Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
How do you open LastSession.plist? Whenever I double click on it my Mac asks me to install Xcode?

Double-click is unlikely to work, unless you previously have used some text editor to view a .plist.
You should be able to open that .plist with your favorite text editor.
One choice is to drag that .plist to Textedit. That should allow you to view the file.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Hi,

I think my girlfriend is removing browsing history from my macbook, I would like to know what she has been going on.

Is there any way for me recover deleted browsing history? or is there a way that I could save the history to a location and even if she removes the history it will still save?

Any help would be good.

Ask the NSA - they are bound to have a copy.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Double-click is unlikely to work, unless you previously have used some text editor to view a .plist.
You should be able to open that .plist with your favorite text editor.
One choice is to drag that .plist to Textedit. That should allow you to view the file.

Thanks, I tried dragging the file onto textedit on the dock but the resulting file is full of random characters. Should I try a different editor?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, you should be able to see the information (more or less) that is in the file. Just scan through the file, and you should see recent web sites by name (mixed in among the random-looking characters.

In my own file by that name - I only see the name of the last site that I browsed to, and not much more. I don't know how much more you can expect.

Bottom line, That file is probably not going to be terribly useful for snooping on someone's browsing history.
Likely more effective by locking down your Mac - or at least leaving access to your Mac only through a standard user account, where you can limit browsing through parental controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.