods are quick to defend themselves but slow to take actions.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
These are my thoughts, and not necessarily the view of MacRumors.

The Marketplace is an added benefit to the members of MacRumors. It is not the sole purpose. The rules are quite clear on the stance that should be taken in situations if either the buyer or seller do not complete their side of the Contract.

Apologies for the lengthy quote of the Marketplace rules below:

Feedback. MacRumors does not maintain its own feedback system. If you have feedback elsewhere, you can post a link to it (and mention the name you use at that site) as a way to convey your credentials to others. Site with feedback systems include eBay, HEATWARE, and Agora. Both parties to a completed or failed transaction may post in that thread to give credit to the other or to report problems. Members may not post feedback in other Marketplace threads. Feedback should be a statement of facts that you know first-hand. If the parties disagree, they should each state their point of view, then let other members draw their own conclusions.

Disclaimer. MacRumors does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.

Common sense. Use common sense and be straightforward in your dealmaking. Observe the spirit, not just the letter, of these rules. When in doubt about a rule, ask a moderator. Before entering into a transaction with another member, look at his or her previous Marketplace transactions, feedback from others they have dealt with (very important!), and their forum posting history. Make sure you have contact information outside of the Marketplace forum before sending money or goods to another member.

Rule violations. If you think a sale, buyer, seller, or other forum member is breaking Forum Rules or these Marketplace Rules, report it using the Report Bad Post feature. Don't police the sale yourself. If a member has a history of Marketplace problems or is involved in a disputed transaction, their other Marketplace activity may be frozen.

To me, MacRumors have acted in the correct manner by applying what amounts to providing a facilitating forum for transactions to take place. When problems are drawn to the moderators attention, they will be reviewed. However, sometimes this is not always a cut and dry decision.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
So MacRumors does provide a statement once their has been a resolution?

No. Members who participate in the thread are free to let others know when and if a resolution has been reached, and members can share any details they choose. (If a thread concerning a specific transaction has been closed and you'd like to post feedback, just report the first post in the thread to let us know, and the moderators will help you out). But as we've been explaining, the privacy policy that's in place means that we won't share details of specific moderation, and mediating in a sale is moderation.

I didnt catch anything that specific in Marketplace Rules (I skimmed it - I cant lie)

Instead of having us continuing to repeat ourselves, I suggest you read the rules. If anything is unclear after you've read them, we're happy to explain.

I think it would be helpful for MacRumors to add some more detail about how they will be involved in transaction disputes and how they will communicated to the community to provide safety or that they wont provide ant details. This should be a sticky thread in the Marketplace forum. IMHO (I not that humble)

We contact the two members involved in a dispute to encourage them to resolve the issue (which I believe has already been stated in this thread). And again, the disclaimer in the Marketplace Rules states:

MacRumors does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.

So when members read the rules, they know what they're getting into.

it seems like the mods are quick to defend themselves but slow to take actions.

It may seem like this to you, but that's because you're not given all the information. You may not like or agree with the privacy policy, but you agreed to it when you registered for membership.

New posts discussing specific moderation have been edited. I'll ask once again that members refrain from this. I'd like the thread to stay open.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.

You are implying you guys are not going to ban even scammers?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
You are implying you guys are not going to ban even scammers?

No, we're not implying anything about moderation.

And because there was yet another reference to specifics, despite two requests to stop, I'm closing this thread now.

General discussions about the Marketplace can have their own threads here in Site and Forum Feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.