Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
If it's broken ( and you didn't break it ), then they'll fix it ( or at least try to fix it / replace it ).

Not to mentioned that you have a 14 days return period... no questions asked and you get your money back. How many other companies do that? Right...

No, they try to tell you the IR is 'within spec'. And try to cover it up as much as possible.

What planet is you from? The one where companies put customers first? Here it's the shareholders.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
No, they try to tell you the IR is 'within spec'. And try to cover it up as much as possible.

What planet is you from? The one where companies put customers first? Here it's the shareholders.

Don't make stuff up... I have never stated that Apple puts customers first, that's just naive. But warranty is warranty ( else there are other legal measure that can be taken but I have never heard anyone getting to such heights with Apple over such an issue )... as for the Planet: I'm from a Planet where once you take a product in because it's faulty, they smile and help you out. They give you a replacement or fix whatever is broken if possible.

It's not my fault that the Planet you live on is all about covering stuff up... maybe try relocating? :rolleyes:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Don't make stuff up... I have never stated that Apple puts customers first, that's just naive. But warranty is warranty ( else there are other legal measure that can be taken but I have never heard anyone getting to such heights with Apple over such an issue )... as for the Planet: I'm from a Planet where once you take a product in because it's faulty, they smile and help you out. They give you a replacement or fix whatever is broken if possible.

It's not my fault that the Planet you live on is all about covering stuff up... maybe try relocating? :rolleyes:

Actually, I was thinking about doing just that. Your planet sounds like paradise.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
How about you realize that some people's normal use is different from your own. For instance, some people's normal use involves editing images in Photoshop, and panning their image leaves ghosted remnants of it which must then clear before editing can continue. That's a lot of downtime waiting for a problem to resolve itself that shouldn't even be there to begin with.

Thats my point. If it shows up from normal (whatever that may be) use then replace it. If not, don't go poking at it.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Actually, I was thinking about doing just that. Your planet sounds like paradise.

There's no such thing as paradise. :) There are pros and cons to everything / every place, BUT at least on my Planet, most of the "core things" that any civilized person would expect to be working properly, are actually working properly.

Good luck with the relocating if you ever decide to actually take the step. :cool:

teeejay

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
Got LG screen, it was ok for 4 months just a little IR, but one day I turned it on and there was bunch of dead pixels. On the left side of the screen.

I took it in. Came back with Samsung screen and so far so good :)

I do not regret buying rMBP, I am enjoying it!

seantyas

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
Is this what you mean?

Would this be what is considered defective? this is after 10 min exactly.

IMG_5505.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have not had any ghosting problems. It may seem more prolific here because people come to forums to complain about issues and seek help. People generally do not come to a forum just to say they don't have a problem (though that does occur from time to time).

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I think it is both a problem and a non-issue to some.

I think that most people will never see it, and therefore think it doesn't exist. This is fine. I think that is what Apple is counting on. Unfortunately, some people use the machine in such a way that you will see it. I have static things on the display which caused me to see it. In a given day I spend about 5 solid hours coding in Visual Studio. When I would flip over to sublime text or something with a solid background I would see the "chrome" of Visual Studio.

I just can't accept this on a $2500 machine. Apple may think it is fine (and tell you to use a screen saver), but I can't use the machine like that. I never will.

For Apple, to start using Samsung displays in their replacements, really says something to me. The LG displays do exhibit Image Retention. Some people just don't see it.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I took my rMBP into the Omaha store. It spent a week in the repair depot, but they ended up replacing the LG display with a Samsung. Much better and no IR.

seantyas

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
^ I think the dirt is the biggest problem there not the ghosting.
Sheesh, clean your screen for God's sake!

thats the flash haha, its pretty much perfectly fine. u only see the specks cuz of the flash. Relax ;)

but i checked with Terminal and sure enough my display is LG. gonna wait until I don't need the machine then get it replaced, im with everyone else in that this is unacceptable for this pricetag. Not only that, it never holds a wifi connection on wake. So annoying.....

This machine was such a mix of win and fail out of the gates. I hope a replacement unit works better.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
i just got my 13 inch retina and it does have the ghosting when i try the "checkerboard" test :(

what irritates me is that it was apparently manufactured last november o_O

also cant check what manufacturer i got bc the terminal command doesnt work on the 13 inch

It must be intermittent since the one I just got a few days ago was made in October, but doesn't have the ghosting issue even with the checkerboard test.

phixionalninja

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

Fortunately, every interaction I've had with Apple has demonstrated that they tend to employ friendly and helpful people, and they give their employees a certain amount of wiggle room in helping the customer.

However, their official image retention test is terrible. My LG screen showed serious IR during normal usage, to the point where any serious photo editing was impossible without giving the screen a rest first (truly, unacceptable, and I didn't have to go hunting for it). The guy at the Genius Bar saw it clearly when I brought my machine in (no special demonstration necessary), and commented on it before running the official test. He ran the test and... nothing. Neither of us could see the pattern on such a dark screen.

Since the issue was so clear outside of the test though, he clicked "fail" on the test report, and as of today my machine is back with a lovely replacement Samsung screen (thus far issue free, even with a checkerboard torture test).

Apple employees are great, but that official test stinks of corporate shenanigans.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

Sound advice. My external monitor is also an IPS with an LG panel and I've had always the screen saver kick in after around 3 minutes and the screen to power off after around 5 minutes.

I've never had any IR problems at all, I'm hoping the same treatment will mean that my rMBP screen also stays IR free.

Last edited:

bithacker

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008

I don't know what experiences you had with Apple. As a long time customer of their products (my first that *I* owned was a 6500/300 circa '97, worked on em back to 1991), I can tell you that they will bend over backwards for the customer.

Now to eat my words about IR. I too thought the issue was overblown and my 2 week old rMBP was fine, no IR and had the LG display.

Now my regular use: 12-15 hour days at times and a combination of static screens, heavy processor usage and some time blowing off steam gaming. Pretty much standard use for a power user and other folks on these forums.

So I figure I am out of the woods on the issue and at almost the 1 month mark... BANG there it is. The screen save came on (Arabesque for the interested), and I could make out several screens that had been open for no more than 3-5 minutes. Through Arabesque no less, so it was pretty bad. Mostly the left hand side of the screen too.. just a touch on the right half.

So now the good part, I show up and open a few screens and wait 5 minutes. I show the tech when I clear the desktop with a gray background you can clearly see it. They couldn't make the appointment fast enough to replace the screen (which coincidently is a Samsung one now).

So I have to reverse my stance, I think that this issue is likely more pervasive than I thought, likely shows up after a month of usage (based on other posts and personal experience, and is addressed by using a Samsung replacement (part number 661-7171 according to the repair sheet).

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I'm so happy mine shipped with a samsung. replacing it here would take probably more than a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.