Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milocool

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
thanx, i had nooo idea, i saw my mail folder was 30+gig on omnisweeper while i had deleted most of my messages (i thought)

raises another question though, how safe and private is your mail on their servers..

GDykstra

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Thank you!

I created an account just to say thank you as well---this has been driving me crazy for months!

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
raises another question though, how safe and private is your mail on their servers..

I don't want to open up a can of worms regarding how "safe" and "private" your mail is on Google's servers, as it will get the thread wayyyyy off topic and there are probably entire websites devoted to the issue. However, I will offer a thought relative to this thread.

Google doesn't really want you to delete anything, because the more data they have to sift, the better they can understand you, the consumer. They want to show you ads, that create revenue. The more effective their ads are (pertinent to your interests, habits and needs), the more revenue they can generate.

I'm glad to see this thread has helped others. I will say that in the time since I first started it, I've come to rely less and less on my Mac (and OS X Mac Mail) and more on iOS on iPhone and iPad to handle my mail. I dare say I could do without Mail on the Mac entirely. I just happen to like the bigger screen and keyboard. But at some point, I hope I'll just be able to project my iPad/iPhone onto my Cinema Display and the Mac will become less and less necessary. That is where this is going.... right?

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
My system won't enable me to select "Trash" when I try to "Use this Mailbox for" with the Trash Mailbox. Is there something else I'm not doing correctly? I've turned the Auto Expunge Off as well.

How is it that something that should be so simple is so complicated?!

Agreed- I am not able to select the use this mailbox for. It is grayed out.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
Agreed- I am not able to select the use this mailbox for. It is grayed out.

Hmmm... OK, so first off, I'm still using OS X 10.7.5, so I can't speak for anything in regards to Mountain Lion. However,

Are you trying to select one of the "Trash" items listed in the sidebar under "Mailboxes" (the ones that look like Trash cans). If so, that won't work. You need to select an actual folder (with a Folder icon) which will be further down the sidebar.

I've checked several folders and always get the "Use this Mailbox for...Trash" option as available, never greyed out.

HankBukowski

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Thank you very much for this solution. I've been trying to figure this out for DAYS and have gone through 4 prescriptions of Valium.

Joy, just pure joy on finding this thread.

Thanks

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just had this request from a client (specifically, that deleted emails keep coming back) and assumed it was an anomoly. Completely forgot about that pesky "All Mail" IMAP sync folder - so this resolution is bound to work! With a bit of user training (or hiding the All Mail folder), I hope to never see this again.

Kind thanks for the in-depth explanation!

fguzman07

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I've figured it out. I can't say there's really one clear method listed elsewhere, I just kinda pieced it together. Here is the solution, as clearly as I see it. This is how you can permanently delete Gmail messages using Apple Mail. I'm using Mail 5.0 on Lion 10.7, but this probably works for 4.x/10.6.

You should have already enabled IMAP in Gmail via Mail Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > IMAP Access. Auto-Expunge should be ON by default. Don't forget to "Save Changes" if you've adjusted anything.

In Apple Mail, under Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors, make sure that both options are checked "On" for Trash. (Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox; and Store deleted messages on the server.) The option to "Permanently erase deleted messages when:" can be set to whatever duration you wish, but I'm using "One day old" to give me a few hours to change my mind if I need to fetch a message back from the dead.

Next, in Apple Mail, you will need to "Show" the sidebar that lists accounts and folders if it's not visible already. Find the Gmail account, and look in the [Gmail] folder. Select the Trash folder, then choose in the top menu Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Trash. (While doing that, you might also want to choose to map the other folders Drafts -> Drafts, Sent Mail -> Sent, and Spam -> Junk, although none of those really has anything to do with this issue of permanently deleting mail.)

Now, here's what happens with the above settings:

When you are viewing an email in the inbox and choose to delete it, hit the delete key, as you would expect. Normally this would result in the message being removed from the Gmail inbox but remaining in the Gmail All Mail folder (aka label). But with the above settings, the message is also removed from All Mail, and goes straight to the Gmail Trash folder. At this point, the message will disappear either automatically (eventually, depending on your duration set above to "permanently erase deleted messages"), or you can immediately *manually* permanently erase the deleted messages, using the menu Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items > In All Accounts... (or use the shortcut key shift+cmd+delete).

I think everything above is accurate, and I hope I've used enough key words and phrases that someone with the same problem might find this, and save themselves the 2 hours it took me to figure it out!

----------

Here's another tip for using Gmail via IMAP in Apple Mail:

Turn off the visibility of the Gmail All Mail folder in Apple Mail.

Go to Gmail via the browser, and enter Mail Settings > Labels, then UNCHECK "Show in IMAP".

Not only will this remove the superfluous folder from your Mail app, it will also keep Mail from downloading every single message twice (and those duplicates showing up in Spotlight searches).

I've done the same with the Spam folder, too.

----------

The same ability to delete (not archive) email is also possible using iOS 5+ on iPhone/iPod/iPad:

After setting up your gmail account on your iPhone, go back into Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> (youraccount@gmail.com) and change the Archive Messages setting to OFF.

Now when you delete gmail messages on your iOS device they will be permanently deleted and not archived.

Hi Blairwillis. Have you figured out how to achieve the same under Mavericks and Mail 7.0?

rhinoman21

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
This post is awesome, BlairWillis. Thank you very much for going through the steps to let us all be able to delete our messages.

I have a question, however. There are, indeed, some messages that I want to delete forever. These messages contain sensitive information that I do not want simply floating around (although we may argue that they are already and will always float around, but this is another topic). I have followed your instructions to set things up in a way that when I delete an email it gets deleted.

However, there are some emails that I do not mind being archived in "All Mail." For instance, a conversation with a friend is generally something that I would like to keep. I took your suggestion at the end of your solution:

Here's another tip for using Gmail via IMAP in Apple Mail:

Turn off the visibility of the Gmail All Mail folder in Apple Mail.

Go to Gmail via the browser, and enter Mail Settings > Labels, then UNCHECK "Show in IMAP".

Not only will this remove the superfluous folder from your Mail app, it will also keep Mail from downloading every single message twice (and those duplicates showing up in Spotlight searches).

I've done the same with the Spam folder, too.

as I do not want duplicates of my emails being downloaded by Mail. However, I was wondering if there were a way to implement and use the "All Mail" folder without Mail downloading emails twice?

An initial solution I thought of was to just make a new mailbox to archive things in myself, but I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish the above mentioned idea using the given Gmail "All Mail" folder?

Thank you, again, for your brilliant post.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
However, there are some emails that I do not mind being archived in "All Mail."
I was wondering if there were a way to implement and use the "All Mail" folder without Mail downloading emails twice?

An initial solution I thought of was to just make a new mailbox to archive things in myself, but I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish the above mentioned idea using the given Gmail "All Mail" folder?

My strategy is this:

Email that I keep either stays in my inbox or gets filed in an appropriate folder.

The drawback is that my inbox is thousands deep, but I only pay attention to the most recent, flagged, or unread messages.

If I read a message that's important and requires action however I'm not prepared to do so, then I might actually mark it as "unread" so I'm 100% sure to notice it next time.

Theoretically, I would prefer a totally clean inbox. So in that case I might create a single "catch-all" folder for "old mail" that I could move anything and everything to once I'm done with it. That's for any message that doesn't already have a specific folder already. As my personal approach to email evolves, I feel less of a need to ever revisit much of anything, so less specific filing seems necessary. I still very much feel the need to delete (permanently) messages that I'm 100% sure I never want to see again, but most of what I keep doesn't need to be "organized" beyond the ability of search functions.

In fact, most of my filed mail is automatically filed using gmail filters before I even read it. It's non-critical and non-time sensitive mail that I might eventually read but doesn't need to be in my inbox ever. Example: Newsletters from a professional organization that might arrive weekly but I'm fine with only taking a look at them once every few months.

pistolpnm

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
also running maverick and it doesn't work

Hi Blairwillis. Have you figured out how to achieve the same under Mavericks and Mail 7.0?

I am also running maverick and it doesn't work. For just the gmail accounts on my mac, the "use this mailbox for" options are grayed out. Its available for iCloud or yahoo but not gmail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.