Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VortexMK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I bought 1 TB WD My Passport external Hard Drive on which I've copied all files I need form my PC. I'll copy those files to iMac when it arrives (for two weeks) and after that, this external hdd will serve me as a back up disk (but also for file exchange with other PCs and iMacs). External HDD is now formatted in NTFS and I know Mac OS X can read, but can't write on NTFS disks. Which software to use for this purpose?

"Paragon NTFS for Mac" or "Tuxera NTFS for Mac"?
Links:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

Is this software safe for system? Do they cause system instability?

Thanks!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Tuxera.....

I dont know about it, but Paragon NTFS I know and use it when the ocasional Windows drive comes to me. No problems in the machine when this is installed.....:eek: Only thing is to check compatibility with your current OS/hardware. In the time I bought it, one can download a demo/trial. Maybe doing it is worth, I think....

:):apple:

VortexMK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Currently there is a version 10 of "Paragon NTFS fo Mac" and version 2012.3.4 of "Tuxera NTFS for Mac" and both support Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

pws442

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Any luck uninstalling

I saw a post that said it (the free tool) was hard to uninstall. Any help with this?

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Formatting the drive as ExFAT is a good alternative. With the right updates even WinXP supports ExFAT.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I have used both. Paragon is somewhat faster and Tuxera also shows more odd bugs. Go for Paragon even if it costs a little more.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
If this is a HDD it's better to use NTFS. SSDs should use ExFat or... any version of fat.

likwidsolutions

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Ohio
Seagate drives that are Mac compatible allow you to get Paragon for free. I think it only works with Seagate drives but here is the link, I didn't have to sign in or anything, so give it a shot with another brand and see if it works...

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

It says on the right side it gives a list of Seagate drives it's compatible with, but it can't hurt to try this driver. All it seems to do is ad ExFat, NTFS, Windows NT Filesystem (NTFS) and Windows NT Filesystem NTFS (Compressed) to the options in Disk Utility for Erasing/Partitioning. I don't see why it wouldn't work with other drives.

It shows up in Disk Utility just like Tuxera.

Reactions: thegonz

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
Seagate drives that are Mac compatible allow you to get Paragon for free. I think it only works with Seagate drives but here is the link, I didn't have to sign in or anything, so give it a shot with another brand and see if it works...

It says on the right side it gives a list of Seagate drives it's compatible with, but it can't hurt to try this driver. All it seems to do is ad ExFat, NTFS, Windows NT Filesystem (NTFS) and Windows NT Filesystem NTFS (Compressed) to the options in Disk Utility for Erasing/Partitioning. I don't see why it wouldn't work with other drives.

Hey, thanks for saving me $20!

And it just works... :)

It makes the point, btw, that it will only work with Seagate drives (I have a 1 TB Seagate Backup Plus), but I have no other NTFS formatted volume to test it with....

UPDATE: I do have a Flash drive formatted in NTFS, and even with the free Seagate Paragon install, it's still Read Only. So it does indeed appear to be limited to Seagate drives.

Last edited:

Philip Stancil

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
I can second what bigpics said. I've tried using Seagate's free version of Paragon for a non-Seagate drive and it does not work.

Last edited:

thegonz

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015

It shows up in Disk Utility just like Tuxera.

Just had to chime in and say the Seagate driver worked perfectly on my Mac OS X using my 5TB seagate hard drive. Thanks! Saved me $20 so I had to come back, register, and say thank you!!

muctau191

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
There is a specific comparison table between this two NTFS drivers here.
  • Tuxera NTFS 2015 is actually developed from NTFS-3G, an open-source, which is contributed by hundreds of Linux distributions. It is still associated with very common "Tuxera NTFS could not mount" error. It should not be called a professional NTFS software, while it costs $31 like steal.
  • Paragon NTFS 14 is developed by Paragon, a very well-known company creating powerful softwares in Hard Drivers Integration field. It supports all NTFS versions and works stably. The cost before discount for a single license is $19. I am not sure the promotion is not expired yet, but Paragon offers 25% OFF discount page here.

Last edited:

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
@muxtau191 That site is written by a scumbag who sells Paragon software via his cash referral link. Gee I "wonder" why Paragon won? He has about 5 or 10 other website domains with the same reviews and the same "Don't buy Tuxera. Buy Paragon! It is better... [with my referral code so I earn money when you buy it via me]".

**** that guy. If Tuxera had also been sleazy enough to run an affiliate-link pyramid scheme (like Paragon sleazily does; "make money with the Paragon affiliate program, the more you sell each month the higher commission you earn for that month!"), then that douchebag would definitely be marketing Tuxera too. But he can only earn money by marketing Paragon. He loses money if people buy Tuxera instead. And he makes more money (up to 50% of each sale for that month) if he succeeds in tricking enough fools into buying Paragon licenses via him every month so that he reaches the higher "sales commission levels" for that month. So he has registered loads of domains and posted totally fake, very negative Tuxera reviews full of lies and slander, telling everyone to buy Paragon instead ("helpfully" via his affiliate-cash link). Sigh. Sleazy scumbags (Paragon) will always be scumbags and attract other scumbags (that fake-reviewing, affiliate-spamming website guy) to each other.

[doublepost=1481312051][/doublepost]I think it's time for an unbiased, technical review for a change:

Paragon:

• Their NTFS driver is pretty stable now, but it has taken a long time to get there with lots of very buggy versions in the past.
  • Their ExtFS driver is still very buggy and corrupts the Linux filesystem frequently.
  • Each license is tied to 1 computer. That's all. Nothing more allowed. You cannot use it on multiple computers. They use a sleazy, hardware-locked activation check with online DRM activation.
  • Every year they release a new "major" version, but all they ever add is support for the new Apple macOS version. And they still charge their users a full upgrade cost every year as if that was a "major" upgrade.
  • They now offer a "UFSD Value Pack" for $49.99 which has their 4 drivers (NTFS and ExtFS for Mac, HFS+ and ExtFS for Windows) along with lifetime free upgrades, plus their free and incredibly terrible and risky NTFS-HFS converter (which insanely converts the filesystem format live without doing any backups, so if your computer crashes while it isn't finished converting, then you're stuck with a disk that's half-NTFS, half-Mac, and can say bye bye to your data!). I guess they realized nobody was buying their expensive, buggy garbage with sleazy yearly upgrade fees anymore, so they bundled it all into one giant sh|t-pile to try to sell it one last time. They even frequently have sales on the value pack, for about $38... Geeze, they're really trying hard to milk this sick cow!
  • Completely closed-source, and therefore nobody else can look at/find/fix their huge pile of bugs in their filesystem code. And you want to trust that buggy "black box" with your important FILESYSTEM data!? No thanks!
  • Paragon as a company are sleazy scumbags. They constantly shove disgusting "promotions", coupons and spam-like email offers into your throats, and they recruit disgusting affiliates via their pyramid scheme, which is why the web is full of fake reviews trying to trick fools into buying Paragon via their affiliate cash links.
  • They force you to install disgusting "extras" like "Paragon Software Facebook Agent" on your computer. Does that sound like something you'd want your NTFS driver to install?
  • After they've taken your money, they do not answer any difficult support questions with any kind of competency. Customers attest that they just ignore you if there are issues beyond their comprehension. Literally: When it gets too difficult for them, they will run away.

Tuxera: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
  • The authors of NTFS-3G. The community-based, open-source NTFS driver that powers the NTFS readers/writers in countless Android smartphones and other portable devices with card/USB readers. It also powers NTFS support on desktop Linux. With that MASSIVE project as their backbone, you can TRUST that ANY bugs in their NTFS code have a lot of eyes on them and are found by tons of worldwide developers and then fixed quickly!
  • In case I am not being clear enough: Massive, community-developed, open-source software like NTFS-3G leads to a product that's extremely well-tested and stable, and that's one of many reasons why Tuxera is a METRIC ****TON HIGHER-QUALITY than Paragon. With Tuxera you will get MORE STABILITY and LESS RISK of data corruption. Because a LOT of Linux nerds rely on NTFS-3G for their daily lives, and any bugs are quickly found and fixed. That's unlike Paragon's terrible, buggy, closed-source "black hole" mystery driver. Most software is better as closed-source (since it gives financial incentive to perfect the software). But something as life-critical as a file-system driver to store all of your precious DATA is NEVER good as closed-source! A filesystem NEEDS to be open and needs to have a lot of developers looking at it to ensure it is safe and stable. THAT reason alone is a great reason to FOREVER AVOID PARAGON like the plague!
  • For 8 years, Tuxera released NTFS-3G for free before going commercial as Tuxera. It's still the exact same company. They were not "bought out". It's the same people, and they just renamed the company.
  • They are the ones who forced Paragon to lower their prices. Before that, Paragon NTFS cost $100. Now Paragon was forced to lower to $19.95 (but that's per-computer, and then you still need to pay its upgrade-costs for every computer every year, haha).
  • Tuxera NTFS for Mac is only 25 EUR ($31) as a life-time license for 1 person on as many computers as you own (unlimited)! That means free upgrades on as many computers as you want! Forever! There is no sleazy "upgrade" scheme every year. There is no sleazy "1 computer" online-DRM activation scheme. There's just total freedom to enjoy super-high quality NTFS read/write support on Mac for the rest of your life! And yes, these guys will remain in business for the rest of your life. They're a massive company and are the market leaders in embedded filesystem drivers for things like Android. Tuxera will definitely be around in the future. (As for Paragon? I am not so sure about them existing even as little as 10 years from now. They're a sinking ship. Their products stink, and well-informed customers aren't buying Paragon's garbage anymore.)
  • These Tuxera guys are massive nerds and extremely competent and understand your support queries if you ever have any.
  • They began the NTFS-3G project, and then went commercial with all of their filesystem expertise. If they hadn't gone commercial, NTFS-3G would have died due to lacking funding. Now, thanks to being a commercial company, they still develop and release the free NTFS-3G driver (for those who don't want the best performance). It is still the core of their own driver, and all of the free components are freely available, with full source code and community developer involvement.
  • Tuxera has now grown to having offices in 4 or 5 locations around the world, and have branched out to supporting tons of other filesystems. Their code is extremely reliable and high-performance.
  • Tuxera NTFS is based on NTFS-3G, but with lots of their own proprietary performance and quality enhancements, and a very beautiful GUI, ease of use and a powerful built-in disk manager for checking/repairing NTFS disk errors via Mac (going to Windows to do "chkdsk /F" is no longer needed).
  • In 2015 they released "Tuxera Disk Manager" which lets you format, check and repair your NTFS disks directly from macOS. Excellent!
  • They have great macOS integration. Auto-mounting of disks. Great System Preferences integration. Etc.
  • I know people who use Tuxera exclusively and write tons of Virtual Machine backups and other things daily, and it works perfectly and never corrupts any data.
  • There are NO LIMITS to the maximum number of files, folders, file sizes or partition sizes. You can go as big as you want via the Tuxera NTFS driver! You can go America-sized! Any other claims are just total lies by people trying to market Paragon via their affiliate links.
  • There are no data corruption issues. To corrupt a disk, you would have to personally do something really stupid like unplugging the disk in the middle of a write, or unplugging your computer's power cable while it's writing. And if that happens, you can always rescue yourself from your own stupidity by running "Tuxera Disk Manager" to do an NTFS repair. All from within macOS. Safe, easy and convenient!
  • Stores macOS file metadata in NTFS "Extended Attributes" metadata fields, meaning that your NTFS drives won't become littered by "._[name]" AppleDouble files.
  • Read/write performance is extremely high. Even SSD speeds are supported. Supports extremely fast write speeds. As an example, this is the benchmark of their NTFS driver for MOBILE (cellphone) CPUs, getting ~200 MB/s writes ON A CELLPHONE: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-embedded/. Now imagine what their desktop CPU driver for Mac can do! ;-)
  • But don't trust my word for it. Here's something better than any user's review: Every second, 3 devices powered by Tuxera drivers are shipped out from factories worldwide. In other words, every month, about 7.9 MILLION devices are shipped out, containing Tuxera drivers. Can you say "Eat our dusty farts, Paragon"!? ;-)

Lastly, the free alternative to both, would be to use: OSXFuse + NTFS-3G

• Only recommended for total nerds with very low requirements. To install it requires lots of command line work: Installing osxfuse via a package, then installing the homebrew package manager, then installing the ntfs-3g package, then disabling Apple's system integrity protection, then re-linking Apple's "mount_ntfs" to the ntfs-3g version so that NTFS is mounted read-write from then on... And you will never have any nice GUI or utilities. And it messes up your Startup Disk panel so that your BootCamp volume never shows up anymore. And this driver offers very bad performance. So yeah, if all of that sounds like a good day to you, then have fun!
  • Very low write-performance because of the way it writes to the hard disk device (https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/NTFS-3G#1-why-is-ntfs-3gs-write-performance-so-poor). On OSX, there is no caching of the writes in osxfuse+ntfs-3g mode, so you will have very, veeery slow writes. If that sounds okay to you, then it's acceptable for occasional use. But definitely not as a daily-use driver if you need NTFS a lot!
  • The NTFS-3G driver had experimental (buggy) write-caching half a decade ago (UBLIO caching) for much higher write performance, but that was just an early prototype of the code and it's not available in the newer NTFS-3G versions! To fund development, they put the finished, STABLE version of write-caching support into the Tuxera commercial product instead (along with many other massive speed enhancements). Therefore, high read/write performance is exclusively available in Tuxera NTFS!
  • Here's a very old benchmark (from December 4th, 2009) which compared the then-brand-new Tuxera against the NTFS-3G for Mac driver, to answer questions by people who wanted to know the difference: http://www.tuxera.com/mac/tuxera_ntfs_vs_ntfs-3g.pdf. The speed difference is even bigger today. And as you can see, even if you had the risky, buggy caching-prototype code enabled in NTFS-3G (and that's an optimization that's no longer available in NTFS-3G today), then it was still much slower than the oldest version of Tuxera. Imagine Tuxera's speed advantage today, after over half a decade of advancements and optimizations!

Conclusion, in one word:
Tuxera.

'nuff said.

Last edited:

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
But whats wrong with ExtFS? SteveJobzniak, can you explain your issues?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33374/extfs

Total User Review Score: 1 star of 5

Typical Reviews:

bart-4 said:
I would nobody advise extfs for mac! I have serious critical errors on my ext4 disk. Everytime I use extfs I have tot repair the extfs partition. Sometimes it is so bad that I can't even boot linux. In this case I have to boot a live distro to repair the ext4 disk.
This software is of great risk!
I have bought a license and now I'm very disappointed.

mikerjohnson said:
Agreed. I'm using 9.8.620 and just submitted a support request to Paragon. Ext4 volume corrupted 4 times in one month.

dyxlesic said:
Worked initially, so pulled the trigger and purchased it.

About 2 weeks later, it didn't work anymore.

Contacted Paragon Support. For every query, a canned response follows saying that they apologise for not being able to respond in a timely manner.

Then sporadic responses come, then no response at all. I have been waiting 23 days for them to look at the log files and respond!

No resolution to non-working paid-for software in sight. Sigh. Nuf sed.

Michael-Vilain said:
I bought the exFS extension and it worked on 10.8. Then I upgraded to 10.11 and it stopped working. Indeed, it crashed the system until I ripped it out. I tried upgrading their NTFS product and i couldn't get their web site to approve my license. They never responded to emails for help. So I did a chargeback on my credit card and got my money back. I won't use any of their products.

alextc said:
v10 slows down ElCapitan Finder as well.... are you doing ANYTHING to fix this!?

Lowry76 said:
Bough it to keep my Lunix external HDD without having to re-format it for my Mac (MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz i7, OSX 10.10.3). I experience constant kernel panics, sudden reboots, disk has to be checked/repaired with DiskUtils everytime you restart the computer and in the rare cases where it doesn't crash it's very very slow. DON'T BUY IT, RE-FORMAT YOUR DRIVE!

pfajer said:
This product does not work. Consistent kernel panics causing computer to reboot. Corruption of file system (was able to repair using fsck on Linux box). Company does not answer e-mails (3).

Ongl said:
I just tried the EXTFS and just within first hour, it rendered my ext4 HDD unreadable.

I'm on Maverick and latest extfs. I had 4TB HDD with data copied from Synology NAS, I connected the HDD directly with my MBA and it run very slow. After a few minutes, I get a kernel panic that required me to restart my Mac (White screen).

After a reboot, the HDD no longer mountable, Disk can't be repaired either.

But wait, there's more!

Here's http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/210198/mount-ext4-on-el-capitan - with equally "great" user experiences:

Schnorch said:
Don't use Paragon ExtFS for OSX with El Capitan.The port is very experimental despite the fact that Paragon claims support for El Capitan.

I've damaged two times a 1.5TB ext4 filesystem beyond irreparable limits, using two independent installations of EL Capitan (10.11.3) on a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. fsck -y /dev/sda(x) on an linux box after file transfer completed is claiming hundreds of thousands multiply-claimed blocks with several files and directories - filesytem gone!

ExtFs is also not implemented in DiskUtilty in Ela Capitan so you can't check the integrity of your filesystem nor format in ext2/3/4...

Tom said:
EDIT: Warning: Having experienced some of the same issues described in Schnorch's answer, I can no longer recommend this program! Original answer left below for posterity...
---
A commercial ($20) option is Paragon ExtFS for OS X, which supports read/write mounting of ext2/3/4. I'm using it now in El Capitan.

It has a few annoyances, such as seemingly not paying attention to mount options specified in fstab... But generally seems to do the job fine.

So yeah... Paragon software... having the plague would be more pleasant.

I think you will have more success by installing fuse-ext2. It's a free, open source ext2/3/4 read-write driver for Mac. But I don't have time to write instructions. There's a year-old guide here: http://tips.jay.cat/ext4-support-in-osx-yosemite/ but it may not be up to date, so Google around for Sierra fuse-ext2 + ext4fuse instructions! :) Good luck.

Reactions: TonyK and AleRod

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I bought Paragon yesterday, and forgot to uninstall Tuxera trial before installing the Paragon. Could 2ntfs drivers simultaneously possibly cause any problems to the system? I uninstalled Tuxera afterwards...seems that everything is/was fine, but still worried a bit...

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
@Susurs Only one driver would get picked to handle the disk when the disk is attached, so it should be okay. Just uninstall the other driver now.

rotoyouoio

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
@muxtau191 That site is written by a scumbag who sells Paragon software via his cash referral link. Gee I "wonder" why Paragon won? He has about 5 or 10 other website domains with the same reviews and the same "Don't buy Tuxera. Buy Paragon! It is better... [with my referral code so I earn money when you buy it via me]".

**** that guy. If Tuxera had also been sleazy enough to run an affiliate-link pyramid scheme (like Paragon sleazily does; "make money with the Paragon affiliate program, the more you sell each month the higher commission you earn for that month!"), then that douchebag would definitely be marketing Tuxera too. But he can only earn money by marketing Paragon. He loses money if people buy Tuxera instead. And he makes more money (up to 50% of each sale for that month) if he succeeds in tricking enough fools into buying Paragon licenses via him every month so that he reaches the higher "sales commission levels" for that month. So he has registered loads of domains and posted totally fake, very negative Tuxera reviews full of lies and slander, telling everyone to buy Paragon instead ("helpfully" via his affiliate-cash link). Sigh. Sleazy scumbags (Paragon) will always be scumbags and attract other scumbags (that fake-reviewing, affiliate-spamming website guy) to each other.

[doublepost=1481312051][/doublepost]I think it's time for an unbiased, technical review for a change:

Paragon:

• Their NTFS driver is pretty stable now, but it has taken a long time to get there with lots of very buggy versions in the past.
  • Their ExtFS driver is still very buggy and corrupts the Linux filesystem frequently.
  • Each license is tied to 1 computer. That's all. Nothing more allowed. You cannot use it on multiple computers. They use a sleazy, hardware-locked activation check with online DRM activation.
  • Every year they release a new "major" version, but all they ever add is support for the new Apple macOS version. And they still charge their users a full upgrade cost every year as if that was a "major" upgrade.
  • They now offer a "UFSD Value Pack" for $49.99 which has their 4 drivers (NTFS and ExtFS for Mac, HFS+ and ExtFS for Windows) along with lifetime free upgrades, plus their free and incredibly terrible and risky NTFS-HFS converter (which insanely converts the filesystem format live without doing any backups, so if your computer crashes while it isn't finished converting, then you're stuck with a disk that's half-NTFS, half-Mac, and can say bye bye to your data!). I guess they realized nobody was buying their expensive, buggy garbage with sleazy yearly upgrade fees anymore, so they bundled it all into one giant sh|t-pile to try to sell it one last time. They even frequently have sales on the value pack, for about $38... Geeze, they're really trying hard to milk this sick cow!
  • Completely closed-source, and therefore nobody else can look at/find/fix their huge pile of bugs in their filesystem code. And you want to trust that buggy "black box" with your important FILESYSTEM data!? No thanks!
  • Paragon as a company are sleazy scumbags. They constantly shove disgusting "promotions", coupons and spam-like email offers into your throats, and they recruit disgusting affiliates via their pyramid scheme, which is why the web is full of fake reviews trying to trick fools into buying Paragon via their affiliate cash links.
  • They force you to install disgusting "extras" like "Paragon Software Facebook Agent" on your computer. Does that sound like something you'd want your NTFS driver to install?
  • After they've taken your money, they do not answer any difficult support questions with any kind of competency. Customers attest that they just ignore you if there are issues beyond their comprehension. Literally: When it gets too difficult for them, they will run away.

Tuxera: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
  • The authors of NTFS-3G. The community-based, open-source NTFS driver that powers the NTFS readers/writers in countless Android smartphones and other portable devices with card/USB readers. It also powers NTFS support on desktop Linux. With that MASSIVE project as their backbone, you can TRUST that ANY bugs in their NTFS code have a lot of eyes on them and are found by tons of worldwide developers and then fixed quickly!
  • In case I am not being clear enough: Massive, community-developed, open-source software like NTFS-3G leads to a product that's extremely well-tested and stable, and that's one of many reasons why Tuxera is a METRIC ****TON HIGHER-QUALITY than Paragon. With Tuxera you will get MORE STABILITY and LESS RISK of data corruption. Because a LOT of Linux nerds rely on NTFS-3G for their daily lives, and any bugs are quickly found and fixed. That's unlike Paragon's terrible, buggy, closed-source "black hole" mystery driver. Most software is better as closed-source (since it gives financial incentive to perfect the software). But something as life-critical as a file-system driver to store all of your precious DATA is NEVER good as closed-source! A filesystem NEEDS to be open and needs to have a lot of developers looking at it to ensure it is safe and stable. THAT reason alone is a great reason to FOREVER AVOID PARAGON like the plague!
  • For 8 years, Tuxera released NTFS-3G for free before going commercial as Tuxera. It's still the exact same company. They were not "bought out". It's the same people, and they just renamed the company.
  • They are the ones who forced Paragon to lower their prices. Before that, Paragon NTFS cost $100. Now Paragon was forced to lower to $19.95 (but that's per-computer, and then you still need to pay its upgrade-costs for every computer every year, haha).
  • Tuxera NTFS for Mac is only 25 EUR ($31) as a life-time license for 1 person on as many computers as you own (unlimited)! That means free upgrades on as many computers as you want! Forever! There is no sleazy "upgrade" scheme every year. There is no sleazy "1 computer" online-DRM activation scheme. There's just total freedom to enjoy super-high quality NTFS read/write support on Mac for the rest of your life! And yes, these guys will remain in business for the rest of your life. They're a massive company and are the market leaders in embedded filesystem drivers for things like Android. Tuxera will definitely be around in the future. (As for Paragon? I am not so sure about them existing even as little as 10 years from now. They're a sinking ship. Their products stink, and well-informed customers aren't buying Paragon's garbage anymore.)
  • These Tuxera guys are massive nerds and extremely competent and understand your support queries if you ever have any.
  • They began the NTFS-3G project, and then went commercial with all of their filesystem expertise. If they hadn't gone commercial, NTFS-3G would have died due to lacking funding. Now, thanks to being a commercial company, they still develop and release the free NTFS-3G driver (for those who don't want the best performance). It is still the core of their own driver, and all of the free components are freely available, with full source code and community developer involvement.
  • Tuxera has now grown to having offices in 4 or 5 locations around the world, and have branched out to supporting tons of other filesystems. Their code is extremely reliable and high-performance.
  • Tuxera NTFS is based on NTFS-3G, but with lots of their own proprietary performance and quality enhancements, and a very beautiful GUI, ease of use and a powerful built-in disk manager for checking/repairing NTFS disk errors via Mac (going to Windows to do "chkdsk /F" is no longer needed).
  • In 2015 they released "Tuxera Disk Manager" which lets you format, check and repair your NTFS disks directly from macOS. Excellent!
  • They have great macOS integration. Auto-mounting of disks. Great System Preferences integration. Etc.
  • I know people who use Tuxera exclusively and write tons of Virtual Machine backups and other things daily, and it works perfectly and never corrupts any data.
  • There are NO LIMITS to the maximum number of files, folders, file sizes or partition sizes. You can go as big as you want via the Tuxera NTFS driver! You can go America-sized! Any other claims are just total lies by people trying to market Paragon via their affiliate links.
  • There are no data corruption issues. To corrupt a disk, you would have to personally do something really stupid like unplugging the disk in the middle of a write, or unplugging your computer's power cable while it's writing. And if that happens, you can always rescue yourself from your own stupidity by running "Tuxera Disk Manager" to do an NTFS repair. All from within macOS. Safe, easy and convenient!
  • Stores macOS file metadata in NTFS "Extended Attributes" metadata fields, meaning that your NTFS drives won't become littered by "._[name]" AppleDouble files.
  • Read/write performance is extremely high. Even SSD speeds are supported. Supports extremely fast write speeds. As an example, this is the benchmark of their NTFS driver for MOBILE (cellphone) CPUs, getting ~200 MB/s writes ON A CELLPHONE: http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-embedded/. Now imagine what their desktop CPU driver for Mac can do! ;-)
  • But don't trust my word for it. Here's something better than any user's review: Every second, 3 devices powered by Tuxera drivers are shipped out from factories worldwide. In other words, every month, about 7.9 MILLION devices are shipped out, containing Tuxera drivers. Can you say "Eat our dusty farts, Paragon"!? ;-)

Lastly, the free alternative to both, would be to use: OSXFuse + NTFS-3G

• Only recommended for total nerds with very low requirements. To install it requires lots of command line work: Installing osxfuse via a package, then installing the homebrew package manager, then installing the ntfs-3g package, then disabling Apple's system integrity protection, then re-linking Apple's "mount_ntfs" to the ntfs-3g version so that NTFS is mounted read-write from then on... And you will never have any nice GUI or utilities. And it messes up your Startup Disk panel so that your BootCamp volume never shows up anymore. And this driver offers very bad performance. So yeah, if all of that sounds like a good day to you, then have fun!
  • Very low write-performance because of the way it writes to the hard disk device (https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/NTFS-3G#1-why-is-ntfs-3gs-write-performance-so-poor). On OSX, there is no caching of the writes in osxfuse+ntfs-3g mode, so you will have very, veeery slow writes. If that sounds okay to you, then it's acceptable for occasional use. But definitely not as a daily-use driver if you need NTFS a lot!
  • The NTFS-3G driver had experimental (buggy) write-caching half a decade ago (UBLIO caching) for much higher write performance, but that was just an early prototype of the code and it's not available in the newer NTFS-3G versions! To fund development, they put the finished, STABLE version of write-caching support into the Tuxera commercial product instead (along with many other massive speed enhancements). Therefore, high read/write performance is exclusively available in Tuxera NTFS!
  • Here's a very old benchmark (from December 4th, 2009) which compared the then-brand-new Tuxera against the NTFS-3G for Mac driver, to answer questions by people who wanted to know the difference: http://www.tuxera.com/mac/tuxera_ntfs_vs_ntfs-3g.pdf. The speed difference is even bigger today. And as you can see, even if you had the risky, buggy caching-prototype code enabled in NTFS-3G (and that's an optimization that's no longer available in NTFS-3G today), then it was still much slower than the oldest version of Tuxera. Imagine Tuxera's speed advantage today, after over half a decade of advancements and optimizations!

Conclusion, in one word:
Tuxera.

'nuff said.
unbiased, technical review he says
lol, wtf. frequent use of words like "sleezy", "scumbag" etc doesn't add one ****ing bit of technical information. that's an extremely biased review of marketing strategies and closed source vs open source ancient obvious statements.

that's a cryout of a fanboy, not a review. there's absolutely no technical information about how the two subjects handle filesystems, cause the fanboy doesn't know any/have any/understand any.

a technical review would TEST the various speed scenarios, error handling/generation, fixing filesystems, rights/ownership management/preserving, specifications following. you know, TECHNICAL stuff.

and i'm not promoting anything, just stumbled upon this bs post looking for an adequate review. i have no idea what is actually better

Last edited:

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
Paragon is a sinking ship shoveling out sleazy pyramid scheme software which has had tons of bugs over the years as a result of being a closed-source reimplementation of NTFS. Yes, I will take the entire Linux community's open-source NTFS-3G (Tuxera) driver over Paragon every day. And yes that is a technical review. If you knew what Open Source is, and knew the size of the Linux community working together on the NTFS-3G driver and perfecting it to ensure they never corrupt any data, then you would understand. Tuxera is the commercially packaged version of the rock-solid NTFS-3G driver.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.