Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Apple remove the FireWire port from the iMac while retaining it on the Mac Pro, Mac mini and MacBook Pro.

So will this omission force you to get the dongle or will you transition to a USB 3 and thunderbolt setup? Really wish that one port was retained. Apple has a lot of space for it where they bunch up all the ports.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Guess you're best to get the adapter for now. I use FW for my external HD and music recording interface. My 2011 iMac has it of course, but if it did not, I'd consider the adapter first, until more USB 3 interfaces show up.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The vast majority of audio interfaces still use firewire. So dongle it is.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I use FireWire for my external storage (2 4TB WD My Book IIs), but my ATD does have FW so I'm still covered should I replace my 2011 iMac with a 2012 or 2013 model.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Apple remove the FireWire port from the iMac while retaining it on the Mac Pro, Mac mini and MacBook Pro.

So will this omission force you to get the dongle or will you transition to a USB 3 and thunderbolt setup? Really wish that one port was retained. Apple has a lot of space for it where they bunch up all the ports.

I got an adapter specially for when I get the new iMac.

I hope to get a Thunderbolt drive sooner or later.

Not gonna use USB 3.0 for video editing. Maybe backups, not video editing.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
even if a bottleneck did occur, at the throughput speeds could anyone tell? Also, most people only have 1 or maybe 2 externals so there isnt much to slow it up. AAAANNNNDDDD if they are on FW already, then they are already in a chain system.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US

This was one of the reasons why I took the iMac off my list of options for my next desktop. For serious audio interfaces there are very few choices with Thunderbolt - and those cost an arm and a leg still. USB3 doesn't exist at all. So FW is still the gold standard. I know that there is a TB to FW adapter but people have reported issues with those for audio. I know, Apple always knows best what is good for you just like the government - only when they don't. Same goes by the way for eliminating the CD drive. Still needed for a lot of creative folks - you know the people who initially made Apple what it is? I know I can buy an external drive and that's ok. I shouldn't have to pay extra for just because some arrogant designer with big frame glasses and a turtleneck thought it was in the way of world-dominance through ultra-chique appearance.

----------

The vast majority of audio interfaces still use firewire. So dongle it is.

Make sure that you don't have a bus powered interface. Apparently those don't work.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Are there any 3rd party adapters that does not cost as much as the Apple one?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Are there any 3rd party adapters that does not cost as much as the Apple one?

Not yet, the only other way around it is to get a Thunderbolt dock/hub thing, and they're extremely expensive.

----------

Make sure that you don't have a bus powered interface. Apparently those don't work.

I bought one specially for the new iMac, and I tried it on my 2011 11" MacBook Air and it could power my 7200rpm G-Drive Mini.

The larger drive I have uses the mains anyway so it doesn't matter if it can't power much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.