Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Just got a new iphone 5 through T-Mobile and am having a rather weird issue...I can't text some people (no one in particular and very random, maybe every 8 people) and they can't text me cause my number comes up as a landline.

How can this be? I gave my new number to people and they tried to text me and then sent me messages on facebook and twitter asking if it was a real number cause it comes back as an error saying it's a landline.

I've called both Apple and T-Mobile and I get the same thing, each saying it's the others problem.

What are your thoughts?

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Do you have access to another phone that you can put the SIM into?

Yes, my fiance also has a T-MO iPhone 5. Same issue occurred. The message goes through on my end, but it never makes it. When they try and text me, they get the error landline.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Sounds like the problem is T-Mobile.

Easiest way to confirm is turn off the phone and have someone text you that was receiving the error.

If they still get the error with the phone off and out of the equation you have your answer.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Sounds like the problem is T-Mobile.

Easiest way to confirm is turn off the phone and have someone text you that was receiving the error.

If they still get the error with the phone off and out of the equation you have your answer.

Just did and still got the landline error.

I figured it had nothing to do with Apple, but T-Mo is saying it's not them it's the phone, which to me sounds like complete BS. What does the phone have to do with the number coming up as a land line?

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Are the effected people all on the same carrier?

I know that regular phone calls route using ENUM databases which essentially say how to route the call.

I'm unsure if SMSes work the same way though.

If they are all on the same carrier it may be worth having them contact their carrier so they can look into why they're receiving that error.

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Are the effected people all on the same carrier?

I know that regular phone calls route using ENUM databases which essentially say how to route the call.

I'm unsure if SMSes work the same way though.

If they are all on the same carrier it may be worth having them contact their carrier so they can look into why they're receiving that error.

No, not one of them is with T-Mobile so far. And it's only with people in different states so far. None of them have ever been local.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
No, not one of them is with T-Mobile so far. And it's only with people in different states so far. None of them have ever been local.

What I was asking is if the people receiving the error all share the same carrier between them.

For example all of them on Sprint, or some on Sprint and others on Virgin/Boost (Sprint MVNOs)

sosinsurr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
What I was asking is if the people receiving the error all share the same carrier between them.

For example all of them on Sprint, or some on Sprint and others on Virgin/Boost (Sprint MVNOs)

No, some are Verizon, Sprint, ATT, US Celluar to name a few that I asked so far.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Definitely TMobile's problem. Good luck getting them to do anything about it. Most horrible carrier I've ever dealt with

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.