Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachotis7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
I'm getting a powerbook with dual intel 2.16 processors. What's the best software for making hip-hop beats. I plan on using an external keyboard & bass, and turntables. The three I've heard are the best are: ProTools, Logic, & Reason. Any answers? Thanks!!!!!!!

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
ProTools and Reason would be my personal choice. I don't know why but I am not a big fan of Logic. Oh and I think you mean you are getting a MacBook Pro, correct?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
the best is the one that is easiest for you to work in. that said, i prefer Reason for composition and ProTools for recording, editing and mixing.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I work with the exact set up you said, MIDI keyboard, Turntables, Mixer ect...

For me, I love Ableton Live....simply because I found myself being inspired by the software itself, working "live" in the moment,

instead of pouring over manuals and tutorials for ProTools....Logic is great too though, I like hooking Live up to Logic Via Rewire, and getting the best of both worlds.

But Ableton is......

All you need.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
scottlinux said:
Reason 3. You can do a lot with Garageband, esp with the jam packs.
Garageband is truly underrated. I have Live Lite 5, as it came with M-Audio keyboard, but I can't get used to the interface. Cubase is actually surprising good at beats. The included LM-7 sampler is good quality.
Still, all in all, Reason is definitely the best.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
wmmk said:
Garageband is truly underrated. I have Live Lite 5, as it came with M-Audio keyboard, but I can't get used to the interface. Cubase is actually surprising good at beats. The included LM-7 sampler is good quality.
Still, all in all, Reason is definitely the best.

Reason is good, but just as long as the Original poster knows he can't record anything with it, (like his turntables) then by all means, go with Reason.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I use Reason on my PC to do audio...

You simply record the file with something like Audacity (you can play Reason along in the background if you want) and the put the file on in either a standard sampler (the two choices are the instruments NN19 or NNXT) or put it into a Redrum sampler (by far the easiest and much faster). It sounds quite scary if you don't know Reason, but all will be revealed if you get it. It's an awesome piece of software!

It can sound a bit 'thin' at times, but there are ways of making it phatter. PM me if you want to get more of a analogggyyy sound out of Reason....

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
zachotis7 said:
I'm getting a powerbook with dual intel 2.16 processors. What's the best software for making hip-hop beats. I plan on using an external keyboard & bass, and turntables. The three I've heard are the best are: ProTools, Logic, & Reason. Any answers? Thanks!!!!!!!

you should check out iDrum. It can be used as a plug-in with GarageBand or as a stand-alone app. Incredibly easy to use and also downright cheap. For the money it's WELL worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.