Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Simple question, simple answers - thanks for your help.

P.s.: I am leaning toward the Nuforce HDP, but would be glad to know if something of the same quality can be found for less.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
if you're only after D to A, check out the mytek stereo96 DAC. Fantastic gear, probably meets your price-point used.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
DAC section only, so no amp?

To be honest, I am just beginning with my sort of hi-fi needs; but I presume an amp would also be needed...nothing TOO strong but should cover both headphone and normal speaker needs. That is why I thought of the Nuforce HDP...anything better?

KimJongEun

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I have the Audinst HUD-MX1 which can be had for about $200. It's a fair bit cheaper than what you are looking at but IMO is a superb piece of kit.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Simple question, simple answers - thanks for your help.

P.s.: I am leaning toward the Nuforce HDP, but would be glad to know if something of the same quality can be found for less.

You do realize that of all the parts you'd need in a sound system the DAC i the least important and has the least effect of sound quality.

The single most important part is the speakers and the room itself.

Before anyone can recommend a DAC they would have to know what is the souurce material. Is it pre-recored CDs. MP3 files or something you recorded yourself. There is no need ofr a DAC that can handle 192K at 24 bits if you are listening to an MP3 or even a CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.