Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
johndope83
macrumors newbie

OpenSHH, am I safe without it?

Ei guys! I've finally jailbroke my iphone a few days ago! Best decision I have ever made!!!! I never get why apple put so many limitations to their iDevices! SBSettings is a life saver! Best tweak/app ever!

Anyway, enough of my babbling. I've read around the net about phonehacking thru SHH because of not changing this default password (alpine??) on our iDevices. The paranoid that I am just want to ask if I don't install OpenSHH am I safe from this? Trying to google my way to find the answer but I can't get a straight one.

So am I safe if I don't install OpenSHH? I don't want to mess around with my iPhone that much... not that tech savvy! Hehehe!!!

Hope you can help me out! Thanks! KCCO!!!
johndope83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
labman
macrumors 604

The smart thing is to change the password or don't use it if your not going to change it. I would never keep alpine but at the end of the day what you do is up to you, it's your risk not mine. here is a tutorial http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5883
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3
johndope83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
The smart thing is to change the password or don't use it if your not going to change it. I would never keep alpine but at the end of the day what you do is up to you, it's your risk not mine. here is a tutorial http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5883
thanks for the link labman! So basically if i don't install it and use it I am safe right?
johndope83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndope83 View Post
thanks for the link labman! So basically if i don't install it and use it I am safe right?
You can safely install it, provided

1, you do change the root password AND

2, you use SBSettings to quickly disable it when you don't need it.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:42 PM   #5
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

change your password in mobileterminal or use ifile on the device itself or use
iexplorer on your computer for a wired connection
glsillygili is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:15 AM   #6
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
You can safely install it, provided

1, you do change the root password AND

2, you use SBSettings to quickly disable it when you don't need it.
You are not answering OP's question. Of cause there's way to safely install SSH but OP doesn't use it.

OP: You are safe as long as you don't install it. IF you were to install in then it's highly recommended to change the password.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks