Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Is this Apple engineers testing the 6-core model, or is it spoofed?
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2085841

It's questionable because that's the Sandy Bridge clock speed for the 1660, not the expected 3.6 GHz of the Ivy Bridge version. But the RAM speed is right....

[/COLOR]To that I add the question: how easy is it to fake all those fields in a geekbench result?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
As there might only be a Mac Toy going forward, I started looking at Supermicro the other day.

Also, the next VMware Fusion only allows 16 cores per VM.

It's bad that Opteron does not yet have PCIe 3.0 . The price of Xeons is outrageous.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I just realized this...in their video on the website, it shows the 'processor' and explains that there are 12-core options, but they are only referring to a single-CPU Ivy Bridge chip. From what it looks like...Apple will not be offering a dual-CPU model.

12-core single chip will be the top option.

Looks like Apple dropped the ball on this one.

This is a natural progression for the new Mac Mini Pro. It certainly does have more in common with the Mini than the MP.

Given that this new machine breaks ranks, Apple may be testing the waters before releasing something even more powerful/expensive to see if they should continue the line. Apple praises itself and this single chip machines as being up to 2.5x faster than the fasted MP presently available. That is not a bad start.

If the price isn't too crazy (sigh), I may buy one to replace a Mac Mini. I have not had an MP for a long while but I do understand the concern for some professional to be able to get a faster more powerful system. I am far more concerned that when it comes out, it will have USB3 and the new USB3 will come out (much faster) as well as having to deal with Thunderbolt 2.x.

PhatHo

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Actually, for a dual-processor machine they should use a dual-tube configuration. Essentially fuse two tubes side by side. That way it would look like a jet pack.

And then you can add another tube on top and 2 more vertically on the sides with whatever expansion you can imagine. That way it will look like the space station. But black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.