Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I personally love the look of the ipad, aside from the minor changes they made from the 1 to the 2 I wouldn't change a thing, it's slick and sexy :p

Hmmm. I often thought to myself how ugly the ipad is. Certainly the mini is a huge improvement. The mba 11 elicits awe, like a Porsche. The full size ipad lacks any sense of design nuance. It is very functional, however.

----------

Is it possible they didn't redesign it so as not to really piss off 3rd gen iPad owners? Or maybe they're saving the new design for when they're able to make the iPad thinner and lighter?

They didn't redesign it because the focus was on the mini debut. The full size update was not a full release. It was not even publicized before the event

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Funny how everyone is counting down the days until a retina ipad mini or an ipad 5. Yet a couple weeks ago everyone was complaining about how apple updated the full size ipad twice in one year. Can't win with crazy apple fans.

Lets get one thing clear. 2012 is proof that apple will be upgrading when they see fit based on current technology and not waiting for artificial timelines. So get used to it. The upgrades are not going to be amazing every time.

Also, there is no way apple will upgrade the ipad mini to an A6X chip (necessary for retina) without upgrading the full size ipad to an A7 variant. The earliest may be June. But this year will be all about software anyway since 2012 was the year of hardware and Jony I've has been tasked to redesign iOS. The man can only do so much in a few months. Apple will be spending the first half of 2013 concentrating on software for WWDC in June.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Let's go back in time.

September: New iPhone. Iphone 5. Completely redesigned, thinner, lighter brand new lightning charger port, polished aluminum bezel etc. etc. etc.

Oct ~ Nov: iPad Mini. Thin, light, polished bezel, lightning port.
iPad 4. Same old, heavy and bulky design as iPad 2, brand new lightning port and a faster processor.

My question is since they had time to redesign the iPhone and create the iPad Mini, why couldn't they redesign the iPad 4?

Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4. It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" :rolleyes: and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.

Very easy answer, Ipad 4 was just there to sell the lightning connector. Changes aren't much, just the processor which help the battery life and new port. Ipad 3 was find the way it was and less people complained because they can take the offset of retina display vs shorter battery life.

Ipad mini is not redesigned, it look just like Ipad but just smaller and thiner bezels. Basic looks is still very similar. If they make the edge more square and made the device out of glass like Iphone 4 then it would be a redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.