Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreekkrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Hello everyone--

I live in a college dorm, and someone else has an Apple TV. Since I've upgraded to Mountain Lion, I keep seeing the TV as an audio source for Airplay. This would be ok, except for the fact that Garageband keeps asking if I want to use it for the audio output. I have every setting I know of set to disable Airplay, but it keeps happening.

My question: is there a way to completely disable Airplay and/or block specific devices?

Thank you

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hello everyone--

I live in a college dorm, and someone else has an Apple TV. Since I've upgraded to Mountain Lion, I keep seeing the TV as an audio source for Airplay. This would be ok, except for the fact that Garageband keeps asking if I want to use it for the audio output. I have every setting I know of set to disable Airplay, but it keeps happening.

My question: is there a way to completely disable Airplay and/or block specific devices?

Thank you

well you click the airplay icon and make sure its off
if it is I'm not sure why its detecting ATVs on the network

kreekkrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
well you click the airplay icon and make sure its off
if it is I'm not sure why its detecting ATVs on the network

As far as I know, that only means that I'm not using airplay. It still gives me the option to use the TV, and the notifications pop up, even though mirroring is off. I'd like to just disable Airplay completely so it doesn't even look for devices, but I haven't found any options to do that.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
No other option unless you can somehow create or join another network. At least you can scare the hell out of them when they are using the Apple TV system by randomly playing music or air playing.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
As far as I know, that only means that I'm not using airplay. It still gives me the option to use the TV, and the notifications pop up, even though mirroring is off. I'd like to just disable Airplay completely so it doesn't even look for devices, but I haven't found any options to do that.

is this specific for garage band? ive never had one popup asking me to airplay to my ATV

kreekkrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
is this specific for garage band? ive never had one popup asking me to airplay to my ATV

The notifications are specific to Garageband, but I haven't found any options for directly turning them off. I figured it would be easier to get rid of Airplay altogether, since I never use it anyway.

At least you can scare the hell out of them when they are using the Apple TV system by randomly playing music or air playing.

I already tried rick-rolling him, but he has a password set up on the ATV. :(

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
This is happening on my desktop (specifically, my Mid-2011 iMac running Mountain Lion and Garageband '11). Thank you for the info though.

Oh, well I just checked Garageband on my mac and it gives an option to choose airplay under preferences audio section.

kreekkrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Oh, well I just checked Garageband on my mac and it gives an option to choose airplay under preferences audio section.

I found that preference too, but again, that only asks if I want to use Airplay. Even if I decline, it still looks for devices, and a notification pops up whenever it finds a new one (said pop-up is shown below). My goal is to avoid looking for devices, so the pop-up doesn't show up whenever someone turns on an ATV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 4.58.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 4.58.32 PM.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,208

agumby

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I have the exact same problem. As I move around my college campus and local coffee shops, new devices are detected all the time. It affect both Garage Band and also Hindenberg (another audio mixing program), and even interrupts the audio while I'm recording things.

dice k

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
I found that preference too, but again, that only asks if I want to use Airplay. Even if I decline, it still looks for devices, and a notification pops up whenever it finds a new one (said pop-up is shown below). My goal is to avoid looking for devices, so the pop-up doesn't show up whenever someone turns on an ATV.
I am having the same problem. But I found this for trying to block airplay to connect. . . It seems to not be bothering me any more with garage band.

Firewall security settings

If you use the firewall, make sure the following firewall security options have been set to allow AirPlay Mirroring to work:

Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences.
Click Security & Privacy, and then click Firewall.
Click the lock icon to unlock it if it's locked, then type an administrator name and password.
Click Firewall Options.
Select “Block all incoming connections” checkbox.

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
I am having the same problem. But I found this for trying to block airplay to connect. . . It seems to not be bothering me any more with garage band.

Firewall security settings

If you use the firewall, make sure the following firewall security options have been set to allow AirPlay Mirroring to work:

Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences.
Click Security & Privacy, and then click Firewall.
Click the lock icon to unlock it if it's locked, then type an administrator name and password.
Click Firewall Options.
Select “Block all incoming connections” checkbox.

Or, if you use multiple sharing services and you don't want to disable all of them, once in the Firewall options, you could just scroll down the list to GarageBand and only "Block incoming connections" for it.

DjSpeedDemon

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2017
Hello everyone--

Thank you
Go to display preferences and turn off AirPlay then go to Audio preferences and choose your prefered audio output. See Pics

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 1.06.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 1.06.43 PM.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,358
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 1.06.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 1.06.57 PM.png
    50 KB · Views: 1,807
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.