Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
My $.02 = If you're thinking about an SSD for a new iMac, Thunderbolt is the way to go, IMHO. Depending on which adapter/which SSD you choose, you can get the maximum throughput available on the drive without opening the case, or paying the rather high Apple SSD tax. There's lots of testing on the forum to bear this out.

Cheapest/most compatible route is the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop adapter (STA129; $150) and a single SSD of your choice, plus the Apple Thunderbolt cable ($49.00).
Faster than USB 3.0
More stable than USB 3.0, especially under heavy CPU load
Trim supported
Compatible with Boot Camp/Windows.

Another variation:
Pegasus J4 Thunderbolt Enclosure ($387.00) and up to four SSDs of your choice, plus the Apple Thunderbolt cable ($49.00).
Faster than USB 3.0
More stable than USB 3.0, especially under heavy CPU load
Trim supported
NOT Compatible with Boot Camp/Windows at this time; Pegasus tech support sez it's a new product, a Windows driver will be forthcoming but no ETA on it.

I'm going to be using both. I've tested both setups with TBolt on a late 2011 MacBook Pro, and they work crazy fast, both enclosures sleep and wake just fine, etc.

Why on earth would you pay for a thunderbolt enclosure when USB3 is as fast on single-drive SSDs and much cheaper?

1. From all the results I've seen, USB3 enclosure Thermaltake Silver River 5G is faster than the Seagate TB.
2. Not a lot of people will notice the "CPU load" since it is minimal and you'll need to be using 99% of your CPU in order to even notice the USB3 load. This is just a sales pitch to get TB which is more expensive.
3. TRIM is supported in some USB3 enclosures as well, just read the technical specifications.
4. USB3 is more compatible with Windows since it comes as standard on PCs while TB is just being introduced on the PC platform.
5. Did I mention that TB enclosures are more expensive? $150(+$49 cable) TB vs $25 USB3.

If you are going for a multiple drive configuration, then I agree; TB is the way to go. Otherwise, just get USB3.

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I just got the Thermaltake 5g Enclosure and TRIM Does Not Work, it is little faster then the Seagate TB adapter but its just little faster. . its is cheaper

I have Both I think I feel Safer with the Seagate TB then Thermaltake 5g usb3 since there alot of review saying the Thermaltake dies after 2months and there QA not very good

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Does anyone have experience using an SSD with the OWC Express USB 3.0 enclosure as a boot drive? This seems like a great option for under $30 given OWCs reputation.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ES2.5BU3S/

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I just ordered the seagate stae128 TB adapter and a Samsung 840 pro 256gb.

I'll post some results once I get it setup. I think I did a ton of research on what ssd to get. The main reason I went with the Samsung 840 pro was due to the very low power requirements. Best in class that I could find. I wanted to make sure I eliminated (as much as possible) power issues, drop outs, disconnects, etc.

This will be my boot drive, well see how it goes...

Ok, just got it setup today. Using as boot disk, CCC went perfect. Below are the speeds as reported by BlackMagic 5 gb stress test:

DiskSpeedTest.png

HUGE difference, I'm happy, now to see if it wakes from sleep...

Last edited:

capone007

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
How to set up external SSD as boot drive on the new iMac 27"

Hi,

I just got my new iMac 27" and want to set up an external SSD drive as my boot drive as I didn't get the Fusion Drive. I'm just not sure how to do it. Can someone explain or send me a link on how to do this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

----------

Hi,

I just got my new iMac 27" and want to make my external SSD my boot drive. I'm just not sure how to do that. Can someone explain or send me a link. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.

MotherFinMike

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
San Diego California
I'm using a buffalo mini station thunderbolt w/ a 256gb samsung 840pro on a 2011 imac which is working great as a boot drive

$179 for the buffalo mini station W/TB cable (500gb)
$250 samsung 840 pro

$429

8366627882_f9cd0879e2.jpg

----------

Ok, just got it setup today. Using as boot disk, CCC went perfect. Below are the speeds as reported by BlackMagic 5 gb stress test:

View attachment 389672

HUGE difference, I'm happy, now to see if it wakes from sleep...

Mine wakes on my buffalo mini station

Last edited:

youeyemind

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2013
Mike,

Was it difficult to pry the Buffalo open to put in the 840 pro? I have an 840 pro and I am considering this enclosure.

Thanks

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Mike,

Was it difficult to pry the Buffalo open to put in the 840 pro? I have an 840 pro and I am considering this enclosure.

Thanks

I too am considering this. I have a Buffalo TB\USB3 drive on order, and I have a 512gb SSD (Crucial) I'm thinking about prying open the Buffalo drive and putting in there. How difficult is it to do this? I just like the idea of better reliability as a boot drive vs usb3, and there don't seem to be any thunderbolt enclosures on their own on the market

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I'm using a buffalo mini station thunderbolt w/ a 256gb samsung 840pro on a 2011 imac which is working great as a boot drive

$179 for the buffalo mini station W/TB cable (500gb)
$250 samsung 840 pro

$429

----------

Mine wakes on my buffalo mini station

Very nice! Congrats...gotta love the 840 pro. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.