Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circa7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Im coming from a windows pc with a SSD that produces 250mb/s and just bought a macbook pro. I'm deciding on a new drive - I need extra space but down want to spend $500 to get it. Since my current SSD isn't BLAZING fast, would I notice that much difference with a momentus?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Im coming from a windows pc with a SSD that produces 250mb/s and just bought a macbook pro. I'm deciding on a new drive - I need extra space but down want to spend $500 to get it. Since my current SSD isn't BLAZING fast, would I notice that much difference with a momentus?

Here's a CNET review of that drive. It only has 8 gigs of flash ram.

http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/seagate-momentus-xt-second/4505-9998_7-35089066.html#!

I looked at this when I upgraded my 08 MBP but passed for a Western Digital Scorpio Black and a 128 gig SSD.

Dale

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I've got the older 1st Gen 500 GB Momentus XT humming away quite nicely in my 2006 Core Duo MacBook. The paltry 8 GB of Flash is a significant weakpoint of the Momentus XT, and that Flash memory is used by the drive as a read cache; all writes go directly to the hard drive. On the upside it is a 7200 rpm drive, with a healthy 32 MB cache.

In terms of price/performance, it normally doesn't beat out the combo of a decent large hard drive and an SSD, but it is worth looking into if it's on sale; I got mine when one of my local dealers had a $50 off sale; leaving it costing about as much as an equivalent 8 MB 5400 rpm drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.